AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading your posts here for several hours this weekend and you've been an incredible help. But I'm still stuck and I'm looking for some advice.

I was considering the Samsung DLP before I found this place and I read all the good and bad that folks had to say. I finally decided that DLP, RP-LCD, and LCoS are just too new for me so I looked at good old CRT models.

I found the glowing recommendations from all corners of the net for the Sony XBR910 and went shopping. Found some good prices and then did what I now think was a mistake. Came back here and read some more.

Now I'm wondering if the XBR910 is just the wrong choice for my situation. So this is where I could use some help.

My room is basically 14x14 square and I'm upgrading an older Sony 27" Trinitron XBR from the early 90s along with my whole HT. So at this point we sit about 9-11' from the TV.

Unfortunately the closest my wife will allow me to get the seating to the TV is about the same 9-10' due to the shape for the room, her furniture and the number of people usually watching the TV.

I don't have any HD signals at this time but plan to experiment with trying to get some OTA signals soon. So most of our viewing will be DirecTV and DVDs. I am just getting DirecTV hooked up this week so not sure if their stuff is mostly 4:3 or WS? DVD are mostly WS but some not. I do plan to move to HD from DirecTV when their HD/PVR system is available and has the kinks worked out, most likely late this year or next year.

So now I'm wondering if I'll be wasting my money and not happy with the XBR910 from this distance for what I'm watching. Will I see any noticible difference between the XBR910 and the 40XBR800 from 9-10'?

It looks like in my area I can get the XBR910 and the 40XBR800 for about the same price, although I haven't tried haggling the 40s price yet so that may end up being less.

Are there any other sets that will give me more real estate than my 27" for both 4:3 and WS? That is really what we want. My wife hates the black bars and I want more TV. I also want a good HD set to start my move in that direction. And my budget is ok at around 1500-2500, so I'm really wondering more about whats right for the room and our habits than I am worried about price.

Please be patient with a newbie and thanks for all your help so far.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
backwards,

I too upgraded from a Sony 27"XBR, and have now owned the 40XBR for about a year. Your viewing distance is also the same as mine, and is the proper distance for the 40XBR or a 42" Plasma. The 34XBR was second on my list, but it was determined too small for my viewing room and I wasn't quite ready for the larger Plasma screens. The 40"er has been an exceptional TV for me, and I'm more than satisfied w/its performance. When viewing HD/DVD in 16:9, I enjoy a 37" diagonal screen. Well over 90% of the broadcasts in my area is still 4:3, and by the time all these transition period mess is sorted out I'll be ready for that 50"-60" Plasma!

The 910's are really beautiful Tubes, but no matter how much I like this 34"er, my situation dictates a larger screen size. I still might get this Tube for the bedroom. Either one, 34XBR or 40XBR, you decide that best fits your needs is a winner, and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Quote:
Go widescreen!
I second that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies but let me restate my primary question.

- Viewing will be from 9-11' from the set.

- Little HD content now. Much more hopefully in 6-12 months

- Moslty 4:3 content from DirecTV (I assume)

- Most DVDs WS and whatever DirecTV content is WS

- Upgrading from 27" 4:3 Trinitron

- Want more real estate and not too fond of black bars.

Q1 - Will I see any difference in PQ at ~10', other than size obviously, between the 910 and the 40X?

Q2 - Will the 910 be too small at that distance? We've been watching the 27 from that distance for 10 years now.

I just don't want to get the 910 with its superior picture if at my viewing distance its a moot point.

And is a 14x14 room too small for the 40X?

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.