AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a receiver for my father who is about to move into his new home. He has a Pioneer 6020 and a 5.1 speaker system already installed in the walls. What should I look for around the $500 range (+/-). Would he be happy with this, or do I need to find a more expensive one?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach430 /forum/post/15511960

I'm looking to buy a receiver for my father who is about to move into his new home. He has a Pioneer 6020 and a 5.1 speaker system already installed in the walls. What should I look for around the $500 range (+/-). Would he be happy with this, or do I need to find a more expensive one?

Thanks in advance

Your request is such an open ended question, it will be ignored by most.

Post the specs on the Pioneer,

How old is it, was this bottom , middle or upper end in the Pioneer line at that time. Do the homework.

If your father wants to stick with a Pioneer, there are models that will do the trick for you. In that price range, the 91TXH, 01TXH, 1018TXH come to mind, you can get deals that fall in that range.

If your dad is not picky, either of these are fine units. Depends on what his priorities are. If they are simple, these units are fine....

If you want to go to other brands, there are perfectly fine comparable units.

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Pio 6020 is his shiny new 60" 1080p Kuro plama display

To the OP - definitely check out the $400 receiver thread. For in-wall speakers, an Audyssey enabled receiver is probably your best bet as in-walls can be tricky to calibrate properly. Check out the new Denon 1909/789, last year's Denon 988 or 888, and maybe an Onkyo 805 or 706.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the Marantz SR5400 that I bought a few years ago, and it's great. The newer one in that range is even better, however, it will all be within your preference of what features you want, and if you can do a comparision listening test in an audio shop. Pick what sounds best to your ears (or your father's ears).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any problems/undesirable aspects of using a 7.1 receiver for a 5.1 system? (other than higher cost)

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
no. it's hard to even find a 5.1 receiver these days. there is zero penalty to running a 5.1 setup with a 7.1 receiver.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach430 /forum/post/15519408

What about recommendations for a ~$800 receiver.

denon 2809

1 - 10 of 10 Posts