AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have been searching through countless threads to find the right answer to my questions, but I've given up in hope you can steer me in the right direction. I am redoing my basement and have several zones in which I need to put dimmers on. Here is how my basement is laid out:

Corner Area: 3-4 lights They currently have a mechanical dimmer

Bar Area: 3 lights( also on their own dimmer)

Home Theater: 11 lights( need to have their own)

Entrance area: 5( 3 way mechanical switch currently)

Pool Area: 5 lights( need to have their own zone)

I want all of these lights to be controlled through RF so I was thinking of going through Z Wave dimmers or UPB with a 8 scene controller. I understand that I need 5 dimmers, but how many access points would I need to get adequate control over these if i did decide to go with Z wave? The square footage of the basement is around 1200.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I recently upgraded all of my old X10 to Zwave. Like moving from the stone age. Zwave rocks. I have great coverage in our 3000+ square foot home. SJ

·
Registered
645 Posts
When you say control via Rf, do you mean from the switches or from an Rf remote? I ask because Lutron just showed a brand new product at CES designed for integrating small systems and remote controls. Its called RadioRA SR. The biggest limitations are the distance between devices (30') and max number of devices (10). Off the bat its designed to work with RTI, UEI, URC, AMX, Crestron, NetStreams, Philips, Savant, Elan, HomeLogic, and Life|Ware.

URC has its own Lutron branded devices that work directly with their remotes without an interface.

The Harmony 890 will operate ZWave lighting controls from various manufacturers.

GE and Jasco have introduced a ZWave home theater remote that's only $99.

http://www.lutron.com/cms400/assets/...520177E657.pdf

http://www.jascoproducts.com/z-wave/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for helping me decide. My goal is to control all of these dimmers through a RF remote which I think I will going with the 890 or mx-3000 to control Z wave devices. The lutron RadioRA sr looks promising, but I can't seem to find a future price for them. I do plan to introduce a touchscreen PC to do some home automation in the future, but for now I just want to deal with very basic lighting scenes. I currently use a harmony remote and find it to be very easy to control and configure, but I do have to admit I want a bigger remote like the MX-3000 for the theater.

·
Registered
645 Posts
An MX-3000 will not control a ZWave light switch. It could however provide an input signal to a home automation controller that then sends ZWave commands through a ZWave interface. There are simpler solutions, including URC's own Lutron Rf light switches. These however cannot be controlled from the Harmony.

AFAIK, RadioRA SR packages are expected to start around $800. They are not yet available for delivery.

The URC/Lutron dimmers are about $150 a piece.

jcmitch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the help! Putting in 5 of those dimmers is probably a little more than I wanted to spend. After some searching, I think a Nevo q50 and some z wave dimmers looks like it could fit the bill. It seems like this can do everything I want/need.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Various manufacturer's ZWave switches are available for less than the Lutron products, but I would continue the research on your choice of remote. I have heard more than a small number of complaints about the Nevo Q50.

jcmitch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts