AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, getting my first pair of bi-wireable speakers. Conventionally, I understand you can run two sets of cables off of the same output on your amp to the speakers hi/low jacks. You can also run the jacks in parallel off of 1 set of wires. Or a combination of both.

My question is, can I run two sets of wires from two different amps running the same source? Will this damage the speaker? What if you accidently play different sources while your speaker is set-up like this, so the hi/low of the speaker are trying to play different things... Just curious.

Last question, I have a pioneer elite that plays 7 channel stereo. Taking my question above, can I run 2 sets of wires from two speaker outputs on my receiver into the hi/low feeds of my biwireable speaker..... as long as I keep the 7 channel stereo mode on and not some surround mode?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Bi-wiring is basically pointless. It's the EXACT same electrical circuit if you run speaker wire to one pair of terminals and jumper to the other set of terminals as it is splitting the wire coming off the amp and connecting to the four separate terminals.

Now, if you run two speaker wires off the amp and connect to the two sets of terminals, all you are basically doing is increasing the gage of the wire. Depending on the gage of wire that you use, it "might" be a tiny bit less stressful on the amp with the extra copper. BUT, with such a short run to the speakers (less than 50' in most cases), even this is debatable on whether it will actually help.

The biggest bang for your buck and an improvement that WILL make a difference in sound.... is to remove the shiny brass plated nickel jumpers that came from the factory. Make a set of your own out of the same wire that you use coming off the amp. Now, that IS a worthwhile upgrade.

Quote:
My question is, can I run two sets of wires from two different amps running the same source?

What you are talking about here, is bi-amping. PASSIVE bi-amping, is basically pointless unless your receiver or amp is VERY underpowered. Active bi-amping however can be VERY beneficial. But, that involves an external crossover and some very careful tweaking and level matching.

Quote:
What if you accidently play different sources while your speaker is set-up like this, so the hi/low of the speaker are trying to play different things... Just curious.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.... If using separate amps, your feed comes off the source (your receiver or pre/pro) then to the amp, then on to the speaker. You will only be running a single source at any given time.

Quote:
can I run 2 sets of wires from two speaker outputs on my receiver into the hi/low feeds of my biwireable speaker..... as long as I keep the 7 channel stereo mode on and not some surround mode?

Unless your YAMMY is somehow different.... each channel has a purpose. (Front Left, Front Right, Center, Surround Right, Surround Left, Surround Back Left and Surround Back Right or something similar). Connecting an "extra" set of wires from an un-used set of speaker terminals (say Surround Back L/R) to the FRONT MAIN speakers, would screw the pooch as far as sound I would think. Two TOTALLY different signals involved. If you set the Yammy to "STEREO," You will only be getting a signal to the Front L/R anyway.

In closing.... you will get opinions all over the place on Bi-Wiring. Some have bought into the "hype" and are convinced that it made their speakers go from sounding like a tin cup.... to the Holy Grail of music reproduction. Hey.... I can respect that. If it sounds better to YOU... then I'm all for it.

All I recommend, is try it for yourself and see if it makes a difference to YOU.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.