AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to decide on a HDTV for awhile now. I thought I had one picked out but started reading some bad things about it.


Now I don't know what to do.


What TV would you get if you had $4,000 to spend on it?


Would you wait for 1020p? (I want to have it before football starts)


What technology? DLP, LCD, LCOS, Plasma?


I want 50"-56" that will work well with all consoles.....xbox, 360, GC, PS2, PS3


thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
This is just my opinion, so take it as an opinion only, not fact.


If I had a $4000 budget to work with, I would be getting a DLP HDTV set. I like DLP because most of the rainbow and other issues that the first generation had have been worked out. They are still not perfect, but definitely good enough for me. They are very bright, very crisp pictures, and they have NO SCREEN BURN IN. That would be very important to me especially if you planned on using the TV for a lot of gaming. LCD TV's have size limitations at this point and are very very expensive. Plasma has gotten a lot better all around, Picture Quality, Black Levels, and even screen burn-in. Still, Plasma HD sets are more expensive than DLP sets are and still have sreen burn-in capability. I would rather go with DLP and get a much larger TV.


I think you meant to say 1080p. I myself would not wait for 1080p as programming for 1080p may never come, and if it does, it certainly will not be for awhile. If you did get a 1080p set, you would be paying a large premium to have all 1080i material upconverted to 1080p, not much of a noticeable difference in my opinion and certainly not worth paying a large premium for.


A DLP set will be 720p which will be great for gaming and is great for High Definition television programs as well. I myself have a 1080i set, but would prefer the stability of a progressive scan field as opposed to an interlaced one. This will help with fast moving video games and fast moving object/programs on TV such as sporting events.


To sum it up, I think the best bang for your buck would be to go with a DLP based HDTV. I'll let you figure out what brand to buy and what size to go with.


Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brig2221
This is just my opinion, so take it as an opinion only, not fact.


If I had a $4000 budget to work with, I would be getting a DLP HDTV set. I like DLP because most of the rainbow and other issues that the first generation had have been worked out. They are still not perfect, but definitely good enough for me. They are very bright, very crisp pictures, and they have NO SCREEN BURN IN. That would be very important to me especially if you planned on using the TV for a lot of gaming. LCD TV's have size limitations at this point and are very very expensive. Plasma has gotten a lot better all around, Picture Quality, Black Levels, and even screen burn-in. Still, Plasma HD sets are more expensive than DLP sets are and still have sreen burn-in capability. I would rather go with DLP and get a much larger TV.


I think you meant to say 1080p. I myself would not wait for 1080p as programming for 1080p may never come, and if it does, it certainly will not be for awhile. If you did get a 1080p set, you would be paying a large premium to have all 1080i material upconverted to 1080p, not much of a noticeable difference in my opinion and certainly not worth paying a large premium for.


A DLP set will be 720p which will be great for gaming and is great for High Definition television programs as well. I myself have a 1080i set, but would prefer the stability of a progressive scan field as opposed to an interlaced one. This will help with fast moving video games and fast moving object/programs on TV such as sporting events.


To sum it up, I think the best bang for your buck would be to go with a DLP based HDTV. I'll let you figure out what brand to buy and what size to go with.


Good luck!
I think DLP is the technology I want but then I read about people buying LCD or LCOS for gaming.


I was considering the Toshiba 52HMX94 but it's a year old already and I couldn't find the spec for contrast ratio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villanman
I also have a 60" Sony LCD RP for and love it. Had it for 20 months now and no problems.


EDIT:Mine is a KDF60XBR950
Well 60" is a little too big plus it's a little more than I want to spend.


How are the deep blacks in dark games on that TV?


I guess that's my fear with LCDs....are the blacks black or kinda grey colored
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
I have:


1. DLP front projector

2. LCD flat panel

3. DLP RPTV

4. Plasma


Which device has a better picture in every way--color, black level, contrast, detail? The plasma--and all I have is a ED panel!


If I had that kind of cash burning a hole in my pocket, the only thing I would consider is a plasma. You can get a fairly nice 50" one at Costco for $3K.


Burn in worries are WILDLY overstated.


That being said, the new 1080p Samsungs are gorgeous, you can't go wrong with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
942 Posts
When I purchased my TV i had about half the money you have allocated for it, but I would definitley stear towards something that looks the best at all viewing angles.


My friend purchased a dlp projection that is pretty big, don't remember the size, but the viewing angles were horrible. The picture would look dark and hazzy if I sat anywhere but in front of it.


So my suggestion would be to do a lot of research and testing before you actually purchase one. By the way, I got a Sony 36'HD CRT, which in my opinion, is as close to plasma as I have seen.


Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer4life
Well 60" is a little too big plus it's a little more than I want to spend.


How are the deep blacks in dark games on that TV?


I guess that's my fear with LCDs....are the blacks black or kinda grey colored
You don't have to get a 60"

the 42" and 50" also look great.


I have no problems with the blacks and my TV is 2 generations ago.


Have you even looked at the new Sony LCDRP's?

The Blacks are improved plus it's 720p native and cheaper than previous models.


Either way for gaming I'd go LCD RP or DLP RP and let your own eyes be the judge. I went Sony LCDRP because the SD content looked better at the time.

SD PQ is usually what seperates HD TV's.

I'd love a plasma and even though if careful you can avoid burn in, but that still doesn't mean the risk is not there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have suggestions for LCD, DLP, AND plasma.


I thought this thread would help me narrow my choice down but it's done the complete opposite!!


ARRRRRRGHHHHHHH!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5977
I have:


1. DLP front projector

2. LCD flat panel

3. DLP RPTV

4. Plasma


Which device has a better picture in every way--color, black level, contrast, detail? The plasma--and all I have is a ED panel!


If I had that kind of cash burning a hole in my pocket, the only thing I would consider is a plasma. You can get a fairly nice 50" one at Costco for $3K.


Burn in worries are WILDLY overstated.


That being said, the new 1080p Samsungs are gorgeous, you can't go wrong with them.
I'm mainly concerned with gaming.


Are you saying that games also look the best on the plasma?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
I do a lot of gaming. IMHO, everything looks better on a plasma. Some people have reported "smearing" of fast video on LCD and "delay" with DLP. I have never experienced these problems, but I don't think they are a problem with plasma. Let your eyes be the judge. Take an Xbox to Best Buy and try out some different TVs. I will say that I consider LCD RPTV unwatchable because of screen door and poor blacks, but some people love them.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top