AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to this terrific web site, but an early DVD adopter (I go back to June 1997!) I am on my second player, a Toshiba 5109, that I use with a Mits 50805 (I know -- 4:3 -- but it has progressive scan and we watch a lot of regular-sized stuff on it). Before my kids get Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings on DVD, I thought it might be time to upgrade my DVD player. I know that this is old ground, but everyone's needs are different, so perhaps you wouldn't mind offering one more round of advice.

I am only interested in video quality and I don't mind saving money, but I am willing to pay $500-$1000 to get the best video quality I can, along with any good convenience features (e.g. zoom). I will likely upgrade the television in a couple of years, but this machine need only complement my present TV. I know that many of you are fans of the Panny RP-91, but some of its features seem especially suited to 16:9 sets. (I think I don't want the RP-56 on account of the optical output.) I can get the RP-91 for $475 from a local dealer. Is this still the way to go? Does the Denon 2800Mk-II appeal to anyone, or does the chroma bug (which I haven't looked for, let alone noticed) disqualify it. Or should I just be patient and wait for another round of products to hit the market.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.