AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an HD DVD player owner, I plan to buy a BD player eventually since you guys seem to have "won" the format war.

However, one of the raps against BD is that it is not a finished spec.

When are the BD 2.0 players supposed to be on the market?

I'm not a gamer, so I have NO interest in buying a PS3.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I believe all players mfg'd since October are required to conform to the 1.1 spec; are the additional 2.0 features important to you (or important enough for you to wait for)?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I am not a gamer either, never loaded a game. But, the PS3 is the most future proof player out there. It will be updated shortly to support the 2.0 profile. It really is the best bargain out there for BD playback as evidenced by the millions of hits on the PS3 threads. Unfortunately, there is no perfect player. If that is what you seek, you may want to wait for the next gen players later this year.

Some don't like the lack of IR remote, but I like the BlueTooth remote better.

Some complain of fan noise, I have never heard mine during a movie.

The load/boot times are fantastic.

Upgradablability is a great plus.

It is your money and you have to be happy with what you buy. The Panasonic BD-30 is nice player as well, but not 2.0 ready.

I think the 2.0 players will begin to roll out next quarter ala BD-50, but at $399 the PS3 is still the one to beat for value/features.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCoug /forum/post/12911181

As an HD DVD player owner, I plan to buy a BD player eventually since you guys seem to have "won" the format war.

Thanks!

My sig has a list of players, their audio capabilities and profiles. Likely the DMP-BD50 will be released Q2 (nothing more exact at this point).

It will likely be the player that others are compared against:

Full decoding of all audio formats.

Full Bitstream of all audio formats.

BD 2.0 - BD Live

7.1 analog out

·
Registered
6,879 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!

Panasonic BD50, May-June 2008.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in no rush to dive into BD, there are only a few movies that I'd like to have in BD. So I'll wait until late Summer to see how things shake out.

I only have a handful of HD DVD titles, I purchased my Toshiba XA2 primarily to upscale my 500+ SD DVD titles which it does VERY well.

In fact, my SD copy of Ratatouille looks awesome! I don't see a need to upgrade to BD for that one.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!

Easy enough, just don't buy any games and purchase the add-on remote.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektricide /forum/post/12912608

Easy enough, just don't buy any games and purchase the add-on remote.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing when i bought my 80gig ps3 last week... But I made the mistake of trying Stardust HD and now I can't leave the damn game alone... aaarrrrggghhhh I'm hooked,. Just shoot me.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Only the PS3 works properly.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I am not sure I would take that far.

But, there are too many plusses in favor of the PS3 to at least not be considered. I was against it too until I did the research and tried it for myself. But, it obviously is not for everyone.

It is amazing how few problems there really are with the hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of PS3s in use worldwide when compared to only a few thousand of the other players.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/12911423

I am not a gamer either, never loaded a game. But, the PS3 is the most future proof player out there. It will be updated shortly to support the 2.0 profile. It really is the best bargain out there for BD playback as evidenced by the millions of hits on the PS3 threads. Unfortunately, there is no perfect player. If that is what you seek, you may want to wait for the next gen players later this year.

Some don't like the lack of IR remote, but I like the BlueTooth remote better.

Some complain of fan noise, I have never heard mine during a movie.

The load/boot times are fantastic.

Upgradablability is a great plus.

It is your money and you have to be happy with what you buy. The Panasonic BD-30 is nice player as well, but not 2.0 ready.

I think the 2.0 players will begin to roll out next quarter ala BD-50, but at $399 the PS3 is still the one to beat for value/features.

All of the above. I'll throw in that just when you dont think your a gamer.... you somehow start playing a cool game and enjoy it. Mine gets some gaming time now and I think it enjoys the diversity of software it gets.

But, if you're really against the PS3, waiting a bit is prolly the right call, IMO.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrebnh /forum/post/12912862

Only the PS3 works properly.

I updated my PS3 to the current firmware and not it will not play CDs (at least through HDMI) now. It did so before, so it doesnt' work properly 100%.
They better fix it though. It's trivial, and I don't play CDs on it, but since it's there, it should work.

My biggest gripe with the PS3 though is lack of IR control. I don't regret purchasing it, and have no plans to buy a standalone BD player for a while.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 /forum/post/12913238

My biggest gripe with the PS3 though is lack of IR control. I don't regret purchasing it, and have no plans to buy a standalone BD player for a while.

There are cheap solutions for the IR thing. I prefer the BlueTooth remote as it works from everywhere in my house. I can stream music and control my PS3 from everywhere.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I am mad!Years ago I backed sony beta and lost big time.

I went with hd-dvd this time tinking microsoft would have it in thier xbox 360.

The failure of hd-dvd is microsoft failure to back hd-dvd in the xbox 360 (no add on crap)

I am now geting a blue ray and stop loseing money to hd-dvd

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 /forum/post/12913238

I updated my PS3 to the current firmware and not it will not play CDs (at least through HDMI) now. It did so before, so it doesnt' work properly 100%.
They better fix it though. It's trivial, and I don't play CDs on it, but since it's there, it should work.

I bought an IR Remote for my PS3 (purchased it for BD only, and it works great) for $15 called the BluWave by Nyco. It lacks the number keys, but works very. I bought it because of my Philips TSU3500 Universal remote, and it programed just fine. It is not on their web site, but got it at gamestop.

Here is a link to the product..... http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=113

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
tshrimp,

OTopic,

do you think the bluWave will learn into my home theater master MX-500 remote? It's about 4 years old.

ON TOPIC

The PS3 is the way to go if you have a hard time with slow and arduous setup menus...IT's LIGHTNING FAST and easy to use, once you know where the "back" button is. Upgradability via easy internet updates is nice insurance too....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts