AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a hopefully clearer edit of this post.

I am trying to get Powerstrip custom resolutions to run like 1280x1024 and 1024x768 for gaming purposes. I have an ATI AIW 9800 pro hooked up by the dongle to my TV. I have read many posts throughly including Nintari's post and Karnis's guide.

My problem is this. Lets say I input the timings for 1280x1024 into powerstrip and add the resolution. Without the TV hooked up, it resets it and displays this new resolution perfectly, with interlacing and all. The advanced timing settings inclduing scan rate and such are perfect with 1125 total vertical lines.

As soon as I hook up the TV and turn on the TV display in the Radeon display tab, Powerstrip changes the resolution. It reduces the active vertical lines to 720 but keeps the horizontal lines fine. Even if I keep the vertical line TOTAL at 1125 so the TV gets a 1080i signal, powerstrip only gives the tv 720 ACTIVE lines. As such I lose about 30% of the picture on the bottom. Similar things happen with 1024x768 so that if the Vertical total is 1125, the active line total is only 720 so the picture overscans.

I seriously need some help... I have no idea why the active line total is being fixed... this ISNT just in the desktop this is in games as well. Its not setting the resolution to 720x480 or something like that, it is only changing the vertical ACTIVE line count.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your first name isn't Tibor is it?

Just wondering. Had a buddy named that in the service...sorry lol...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Basically I am saying when I input the custom resolution timings on this board in for resolutions like 1280x1024, powerstrip puts it in just fine and it works on my pc moniter, but as soon as I output it through the dongle then active vertical line count gets changed, and in the case of 1280x1024 down to 720, which I can't seem to stop. Thus I get this odd underscan issue. Even when I add to the vertical line total and get the tv to detect a 1080i signal, powerstrip stll only puts out 720 active lines.

This is not being resised to 720x480!

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
resolutions that are not adapter approved get sized to 720x480 with virtual desktop. Nintaris guide details how to work around this (for games only, desktop is still affected) in his adapter gaming guide, it requires a modification to the pstrip.ini file.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for replying Karnis.

Yeah I read nintari's guide and added the IgnoreVD=1 to the global options. I am not saying its getting resiszed to 720x480. I am saying for instance that 1280x1024 is getting resiszed to 1280x720 active line wise, even if the TV is getting a 1080i picture.

And this isn't just in the desktop its in games as well. So since the game is thinking the resolution is 1280x1024 it outputs 1024 lines of vertical resolution. However powerstrip resiszed the vertical lines to 720 so only the top 70% is getting displayed! Thats why in my other post I complained about underscan... its not an underscan issue really, but rather I am not getting the correct number of active lines!

Does that make more sense? What could be causing that?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahhh well... I just don't get why without the TV connected powerstrip sets the resolution up fine, but as soon as it outputs through the dongle it changes powerstrip's settings automatically... I mean I understand the virtual desktop stuff, but not this...

With a DVI cable would I be able to get around this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.