AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, heres some quick snaps of where the stuff is going

http://gallery.me.com/russellgunn#10...lack&view=grid

sony 52xbr6 is the TV there. definitely want to go 5.1 in the future, i think i am going to start with 2.1 or 3.1 though, due to funding and not wanting to deal with rear wiring. i also have to deal with el wifey. i want to get some good feel during movies and i do enjoy listening to music.

for a receiver i am looking at a yamaha 863

i want 2 floor standing speakers for the front, i was thinking:

polk TSI 400s

klipsch RF62s

klipsch WF 34s

subs, i am open on.

as full disclosure i work for best buy, so things that they sell have an appeal to them.

i also take donations to my Man Speaker Fund.

cheers!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
My $.02.

Generally I am not a fan of D'Appolito designs, modified or otherwise, unless the speaker has quite a bit of height to compensate for the lower tweeter placement. But looking at your room pics, the impression I get makes me think the Polks will be better suited to your needs. They feature a very nice silk dome tweeter. Although there is carpeting in your Great/Rec/Living room and plush furniture, you seem to have some hard surfaces in the visible portions with the extra ceiling height thrown in and the open background. The Klipsch horns may sound a bit harsh there. But if you like that sound by all means go for it.

With subs there is a good deal to pick from, even sourcing at BB.

2.1 works very well with a good phantom mode and great speaker imaging but 3.1 in your open space is still the way to go. You may like it so much the rears can wait a good while.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
very interesting. I will admit I am fairly new to the idea of big speakers. I had to google D'Appolito designs. I am still not really sure how it applies to my situation.

as far as the room goes, yes there are some hard surfaces. the downward sloping ceiling, the far wall, and the kitchen /dinning room behind it have hardwood floors.

so you think a center channel would help quite a bit? sounds good to me.

thanks

cheers

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Hi again,

Well there are two approaches with your layout.

Going 2.1 will most likely be best for you if the towers are larger and more capable than what is currently under consideration. Nothing wrong with any of the ones listed but both manufacturers make significantly better models which would be more suited to 2.1 use in your space IMO. Bigger, more capable speakers deliver larger sound when driven properly. 2.1 will also depend on the quality of the DSP employed when viewing multi-channel sources.

3.1 will certainly help anchor the dialog and aid in channel effects in that open space and let you stay closer to your present budget. You may also appreciate 3.1 more with music with that open layout.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverender /forum/post/15568897

as full disclosure i work for best buy, so things that they sell have an appeal to them.

If you work for best buy shouldn't it be easier for you to listen to the speakers and judge for yourself how they sound? You can buy a pair with your discount and try them at home too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
true. but i dont like the setup at my store (has the polk TSI300/400s and the klipsch VF35/36s. they dont show what receiver they are wired too and dont have the ability to choose an audio source.

the WF-35s are magnolia only.

the other factor is, the wife isnt really pushing for this. i would love to demo alot of them in my house, but the plan is more to just one day when she gets home have them all there....glued to the floor....not going anywhere.

cheers!

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Klipsch it seems is an acquired taste. People either love them or hate them. If I were to choose between them and Polk I'd go for the Polks.

A friend of mine years ago had a set of Klipch towers with the horn tweeters. After a few beers it wasn't quite so bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts