AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...I've been back on here combing through threads and getting back up to speed from almost a 6 year hiatus. Now that my Sammy HLN617W purchased in 2003 has fried a 2nd color wheel and gone through 5 lamps, the time has come to put 'er down for good and get a new television. My research has lead me to the following three displays and I'd appreciate any additional feedback. Assume for the time being that I am comfortable with the technical specs of each and relavent PQ and would be indifferent watching any of them, because I've read the 151FD vs P65V10 thread already. The struggles I am having are as follows:

For starters, I need a television as soon as possible. Replacing the color wheel (again) will cost over $500.

Kuro 151FD:

How does everyone feel about buying arguably the best 60" plasma display currently on the market, given that Pioneer is exiting the business? Does the relative cost warrant making this investment? The upside is that I can get one today if I want it.

Panasonic P65V10:

Everything I've read leads me to believe this is one of the most highly anticipated sets in a while. The problem is I don't know how long I'd have to wait. Currently estimated to be released in August of 2009, who knows if this is the case or how difficult it will be to get one on demand. Love the price point and the V10 series seems to be heir to the Elite.

Sony 55XBR8:

This is the only LCD I am even considering, and mainly due to the fact that the LED tech most closely approaches the PQ of plasma (but not quite). The other consideration is not having a break-in period and I am assuming it would be highly compatible with my Sony HDV HD1. Downside is screen size is only 55", which is like asking Jessica Simpson to get a boob reduction.

Appreciate any and all comments, and if there are any other displays I should consider, don't hesitate to recommend.

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Angel /forum/post/16909756

Kuro 151FD:

How does everyone feel about buying arguably the best 60" plasma display currently on the market, given that Pioneer is exiting the business? Does the relative cost warrant making this investment? The upside is that I can get one today if I want it.

I think most Kuro fans will admit the 141 is the best 60" plasma.

Quote:
Panasonic P65V10:

the V10 series seems to be heir to the Elite.

It's extremely unlikely that anything for next while be a legitimate heir. Illegitimate maybe.

Quote:
Sony 55XBR8:

The other consideration is not having a break-in period

No modern plasma requires a break-in. The stuff in the manuals is CYA for the manuf.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I can get a 60" 151FD for $4,500 by tomorrow and am strongly leaning that direction. Ironically, the dealer who also carries the XBR8, told me that model is going to be discontinued.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
buy the Pro151 tomorrow and start enjoying it asap. thats a good deal on a great tv.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts