AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few weeks of reading almost every post in this forum, about 50% of them in the screens forum, and as much as I can stomach from the HTPC forum, my head is absolutely spinning. Like most of you, I tend to research electronics equipment to death before spending money on it. Usually this involves changing my mind at least a dozen times before finally taking the plunge and buying something. My wife can only laugh at me.

So maybe just maybe I can appeal to you for all for some help. Given:

- a planned 75/25 DVD/HD viewing ratio

- a completely light controllable basement with a 15' distance from the planned projector location to the planned screen location and about 12' from couch to screen

- a desire to avoid rainbows (I've never seen them but that's probably because the only DLP I've seen in person is the Infocus 7200) or anything else that would lead my wife to be less than jubilant about our new toy

- and a projector budget of $2000-$3500

What should I buy???

The HS10 has a lot of appeal, except that I read the L300U seems to produce better picture quality, is smaller, and has less fan noise. Granted, it's lower resolution than the HS10 and isn't HDCP (?) compatible. The resolution doesn't concern me much, but buying something which may be incompatible with the emerging wave of DVD players or HD Tuners is.

Any advice? Should I just shelve the whole Home Theater Dream, delete my AVS Forum bookmark, and invest my money instead? :)

Thanks for your help!

-tony

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If the resolution of the L300U doesn't bother you, get it over the HS10 - it's a no-brainer IMO. Better quality, better picture - especially better blacks and shadow details. You should only get the HS10 over the L300 if you want the higher resolution and if the HDCP issue is important to you.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Xander. Sorry for the dumb questions, but:

- as someone just beginning to get into HD (I don't even have a tuner yet) *should* HDCP be important to me?

- if I'm not going to use the projector as a PC monitor, is the HS10's higher resolution going to get me anything? Or will it just be like the difference between 400 and 450 horsepower in a car that is never driven over 65MPH?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm the wrong guy to tell you about HDCP since I don't live in the US and therefore it won't effect me for a while yet (or so I believe anyway). Here's my take anyway: Rumor has it that all High Definition content providers will at some point only support devices that are HDCP compliant (read copy protection). This is not definitive, but a lot of buyers are wanting to future proof to some extent. The HS10 DVI input is HDCP compliant whereas the L300U's DVI input isn't. If HDCP does become a standard you should still be OK with the L300U, although only through Component input and not DVI. The Component input on the L300U is pretty good, so it may not be an issue anyway. [please correct my take on it if I'm wrong]

If you're not going to use the projector as a monitor then yes, it might not be important. Resolution was important to me due to my screen size vs seating distance ratio. From my front row the pixelation on the L300U's image was noticable, although not from the rear seats. I like a BIG image (100" wide, not diagonal) and my front row is only at 1.1 screen widths away. In this scenario the HS10 does a better job since I cannot see the pixels (with a slight defocus of course).

So, in the end I sacrificed better blacks and shadow details for higher resolution. I'm sort of happy, but the blacks and shadow details do bother me very much. Fortunately some movies are better than others. Try watching Blade II - it's a good one to check out the blacks and shadow details (or lack thereof).

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
tony,

Yes, the higher resolution will get you better HD pictures. I have seen HD materials side-by-side on the quarter-HD machines (Panny AE300, Sanyo Z1) versus the 720p-class machines (Sony HS10, Epson TW100H/Yamaha LPX-500), and the difference in image resolution was readily appreciable.

I would not dare to comment on the importance of HDCP either positively or negatively (although I personally doubt that it will become prevalent within next 2-3 years). If you decide not to care about it, I would suggest adding the Epson TW100 to your candidate. It is arguably one of the very best LCD projectors.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Sushi. I read the updated PC review of the Epson. It looks impressive, although at $4500 it's quite a bit more expensive than the Sony or Panny. How do the blacks and shadows compare to the Panny's?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.