AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple of 4:3 commercials for this upcoming season but saw a 16:9 commerical during NASCAR. So I was wondering if anyone knew if this was going to be HD or WS SD? The first couple of shots looked HD but the last couple looked SD.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast /forum/post/0

I've seen a couple of 4:3 commercials for this upcoming season but saw a 16:9 commerical during NASCAR. So I was wondering if anyone knew if this was going to be HD or WS SD? The first couple of shots looked HD but the last couple looked SD.

Hell's Kitchen was a UK show first aired on the ITV network in the UK (first series starred Gordon Ramsay - but he is now exclusive to Channel Four in the UK) It was 16:9 SD. Think the US picked up the format - tweaked somewhat (the original show had celebrities not "real" people training under Gordon)

AIUI it is made in the US by ITV's US production arm Granada America? If so they've made a few other shows for the US market in 16:9 SD I believe (one for Fox?) - and the style of the show in the UK was to use small wall mounted cameras in the kitchen for some of the coverage. Whilst HD small cameras are available - it could be these are still SD 16:9?

Could be HD, could be SD 16:9 or could be a mix I guess...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
FOX can't produce HD promos, so anything seen in those is widescreen SD. That said, all the information I have seen on this show makes no mention of HD, so odds are good that it won't be. Was this even widescreen in past seasons? I can't remember ...

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor /forum/post/0

FOX can't produce HD promos, so anything seen in those is widescreen SD. That said, all the information I have seen on this show makes no mention of HD, so odds are good that it won't be. Was this even widescreen in past seasons? I can't remember ...

All of the Fox ads are SD? Wow, some of them look like crystal-clear HD

·
Registered
3,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgerskid /forum/post/0

All of the Fox ads are SD? Wow, some of them look like crystal-clear HD

Yes, though they look so good, people routinely mistake them for HD. One of the reasons for that is they are generally filled with a lot of quick cuts, so your eye really doesn't have time to lock in the lack of fine detail.

Now just to be clear (pun intended) FOX can and does run HD commercials -- but those are supplied to them by the advertiser. The promos for network programming are produced in-house, and they don't have any HD editing gear.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:

sneals what format are Kitchen Nightmares and F Word in? Nightmares is going to be on FOX this fall here in the US.

Both are 16:9 - all UK domestic production for major networks has been 16:9 for years. Both are SD AFAIK - Channel Four, the network which commissions and broadcasts them from an independent production company, has no HD outlets at the moment. Nightmares is a location-based documentary style show shot on camcorders. F Word is a mix of "studio" and location-based stuff, though the "studio" stuff is shot multi-camera with camcorders+cameras feeding recorders rather than a production truck or in a real studio AIUI.

The F Word is graded to hell over here to make Gordon's eyes appear vividly blue - but it means the skin tones have a strange orange blotchiness I suspect.

I wouldn't want to hazard a guess how these will be shot in the US. If they use the same production model and are shooting HD, then they'd need to be shot on XDCam HD, DVCProHD/P2 HD or HDCam camcorders I guess (and F Word relies on small-ish cameras mounted on the walls for the in-kitchen stuff - like Nightmares) which may be an issue.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor /forum/post/0

That is suppose to change later this year when the TOC is upgraded to HD. That should also stop that annoying switch to SD in the last few seconds before a commercial break during NFL games.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts

Quote:

sneals what format are Kitchen Nightmares and F Word in? Nightmares is going to be on FOX this fall here in the US.

So, are they going to be running the original UK versions or are they going to d new shows based on teh same concept. If the latter, that would be awesome since we ahve seen all the Nightmares shows on BBC America already, but I know most people have not, so I can see it either way.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L /forum/post/0

So, are they going to be running the original UK versions or are they going to d new shows based on teh same concept. If the latter, that would be awesome since we ahve seen all the Nightmares shows on BBC America already, but I know most people have not, so I can see it either way.

I went to the FOX website the other day and they are accepting applications for US based restaraunts. So I'm guessing they are doing the show concept over here.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L /forum/post/0

Do they still play these on BBC america? If so I definately need to set it to record. I love that show.

Update: It looks like they'll be playing the premiere episodes of Boiling Point & Kitchen Nightmares on 6/3. Another episode of KN is going to play on 6/7, but I don't see any other listings for KN or BP.
Hopefully they'll play more in the future.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
They have been playing Kitchen Nightmares episodes sporadically lately as we see them pop up on the To Do list or Now Playing from time to time and get all excited until we realize it is a repeat and not new shows.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Nice to see a reality show in something other than SD. Should help to see how good (or bad) the food really looks and if they really got the plates cleaned when they wipe them off at the Pass.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 /forum/post/0

Hell's Kitchen was a UK show first aired on the ITV network in the UK

That is completely unrelevant information. Last season was shot in LA.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohnMD /forum/post/0

That is completely unrelevant information. Last season was shot in LA.

Sorry - I don't think it is irrelevant. The last US season may have been shot in LA - but there are countries other than the US, and at the moment quite a lot of US shows are based around formats developed in, and imported from, the UK.

The "Hell's Kitchen" format originated in the UK (before the US productions), not the US, and the format has been bought for use in the US. The fact that the original format production in the UK was 16:9 SD may well have been relevant for some here.

The other fact that might have been relevant is that the UK format no longer features Gordon Ramsay, as he signed a UK-exclusive deal with another network (Channel Four) who commissioned the original "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" format, alongside "The F Word", again both of which have always been 16:9. (Many consider this a smart move - as although Hell's Kitchen may have got higher ratings as it is on a mainstream network, the other two formats are deemed to be better programmes. "Nightmares" in particular is a riveting watch, and Gordon comes over as massively more human, as well as knowing his stuff, in both shows.)

1 - 20 of 396 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.