AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all i would like to greet or should i say great job/contribution to all avs members.


i'm having a hard time deciding which system i'm going to build, i dont have any knowledge or experience when it comes to ht setup. i'm still in search of matched receiver and speakers. i'm living in a apartment on the second floor thats why i don't consider having a sb bcoz it will cause sound wave vibration to the floor. what i have in mind is a set of towers for front and a center speaker. setup usage is; movie (40%) remaining (60%) general type of music listening. setup will be put in the common area (living room) approx. 25'x11'x9'. 5.0 setups are welcomed too. my budget is around usd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
I liked the PSB t-55 real well and wanted to buy some a while back. I can't remember what I thought about the Paradigms and Kef's listed.


What about buying 5 identical bookshelf speakers?..Or at least 3 identical ones for the front, then smaller ones for the rear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup, i was thinking about having bookshelf speakers, but i've read from one of the thread here that tower speakers have a deeper bass sound compared to a bookshelfs. from my list i lean more towards the tower fronts.. thanks for your suggestion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
Well if you can't have bass from a sub, how can you have bass from a tower speaker?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had read somewhere from one of these threads, i totally can't remember which one is it, that having tower front is enough, well yes it can't be compared to a system that has a sub on it. according from them that most towers can handle the bass loads, i'm not sure if it is the 2way or 3way. i don't like dropping the sub, since i'm living in apartment i have to do it. cheers...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
When I've listened in various stores between similar bookshelves and tower units, the towers not only have deeper and more effortless bass, but better mids as a result too, typically. It's not quite like having a sub, but certainly still quite good. Unfortunately, tuning or turning the bass down on a tower isn't as flexible, whereas with a smaller bookshelf sitting way up off the floor it won't tend to couple as much bass to the floor, plus then utilizing a separate sub will be more flexible with bass volume. Ok, so I'm rambling a bit through my thoughts here. Basically, a set of towers will serve you well and give great impact. They'll also likely provide a flatter response overall than a comperable same manufacturer's bookshelf unit. But, a properly tuned sub (not set hot) with a set of bookshelve units may be more apartment friendly. You can turn the sub way down when necessary. You can also place the sub in an ideal location (not over a neighbors room) and perhaps even elevate the sub box off the floor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
makes sense, having speakers away from the floor will reduce sounds that will be transmitted to the floor or beyond it. thanks for your insights, it really broadened my perspective on that part, so now i don't really have to stick to towers only, now i do have more options and type of speakers to choose from. any suggestions for fronts and subs. tnx..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had audition paradigm monitor7, it sounds warm on classical musics but it lacks low on fast/upbeat music, i also had a chance to audition polk lsi400, i would say i like the clarity on paradigm but polk lsi400 sounds warmer, i'm not sure if its my hearing or the acoustics of the room. next time i'll be bringing a cd with songs that i always listen to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
You could also get towers and but them on a sound dampening stand. Many people do this when they have wood floors for example. It makes it so the bass does not transmit through the floor but still allows you to get great bass sound from the towers.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top