AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was trying to upgrade my hard drive for my ps3 tonight to a bigger hard drive. i was able to unscrew all the nails except one nail on the enclosing case!!! that nail is totally f up!!! now it is a nice tiny round hole and can't turn either way. so here are a couple of questions:

1. why does sony use some of these cheap ass screw when they know eventually most of us will upgrade to a bigger hdd? i almost mess up the other screws if i wasn't careful and put some force to it. are they saving to save a couple bux or what?

2. can i call sony up and tell them about my problem and will they send me another hard drive enclosing case with some nails? if not, do i need to ship my ps3 back? i dont want to ship my whole ps3 back and risk of shipping damage!

3. what is sony ps3 800 #? do i need to provide them my ps3 serial # when i call?

4. is there any website out there that sell the ps3 hdd enclosing case? if so, what website and how much? links would be appreciated.

now i'm still stuck with the 20 gb on my ps3 for now until i resolve this problem. thx in advance.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Generally, screws get stripped by using an inappropriately sized bit. The easiest way to fix it is with a screw extractor like in this set . It should be fairly easy to find a replacement screw at a hardware store along with an extractor that's appropriately sized.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg /forum/post/14240940

Generally, screws get stripped by using an inappropriately sized bit. The easiest way to fix it is with a screw extractor like in this set . It should be fairly easy to find a replacement screw at a hardware store along with an extractor that's appropriately sized.

sorry if it sounds like an insult...but did u read my thread carefully, i said i was able to remove all the nails except one...so obviously i was using the correct sized bit. but those nails that sony use..u gotta admit...is pretty lame and weak. i just did a google on it and alot of ppl are also having the same problem.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glum /forum/post/14240991

needle nose pliers to turn screw head is the best option for you at this point

u have a link for needle nose pliers..what does it looks like? links would be great.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any1 know sony 800 #? i will give them a call tomorrow to see if i can get a the hard drive enclosing case send to me.

·
Registered
191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc /forum/post/14241111

well well..what do u know...look at this thread...same exact problem as me...the one screw that i was having a problem on the enclosing case.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=sony+800

No-one is debating the fact that you have stripped a screw, you do not need to quote other threads to back up your post. People here have tried to help. It is indeed a very common problem and as was suggested here, needle nose pliers would be a good bet.

Surely you could google what needle nose pliers are, or what Sony's phone number is. With that said, Sony will not just send you out a new enclosure. You will at least have to send in your current unit. This would mean a period of time without the PS3, when you could just as easily fix this problem yourself by taking the advice offered in this thread.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
A Mini Vise-Grip might be a better option, or a screw extractor like previosly mentioned. Me personally I would drill out the stripped screw head and assemble it back together with three screws. Like the old mechanic's adage, "If three won't hold it, then four never will."

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
First, they are screws, not nails.

Second, you used an inappropriately sized bit for the screws. You were lucky you didn't strip the rest of them.

Third -- and most importantly -- try not to be rude. I know you are frustrated but you come off as obnoxious.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had this same problem with the screws in my enclosure, but eventually got them all out. I just hope I don't need to replace the HDD again because that could get dicey.

To everyone giving this guy a hard time... He's obviously from another country and does not have a strong grasp of the English language. Some of the subtleties are lost on him, so give him a break. If I'm wrong and he actually lives in an English-speaking country, then his grade school teachers should be shot.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fyi...just call sony up and they are sending me a replacement trays and screws.

i would like to thank who are helpful to me and i'm putting some the users here on my ignore list who offers no help and giving me a hard time...including johnstep10. telling me i use the incorrect drill bit when i was able to remove all the other screws with no problem except for one....lol. give me a break. u think i dont know what i'm doing? this is a well known defective screws..u can google that son.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If it's such a well known defect, why not post in the thread you quoted above rather than making a new thread just to piss and moan about the same problem?

Do you really think that you're that special that you needed to start a new thread to discuss something that you yourself found the answer to?

As for ignoring people.... go right ahead and ignore those that tried to help you solve your problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am sure most people may ignore you after making a rude comment like that. When you get your new enclosure be sure to hammer the nails in all the way. But don't do it too tight or you may not be able to unscrew the nails in the future...

·
Banned
9,953 Posts
Just because you can remove 3 out of 4 screws, doesn't mean you're using the proper tool.

I frequently make due and remove screws with smaller bits then needed, but you do run the risk of stripping them. I'd calm down, it was a valid concern. Good on Sony in the end!

As an observation, a proper sized bit, that itself isn't damaged, will do the job 99.9% of the time. I've only had issues when I didn't have the proper screwdriver.

And you probably guessed it, but when you screw it back up don't screw it as tight as it was. Unless you move your PS3 frequently, I'd keep from screwing it as tight as they were.

All this talk about screwin's got me going!

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrodie617 /forum/post/14242972

If it's such a well known defect, why not post in the thread you quoted above rather than making a new thread just to piss and moan about the same problem?

Do you really think that you're that special that you needed to start a new thread to discuss something that you yourself found the answer to?

As for ignoring people.... go right ahead and ignore those that tried to help you solve your problem.

^^^ welcome to my ignore list.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marekv /forum/post/14243012

I am sure most people may ignore you after making a rude comment like that. When you get your new enclosure be sure to hammer the nails in all the way. But don't do it too tight or you may not be able to unscrew the nails in the future...

^^^ another person to my ignore list.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc /forum/post/14241026

sorry if it sounds like an insult...but did u read my thread carefully, i said i was able to remove all the nails except one...so obviously i was using the correct sized bit. but those nails that sony use..u gotta admit...is pretty lame and weak. i just did a google on it and alot of ppl are also having the same problem.

Yes, I did. I put a qualifier in my post, but even without it it's true. It's also fairly easy to actually use an inappropriately sized bit (not drill bit as you referred to it) and turn a screw without stripping it. If there's even a tiny amount of play when the bit is inserted into the screw head, then it's not the right size, and if you need to apply force you run a good chance of partially stripping the screw head. Continue to do this or bear down with even more force and you end up with the situation you have. My guess is that a lot of people are just grabbing a #0 Philips and going to town, and it's probably not the right bit for the job, which is why you end up with posts about stripped screws. Why do you think most screw kits used in precision work have upwards of 100 bits?

Feel free to put me on your ignore list for trying to offer some advice and help, though.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg /forum/post/14243093

Yes, I did. I put a qualifier in my post, but even without it it's true. It's also fairly easy to actually use an inappropriately sized bit (not drill bit as you referred to it) and turn a screw without stripping it. If there's even a tiny amount of play when the bit is inserted into the screw head, then it's not the right size, and if you need to apply force you run a good chance of partially stripping the screw head. Continue to do this or bear down with even more force and you end up with the situation you have. My guess is that a lot of people are just grabbing a #0 Philips and going to town, and it's probably not the right bit for the job, which is why you end up with posts about stripped screws. Why do you think most screw kits used in precision work have upwards of 100 bits?

Feel free to put me on your ignore list for trying to offer some advice and help, though.

yes i did verify the correct drill bit...i'm a computer tech myself..i uninstall and reinstall hardware parts like hdd many times. so i do know what i'm doing and have the correct drill bit. as for the part of putting you on my ignore list...i won't cuz u been very helpful unlike some here who offer no help except for putting ppl down.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.