AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
! This is ONLY for people that have owned/own or at least heard the Sirocco Pros ever. If you do not qualify, please don't respond.

Hello, I am thinking of buying the Videologic Sirocco Pro for my computer. I have a very small room, and the speakers would be very near field. Anyway, I would like a digital music system to compliment my Midiland 8200 digital 5.1 multimedia speakers, which I use for gaming and dvd. I have an NForce motherboard, and would be using one digital out for each set of speakers. I am in Canada, and I would like someone who has heard the sirocco pro's to compare them to an equally priced (for Canadians) component system. As I am sure the digital audio converter in my Nvidia NForce motherboard isn't that great, I would like to get roughly the same sort of components as are in the Sirocco Pro for this system. This means I am in the market for a digital audio converter, an integrated amp, a set of bookshelf speakers, and anything else you might want to add, is $1500 canadian. This price is for after shipping and taxes. Can anyone who knows a lot about the sirocco pro, or anyone else for that matter, help me? Thank you! I would ESPECIALLY like to hear from people who have heard the Videologic Sirocco Pro's!

A friend of mine suggested completely scrapping my current system and simply buying a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and the Videologic Sirocco Crossfires and the Sennheiser HD590 headphones, as my room is very small and my front speakers are 1.5 meters apart, and he says I wouldn't need a center channel, and the 590's and the Crossfires would be great for music. However, this system doesn't feel right, and I really like my Midiland speakers and would like to keep them, and I don't wish to buy a sound card, as my NForce motherboard seems fine. What do you suggest I do? Thank yoU!

Here are some webpages for the Sirocco Pro:

http://www.videologic.com/Products/V...oduct=VL-60402
http://www.videologic.com/Products/V...oduct=VL-60402

Here are some reviews:

http://www.reviewmakers.com/showdoc.php?review=19
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/s...pro/index.html
http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/...iroccoPro.html

BTW this is not for me, but I typed this for another person who is almost sure he is going to buy the Sirocco Pro's in a few hours.. So go ahead and give me what you got!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yea, if anyone wants to suggest a component system, they have to be magnetically shielded... and having a 6.5" woofer would be good too, or a component system more exactly like the pro's, with an 8" self-powered bass unit and speakers with 5.25" midwoofers and tweeters. Whichever works best would be great, thanks...

And, um, my friend here needs a LITTLE bit of convincing that he can get better 'no frills, give me only what I need' sound quality with a component system than with the highly rated pro's. I would think that would be NForce->External Digital Audio Converter->Integrated amp->Bookshelf speakers..

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello???

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Well by prefacing your post with... Unless you have listened to this exact setup dont post.. Kinda limits your responses...

All I can say is I have not heard the system mentioned above and I am not sure what size / listening environment / setup your frined is contemplating so...

However if I had to make any reccomedations I would say be very careful of cheap bundled component packages... Some of my friends have bought these kind of packaged sets of plastic boxes that make rythmic noise and they are woeful, I have not the heart to tell them what I truly think...

As a blind reccomendation I would have to say that my experiences recently of dealing with nOrh (a small unusual audiophile speaker maker from Thailand) have been very very satisfying and they seem to achieve a very good price / performace ratio... I know that they have a video system package based around thier 4.0 drums with a shielded centre that costs about 850 USD delivered... Then adding a cheapish reciever and possibly a sub would blow the budget by a small margin but would also give a 'real' system of musical quality small speakers and a upgrade path into better equipment... Scoot on over to Harmonic Discord and have a look in thier forum or check out reviews of these speakers on TNT audio or Audio Review... These are small speakers made by people who are passionate about good performance...

Also of note if Aesthetics are important have a peek into nOrh's June news section and check out thier 3.0 bookshelfs in marble.. Very slick for speakers where interior design may come into play too...

Hard to reccomend stuff without knowing thier use / size of room / etc...

Check out the audio forums for better advice on speakers than the HTPC one perhaps ???

Good Luck

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
OK just spotted a possible cheap small speaker deal... This will strongly depend on aesthetics and the possible lack of shielding my be at issue but these sound like interesting little units (maybee I just inherantly prefer speakers that dont have a box shape... Nautilus's it will one day be !!)...

MiniPods for 349 per pair on Ebay... these were designed by a B&W spin off using nice quality parts... Review here and main company here ...

Would need to haggle around with the seller to obtain a 5 channels but sounds possible within your budget... unusual cheapish speakers...

Are you looking for stereo + sub (as the sirocco pro appears to be) or a 5.1 system ??

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you read those reviews? The Sirocco pro isn't a cheap system... it's a 2.1 studio monitor/ multimedia system costing $900, and it has long held the title of 'best sounding multimedia system ever'. As near as I can tell, it's a digital system made for small studios who are short on space, but need an inexpensive studio monitor with bass extension. With this system, containing tweeters, 5.25" drivers, and 8" sub specifically tweaked to blend well (it even uses the same type of enclosure and driver and everything), you can get a very flat frequency response in a 2.1, integrated, digital system that works well for small rooms in the near field. Did I mention it uses Audax drivers?

Norh's, being long and rear ported, would be bad for the extremely small amount of space my friend has to work with.

Also, *I* didn't put that preface there, my friend did. For some reason, he only wants to listen to those who have heard the Sirocco Pro's.

So, the sirocco pro is great.....

...but can you get better for that budget with the same requirements? He will need a DAC and an integrated amp....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.