AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I got my Samsung FPT-5084 4 months ago and love it. I have a Wii and was playing it will the regular video cables. So i decided to step up and buy the component cables and run the Wii in 480p.. Well... In all honesty the picture looks like absolute crap, everything has jaggy edges and looks like regular NES graphics. Any idea what the hell is going on? I have the Wii set to 480p as well as 16:9. Not impressed.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Some hdtvs (especially higher end) do not handle lower resolutions well. Some people on here have actually reported that they like using the composite cables better. Try messing with some of the settings on your tv for component.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, cause the ps3 just looks sick on it. and to be honest the composite looked fine with crisp smooth edges. I thought hey, it can only get better, but no, way worse, the bowling pins in wii sports were so jaggedy it was unbeleivable. Any ideas of what to try? cause u cant adjust the resolution on the TV. It accepts the signal from the unit and automatically switches to whatever signal it reads.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no i mean its so bad it can not be right, its literally as bad as the first nintendo game ever.

HUGE jaggies. Even teh gutters in the bowling are so bad its hard to look at.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Dont know what to tell ya but the Wii is low res. Even a scaler wont help because the source produced the jaggies, not your display.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you prefer composite, use composite. I don't like the softer "smeared" look, or the muted colors, but some people do prefer it.

I prefer component because edge aliasing doesn't bother me much at all, but blurriness, poor color, and especially deinterlace lag time do.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill try some stuff out tonight and report back, but if it doesnt work, ill just return the cables. I did not get any washed out or blurred images with the original cables anyway.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigabit256 /forum/post/12888543

If you prefer composite, use composite. I don't like the softer "smeared" look, or the muted colors, but some people do prefer it.

I prefer component because edge aliasing doesn't bother me much at all, but blurriness, poor color, and especially deinterlace lag time do.

This is the same reason I always go with 480p component over composite whenever possible. Jaggies are the least of my worries when it comes to a good 480p presentation. Add dot crawl to the mix of things I dislike about composite as well. It makes reading small text annoying.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbman /forum/post/12889069

The component cable fixed the lag on my 720p hdtv.

Not surprising, it significantly cut the lag down on mine as well. Component allows for output of 480p which cuts out the time consuming and PQ killing de-interlacing process.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i have a samsung 4254.....I switched my settings to the game mode...and played with them from there. Make sure to turn your sharpness down to 0....otherwise it enhances the edges way too much. Not sure if it'll help on your tv at all, but the wii looks as good/better than it did on my old tv.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts