AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been lurking the boards for quite some time, learning a lot of things, and was hoping that someone could chime in with an opinion on my situation!.

Long story short, i recently came into possession of a $560 FS gift card and I would like to put it towards a new receiver, purchased from Future shop, if I can find an appropriate one. A couple notes: I'll be using this to drive two polk Rti10s as fronts, RTI4s as backs, Polk PSW10 sub (which i hope to upgrade in the next few months) and a CSIa4 as a center.

I will be using my system for movies and TV shows, as well as vinyl and lossless audio (probably around 70/30 split for usage between movies/music)

I've also just gotten into the world of exploring separate amplification (though I have yet to take the plunge on any equipment related to it) so I'd like a receiver with some brand of pre-outs. I've recently been looking at the amplifiers Emotiva produces and will probably be purchasing a separate amplifier through that company in the next couple months (fully expecting to get rammed on customs/duties/shipping). I was intially planning on buying the UMC-1 that Emotiva makes, but with the waiting list as long as it is and the issues buyers seem to having with that specific unit, I'm going to hold off on that.

I don't mind spending a bit of money on top of the card, probably around another 400 dollars, putting my budget around $950.

Here is a link to the first page of the line of receivers future shop offers

Note: Argggg, Can't post direct link to FS site because I am new, will try to edit soon

This is the receiver I was pretty interested in which is the Pioneer VSX-9040

Again, can't post the direct link to the site, will try to edit soon

I originally was drawn to that because reviews seemed solid, full set of 7.1 pre-outs, and analog HDMI upscaling to 1080p, but then I thought that I might never need 7.1 preouts and maybe 2 or 3 might be plenty.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated! (Long story short my foot!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would appear that the AVR-890 offers a pair of pre-outs at $900 though as opposed to the $1400 price of the avr-990? I guess I'm interested in opinions on the necessity (or lack thereof) of 7.1 preouts considering my listening habits and equipment, and if deemed a good idea or a good investment, perhaps even a suggestions of an appropriate receiver from FS (in my price range). In the event that perhaps people think 2 or 3 pre-outs is all I would need, maybe then a different receiver could be suggested (such as the AVR-890 mentioned at the beginning).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm extremely critical of my music, well, more so then anyone I know, but relative to some of the people on this board, I'd say I'm a bit of a pipsqueak! Though on the pre-out issue I'm a little confused, but only because Future Shop lists the AVR-890 as having 2 pre-outs under specifications, should I assume that is an error?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that, that certainly clears up a lot of my questions! Knowing this now, my options for receivers in my price range with a full set of preouts appears to be the Pioneer VSX-9040TXH (7.1 preouts) at 799 or the Yamaha HTR6260B (8 preouts ?) at 699. If this is the case, knowing my situation, equipment, and usage patterns, would it be more worthwhile to invest in one of these guys or to forget the whole idea of external amplification and just invest my 8 or 9 hundred in a receiver and forget about it? Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
951 Posts
Well, clicking on the link to the product spec page shows a rear image of the unit which clearly shows 7.1 pre-outs. Maybe the drawing is wrong but I can't imagine that the Canadian version of the 890 is different from the American.

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18159830

The image is correct, rather you are looking at the EXT IN jacks and not Pre-Out jacks. And although different from the foreign models, the US and CA models are the same.

You're right. My bad.

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/18159954

No worries. You'd be surprised how many times someone inserts their LFE cable into the sub EXT IN jack instead of the sub Pre-Out jack due to the confusion.

My issue was I was looking at a blown up photo from the spec sheet, which was pretty blurry, but I could clearly see the difference when I checked the manual (after you called me on it).

But I can see people making that mistake pretty easily.

·
Registered
29,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine /forum/post/18159759

See if you can find a Pioneer Elite for around a grand. They are fantastic AVR's.

The VSX-9040 is the same as the Elite 21 and comes with a 2 year warranty in Canada, just like the Elites.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Amazon in the US is having a sale on the Pioneer 9040 , till stocks last. See what the total price comes to, if you order it from there (along with shipping, customs, etc.)

However, since you have a FS gift card, it would make sense to purchase it from FS itself. Or, you could use the gift card when you upgrade your Sub and order the Pioneer from Amazon US, while the sale is on.

Just thought I'll bring the Amazon sale price on the 9040 to your notice.

All the best, whatever receiver you choose.

·
Banned
554 Posts
Order it to a UPS Store across your nearest border. You place the order with all of the UPS Store info with your name in "C/O" spot. I order stuff to the UPS in Buffalo near the Lewiston bridge all the time. For me a 45 minute drive saves me huge dollars.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacd /forum/post/18159350

I've recently been looking at the amplifiers Emotiva produces and will probably be purchasing a separate amplifier through that company in the next couple months (fully expecting to get rammed on customs/duties/shipping).

I've bought 3 Emotiva amps in the last few months and I'm in Canada. The shipping for each (air) is about $140 USD and the customs/duties works out to around $130 CAD. Hope this helps.

BTW I have the Yamaha RX-V3900 as a pre pro now, but I had the 663 and that would be in your price range as a receiver.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts