AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello All,

I need you guys' help!  

I currently own a Polk PSW10 (don't laugh...I got if for $69 shipped lol).  I'm ready to take the next step and upgrade to a quality sub on a somewhat limited budget.  I would like to keep it at $600 or less...or even less than that if y'all think I can get away with it.  I have a 28x15x8 living room with openings of 5' to a dining room on one end and a hallway on the other end.  My uses would be about 50/50 music/HT.

I have a pair of Cambridge Audio s30's  ( http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/s30-bookshelf-speaker ) that I've been pretty satisfied with overall.  I will either be adding another s30 (single) or the s50 for the center channel.  I have a Pioneer VSX-822-K receiver ( http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-822-K ). So my current setup is by no means high end.

The general consensus seems to be that the best bang for your buck subs seem to start at $500.  I've been looking at the 

SVS PB-1000 and think I would be more than pleased with it coming from my meager Polk.  I want something that will last and won't have to worry about upgrading for awhile.

So, if you had your choice of a sub for $600 or less...which one would you pick?

SVS PB-1000 for $500 ( http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB-1000#.Us3VdJ5dU6w )

HSU VTF-2 MK4 for $600 ( http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html )

Rythmik LV12R for $600 (  http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/subs/lv12r.html )

Or, since I don't have a high end setup...would I probably be satisfied with something in the $2-300 range like these?

Lava LSP-12 for $230 on eBay ( http://www.lavasubs.com/12_inch/powered_home_subwoofer.html )

Bic Acoustech for about $275 ( http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1555&sc=28 )

Or something else that I may not even know about!  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

I agree with eljay but I think you will need something a more powerful. You have over 3300 cu ft in your listening room and that's not counting the rooms that open into it. That's a pretty large space.

You may want to consider saving a little longer and going with the larger subs that can be had in the $800 range such as the new SVS PB-2000 or PSA XV15. It's just a thought. But the hard truth about subs is they will try and fill all the open space they find and if it lacks the ability to do it your bass will be weak. 

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck  /t/1510648/help-a-noob-pick-a-sub-for-600#post_24181374

I forgot to add: Get one now, add another one later on.
Yes, that would probably be the best approach. Two LV12Rs would be nice. 

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well...I suppose I could spend up to $1k.  I sure as hell don't want to though lol!  What about 2 of the cheaper subs?  1 good one vs 2 not as good ones?

Would this not be overkill for my rather modest speakers?

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripledub  /t/1510648/help-a-noob-pick-a-sub-for-600#post_24181600

Well...I suppose I could spend up to $1k.  I sure as hell don't want to though lol!  What about 2 of the cheaper subs?  1 good one vs 2 not as good ones?

Would this not be overkill for my rather modest speakers?
No such thing as subwoofer over kill. 

I would opt for two good subs like the SVS or Rythmik at a little more cost and then I would rest easy at night knowing I will be happy (for at least a week). 

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'd have to go with the Rythmik too.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,818 Posts

I would say it depends on the layout of your room.  If you have two very good locations(such as front corner and rear corner), then dual pb1000's might be your best bet.  However, if you are like me, and only have one good location, then one better sub such as pb2000/xv15/vtf15 might be a better option.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1510648/help-a-noob-pick-a-sub-for-600#post_24181971

I would say it depends on the layout of your room.  If you have two very good locations(such as front corner and rear corner), then dual pb1000's might be your best bet.  However, if you are like me, and only have one good location, then one better sub such as pb2000/xv15/vtf15 might be a better option.
Good point...thanks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a similar sized living room, 25x13x9 and it has a bar that opens up into the kitchen. What do you guys mean by weak bass? I'm in a townhouse so don't want to shake walls, just want clean good bass. If it matters the main seating position will be 7 feet from the tv and speakers.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripledub  /t/1510648/help-a-noob-pick-a-sub-for-600#post_24181891

I originally was looking at a budget of about $2-300...you guys suck!

Lol, just kidding
I know what you mean, this is a dangerous place to hang out. Some budgets die a quick death, others die a slow agonizing death. At least you can take comfort in knowing you are not alone. 

Reactions: Tripledub

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1510648/help-a-noob-pick-a-sub-for-600#post_24181971

Good points bear. 

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yeah...Hop I know.  I love this place but man can you go broke in a hurry!

I did a little research on the PSA XV15 you mentioned earlier, as I have never heard of it.  I'm now intrigued by it as I believe I would rather just deal with 1 sub after Bear123 commented on needing 2 good locations vs 1.  I think the dual $500ish subs would be more of an ideal situation.

I am slightly encouraged by the subwoofer market that usually the more $$$ you spend the quality of the results is easier to quantify than the bookshelf speaker market IMO.  For example, I really enjoy the Cambridge Audio s30's especially considering I paid $150 for the pair.  I've had more expensive speakers and I genuinely like these better and the small size is perfect for my setup because the space where I have my TV has built in cabinets surrounding it.  I'm just worried that if I drop $500-1000 on a sub or 2 I'm going to be compelled to want to upgrade my s30's.

It never ends lol!!!

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripledub  /t/1510648/help-a-noob-pick-a-sub-for-600#post_24182722

Yeah...Hop I know.  I love this place but man can you go broke in a hurry!

I did a little research on the PSA XV15 you mentioned earlier, as I have never heard of it.  I'm now intrigued by it as I believe I would rather just deal with 1 sub after Bear123 commented on needing 2 good locations vs 1.  I think the dual $500ish subs would be more of an ideal situation.

I am slightly encouraged by the subwoofer market that usually the more $$$ you spend the quality of the results is easier to quantify than the bookshelf speaker market IMO.  For example, I really enjoy the Cambridge Audio s30's especially considering I paid $150 for the pair.  I've had more expensive speakers and I genuinely like these better and the small size is perfect for my setup because the space where I have my TV has built in cabinets surrounding it.  I'm just worried that if I drop $500-1000 on a sub or 2 I'm going to be compelled to want to upgrade my s30's.

It never ends lol!!!
You're right about that, it never ends. But at least its fun. 

I have the XV15. Just bought it back in November and really like it a lot. I think it may be the best purchase I've ever made for my HT set up. It easily had the biggest impact on the sound quality of my HT. The bass of the XV15 digs deep, it's clean and it's powerful. Does both music and movies wonderfully. 

I almost bought the SVS PB12-NSD but went with the XV15 for the extra power. If the new SVS PB-2000 had been out I don't know which one I would have chosen. I think either one will make a great addition to a HT and you can't go wrong with either of the two subs (IMO).

Don't hesitate to email either company with questions, they are great to work with. 

1 - 17 of 17 Posts