AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm ready to get rid of my Denon AVR-788 and upgrade.

Like the title suggests, I have $700 that i want to spend on it.

I want network connectivity (Pandora, DLNA, etc.), more than the 85w per channel that I have, preouts to add an amp later, and more HDMI inputs.

The gear I'll be using with the new receiver:

Polk Monitor 70 x2 front LR

Polk CS1 (will upgrade to CS2 asap) center

Polk Monitor 40 x2 rear LR

Energy ESW-V10 x1 sub

Any ideas at that price point, and i truly mean at that price. I don't want to stray too far.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Best choices are Onkyo...

the Denon's in your price range are the 1912/2112.

With Onkyo you have your choice of the NR509/609/709 and there are already refurbs of the NR809 under $700.

Mentioning those cause you probably want the same type of speaker set-up you are used to. Yamaha/Pioneer/Elite will all have blanket crossovers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input... i guess i need a bit of explanation on blanket crossovers.

I was looking at the Yamaha RX-A1000, as it has all of the features i require and until 8-3 will come in under $650 shipped.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The A1000 might have multi-crossovers...

Anyway...

Blanket means you choose 1 crossover and all 5(or 7) speakers are set at that crossover.

Multi means just that, the center gets one, the front gets their own...surrounds get their own.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
Best choices are Onkyo...

the Denon's in your price range are the 1912/2112.

With Onkyo you have your choice of the NR509/609/709 and there are already refurbs of the NR809 under $700.

Mentioning those cause you probably want the same type of speaker set-up you are used to. Yamaha/Pioneer/Elite will all have blanket crossovers.
I think not mentioning that EE sells the 2112 for hundreds less less than $700 with a simple phone call is distorting what is available out there. I would be surprised if one were not able to buy the AVR3312ci for around that kind of money with a phone call to EE.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I throw ideas out there, not prices. Even the 809 is "more" than the 3312.

If he can find the 3312 for $700, more power to all the people able to land that kind of deal. The 2112 at EE is a person "interested in buying it" job, not mine.

Heck if the 3312 "can" be found for $700, there is also the 2312.

I've already found 2312 on Ebay used.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies guys!

first off, what is this magical EE that you speak of, where phone calls reduce prices?

also, will lack of multi-crossovers really be a deal breaker....I want decent sound, but since i didn't even know what that was, should i be that worried.

would a Yamaha pushing "105w" x 7 work for my speakers?

there's been a lot of denon talk here, but no mention of pioneer 1121.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
People tend to have a personal preference for one brand over another - sometimes for a good reason and sometimes not.

I have all of my speakers crossed at 80Hz so a single crossover is not an issue for me (or most people); some people like to make their mains play lower because they can, others prefer to have them only go to 80 anyways.

If you want discussion of "why Pio over Denon vs Onkyo vs Yamaha" find one of the many threads doing that in your price range.

I suggest get something from last year as it will be just as good as this years and at a huge discount. One item I would also suggest you look for is the best Audyssey; XT32 if you can or XT if not.

Unless you have a personal brand preference (in which case it is OK to get that brand) get the Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Onkyo or Pioneer that you find on the best sale.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhat /forum/post/20764844

thanks for the replies guys!

first off, what is this magical EE that you speak of, where phone calls reduce prices?

also, will lack of multi-crossovers really be a deal breaker....I want decent sound, but since i didn't even know what that was, should i be that worried.

would a Yamaha pushing "105w" x 7 work for my speakers?

there's been a lot of denon talk here, but no mention of pioneer 1121.

EE = Electronics Expo (authorized Denon reseller = warranty is honored by Denon)

Lack of multi crossovers should not be a deal breaker with your current speakers as they all have frequency ranges below 80hz, and therefore can ALL be raised to 80hz to let the sub handle the frequencies below 80hz.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The biggest difference is in the capabilities of your speakers given your surroundings.

My biggest three options that I steer my customers toward(I don't sell anything, I am a room designer...but my designs are centered around a set of speakers with the correct receiver pre-pro/amp behind them) are...

Onkyo/Integra

Denon/Marantz

Yamaha.

I stopped recommending Pioneer/Elite 2 years ago when it became plainly obvious that Pioneer wants to "kill" the Pioneer brand itself and only have Elite(Like this year, Elite starts at $450...WTH???)

HK, the only receivers I recommend from them are the 2600/3600/7550.

Anthem are great, but their price tags put them out of the range of 99% of the shoppers.

Sony? I haven't mentioned them(other than when I had to) for 15 years.

I build HT based on the speakers people want to use. Then if the speakers warrant "exclusion" of Yamaha, so be it. One of the best HT's I've done in a while had a RX-A3000 running 9 Thiel SCS4. Talk about a glorious sonic assault. We took the front channel off the RX-A2000 and used a Crown the dealer had. The receiver itself powers height/center/surround.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been researching receivers around the same price range and have pretty much settled on the Pioneer VSX-1121/52 twins. Initially I was leaning toward Onkyo, but after reading about all the heat and reliability issues here in AVS, I ruled Onkyo out. I considered Denon, but ruled out for the same reason that I ruled out the Yammy A1000 - the video scaler in the Denon and Yammies in this price range don't match up with the scaler in the Pioneers. If I didn't watch as much SD or interlaced content and didn't care that much about the scaler, I would almost certainly be going with the A1000 (the Newegg price is fantastic), but since I do and can't afford the A2000, that leaves the Pioneers. The 1121 through Amazon will be just barely above your price limit, although that Amazon price is including shipping and with no tax. The 52 will be about $100 more and objectively isn't worth it, but the piece of mind of an extra year of warranty is worth it to me even though I wouldn't be buying it if I thought it was actually going to need service in the first 2 years. One other option - there are screaming deals on the VSX-32/33 right now - well under your price limit - so if you don't need or care about having the latest and greatest features (some of which are of dubious value), that could be an option for you, although if you buy online you'll forego the warranty on the Elite models.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwak /forum/post/20766779

I've been researching receivers around the same price range and have pretty much settled on the Pioneer VSX-1121/52 twins. Initially I was leaning toward Onkyo, but after reading about all the heat and reliability issues here in AVS, I ruled Onkyo out. I considered Denon, but ruled out for the same reason that I ruled out the Yammy A1000 - the video scaler in the Denon and Yammies in this price range don't match up with the scaler in the Pioneers. If I didn't watch as much SD or interlaced content and didn't care that much about the scaler, I would almost certainly be going with the A1000 (the Newegg price is fantastic), but since I do and can't afford the A2000, that leaves the Pioneers. The 1121 through Amazon will be just barely above your price limit, although that Amazon price is including shipping and with no tax. The 52 will be about $100 more and objectively isn't worth it, but the piece of mind of an extra year of warranty is worth it to me even though I wouldn't be buying it if I thought it was actually going to need service in the first 2 years. One other option - there are screaming deals on the VSX-32/33 right now - well under your price limit - so if you don't need or care about having the latest and greatest features (some of which are of dubious value), that could be an option for you, although if you buy online you'll forego the warranty on the Elite models.

Hello,

I would highly recommend looking past the Failure Thread and look at the individual AVR's Owners Threads. For instance, the vast majority of TX-NR3008/5008 Owners have not experienced the issue that is behind the Failure Thread.

While the Pionner does have a very nice Video Processor., the Amplifier Stage is not that strong. The VSX-1020 only output 28.7 Watts when tested into 5 and 7 Channels. The 1121 does not vary to greatly from the 1020.

The Elite SC-37 is another story and is a beast. Note, you can find B-Stock SC-07's for exactly the stated budget of this Thread and it retails for 2000 Dollars. It too uses ICE Power Modules and is THX Ultra2 Plus. The 37 is also available Refurbished for a few hundred dollars more and is simply an awesome AVR. Sadly, Pioneer is no longer using the B&O ICE Modules in AVR's going forward.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
guys, thanks for all the input. I pulled the trigger on the Elite VSX-52. $699 shipped from an authorized dealer. For what i need, it should do just fine.

thanks again for all the info.

(and for the record, i don't give "failure threads" much time. afterall, this is the internet and everyone tends to be full of ****e in one way or another anyway.
)

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhat /forum/post/0

guys, thanks for all the input. I pulled the trigger on the Elite VSX-52. $699 shipped from an authorized dealer. For what i need, it should do just fine.

thanks again for all the info.

(and for the record, i don't give "failure threads" much time. afterall, this is the internet and everyone tends to be full of ****e in one way or another anyway.
)

Where on earth did you find it at that price? Would you mind pm-ing me?

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/0

You need to read the fine print on your internet sale of that Elite.

Elite does NOT allow internet sales...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ternet+Dealers

So, hope you are comfortable with a zero warranty Elite.

I don't know where or how the OP purchased his, but as I understand it there is a difference between how phone orders and internet orders are treated for warranty purposes. A phone order from an authorized Elite dealer would be honored whereas an internet order would not. I'm not sure however if phone orders are actually ok or if it's just a function of Pioneer not having any way to know if an order was placed over the phone or in person.

For me personally, since the primary reason why I prefer the VSX-52 over the VSX-1121 is the extra year of warranty, buying the 52 online would defeat the entire purpose and would actually be a step down from the 1121. If I could get the 52 over the phone for a better price while still getting the warranty however. . .

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I am(probably correct...) under the assumption that "shipped from an authorized dealer" meant internet.

Lots of Amazon sellers say they are authorized to sell Elite, and will sell the Elite via Amazon leaving the customer on the hook for not knowing Elite's policy.

FWIW Integra can't be purchased "shipped" no matter what. You have to live with-in the zip-code area of the seller. Integra does not tolerate "rule bending" sales. Elite also used to be that way.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20768233

You need to read the fine print on your internet sale of that Elite.

Elite does NOT allow internet sales...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ternet+Dealers

So, hope you are comfortable with a zero warranty Elite.

A work around of sorts for this problem is to use an AmEx card for your purchase.....that way you're at least covered for 1 year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.