Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The theater construction has just begun so I figured it was time to start deciding/buying the equpiment I will need for it. The only problem is I'm not really sure what amplifier I need. I was looking at the Sony STRDE875 and the Denon AVR-2802, both of which seem like they would be fine for me. I'm really only going to start with lower-end 5.1 speakers, but would like the option to upgrade. I really would like to keep the price around $600, too. The Sony seems fine, but I do like the component switching on the Denon. I will probably have this connected to these components: lcd projector, progressive scan DVD player, possibly an HD sat/ota receiver, a VCR (don't laugh!), and maybe later on a DVHS deck. Which receiver do you think will suit my needs the best? It doesn't have to be the Sony or Denon, either. Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
forget about the sony get the denon- the denon amps are so much better.i have a yamaha but a would have got a denon if i didnt get such a deal on the yamaha.

its kinda like buying a neon or a civic bolth are about the same new but the civic holds value and has reliability(i have the non civic junk)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm in the upgrade market, too. In my research, I've seen a lot of good things about the Denon receivers. On the Sony side of things, don't bother with anything less than their ES line (STR-DA5ES and STR-DA3ES).

I change my mind every week. So, either I'm that indecisive, or most of the products at these price points are pretty close in terms of performance; I can't decide. ;)

--Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
"forget about the sony get the denon- the denon amps are so much better"

Ouaahhhaaaha ! What a good joke !!! :)

A denon A1D (5600 ?) can't match a little sony STR-db 925. Never heard something so flat in my room.

Dan JM, go for the STR-DB serie or above (forget sony entry level) and use your ears ;)

A+

·
Registered
117 Posts
I second the Sony DB series. My STR-DB 930 is just incredible and I paid about $400 for it a couple of years ago. It pushes some 4 ohm MTX floor speakers with 2-12" woofers like they were on wheels. I can rattle your chest, the walls, windows and even the ground outside my house on about 30% volume! If I forget to turn on the sub (It's behind the couch) it's hard to tell until I get to an earthquake scene.

Denon is I'm sure a good product, but between the two, watch the price.

Have fun.

Rick

·
Registered
557 Posts
I used to be die hard Sony fan until I was introduced to Denon. I still have Sony equipment such as my HDTV, HDSTB and megachanger. which is over ten years old. But if I had a recommend a receiver it would have to be the Denon 3802 for $699 from 6ave.com. At that price it would be hard to beat.

IMHO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.