AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit it, I have a bias toward direct view. We're leaning toward the Sony 40XBR800. However, the thing is extremely heavy and deep for the picture size. I'm hoping some of the rear-projection folks can offer other choices to consider.

The problem we have is that we still have a lot of 4:3 content. Since we're DirecTV TiVo folks, all the normal programming comes that way (4:3) and will for 1 to 2+ yrs. I think HD TiVo will take a bit of time to roll out in spite of the hype. I been a DirecTV and TiVo subscriber for a while.

To further complicate things we will use the display for karaoke at home too (two or more nights per week). Don't laugh or we'll upload some mp3s :eek: !

We have a bunch of DVDs and love to watch a movie or two a week. We're behind on DVDs since the wrong TV died we're down to a flaky 25in RCA older than the kids (and one's about to start driving).

So, we're really worried about burn-in due to karaoke and the 4:3 content. Viewing angle is an issue to since it's already tough enough to "Get the Party Started". It will be worse if folks can't see the words or the movie. I'd like to think that it would be possible to move the display once in a while to run wires, access the wall or replace carpet (without risk of fatal injury).

We've eliminated flat-panel due to cost . Front projection seems out due to bulb life / cost. The TV display will be on a lot at our house (most of the time someone is at home).

The Hitachi 57UWX20B & 57SWX20B seem to have pretty nice pictures but ...

We could really use some wisdom from folks here.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
You claim to be a direct view fan and you have karaoke two OR MORE nights a week, and you expect us to help rather than run away in horror? Oh well, what the heck:

1) RPTV doesn't mean 16:9. If you are dead set on a 4:3 TV, they make 4:3 RPTV's that you might like better than a big direct view.

2) That said, don't write off 16:9. It is the future (probably) and movies do look much better on them. So long as you are watching some DVD's in 16:9, and you use stretch modes to watch some TV in 16:9, and you TV is calibrated correctly, burn doesn't have to be that big a worry. As for Karaoke, the words themselves shouldn't be a burn in risk, again as long as your TV is calibrated correctly.

3) Viewing angles on RPTV's are better than they used to be. I can't say if it'll meet your needs, but go to a store and check them out before writing them off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My first suggestion would be to go and look at some sets. It seems from your description that you watch lots of standard definition programming.

I would recomend looking at sets with LCD or DLP technology. Since they don't suffer from burn-in and some have decent viewing angles.

But here's the catch, some of these sets may not reproduce standard definition signals to your standards. That's why I say to go an take a look at them. Ask to have a standard signal put on, and then begin comparing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our primary viewing distance is going to be 10 feet. It doesn't seem like it makes any sense having a 4:3 SD image larger than 40". So all that thinking is leading us to conclude that any RPTV set we consider ought to be wide-screen. We have wireless karaoke microphones and remotes but I don't think the neighbors want us performing in their living room! Plus, wide-screen is a better future technology story.

The Sony 40XBR800 is sort of a unique beast in direct view. I would have to say the 4:3 screen format wins for us because it's 16:9 image is about the same size as it's 16:9 screen direct view peers. Further discussions about that emotional war belong in the direct view area!!!

We've gone to look at displays a couple of times. Both times all they were running was the same SD signal to everything in the store except a couple of flat panel displays. I'm not sure how they sell anything that way. The sales people were not busy. So, the challenge may be to actually see HD on some of these sets.

We'll take our TiVo and an S-video cable in with us next time. We'll have to borrow a DVD player from them (I'm not pulling mine out of the rack). Both should be an improvement.

Do folks see this in any other stores??? BTW, this was CC.

It seems like 57" RPTV may be a possibility for us. My wife has more of an issue with RPTV image effects / artifacts. In particular with fast motion programming on RPTV. Hockey is the best example of this for us. I'm going to try get her to describe what she sees a bit better since it's so bad she can't stand to watch a couple of the the RPTV sets at all.

Feel free to suggest any specific sets folks think make sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.