AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all - i just bought a sony 36hs510, pq is fantastic -but- last night while watching a 16:9 movie i noticed the upper black bar was tilting or lower on the left side - the lower black bar appeared to be fine. i tried to fix it with the tilt funtion but that did not help. this morning i borrow a sound & vision ht tune-up dvd and ran a crosshatch pattern and it clearly shows the upper left hand corner sloping down about 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch; also the h and c positions are not set correctly.

first, what is wrong with the set - is it geometry or convergence? how can i fix this? are there any step by step instructions?

somewhere in the forum i read how to get into the service menu, can this be fixed through the sm?

thanks for the help

MJC

·
Registered
385 Posts
If it's very slight, I'm not sure you should worry about it. You can easily mess with geometry in the service menu, but it normally affects both sides, so if you managed to correct the left side, the right side may be tilted slightly upwards as a result. I have a very slight tilt on the leftmost 2 or so inches of my 36hs500 as well, but it's not enough to fuss over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with hollismb as far as adjustments effecting 2 sides in most cases.

One other thought, if you want to go this far, remove the back cover with power off and just look to see if there is a spot of glue that looks like it should be holding a focusing magnet which may of fallen off due to rough handling of the set. It would be behind the area which dips on the display.

One last caution if you chose to do this do not use a magnetic screw driver.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well - i braved the service menu and now is the lower right hand corner that is not horizontal. also the right corners are not focus. i am going to give it a couple of hours to rest my eyes. btw, i bought the set at sears and yesterday a service rep came by - long story short, they should stick to fixing dishwashers and ovens. mjc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
my tv has a slight bend on the upper right side of the black bar. after dealing with the smansung txn 3298 geometry problems, this thing looks like a perfect rectangle to me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.