AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Yamaha RX-V377 for a few years now and up until now I've been using a cheap Monoprice sub. Just recently the sub went so I picked myself up a Dayton Audio SUB-1200, but wanted to make sure I get the most out of my new equipment. After plugging it in, I re-ran the receiver's automatic optimization program which uses a YPAO connector to detect speaker connections and optimizes settings. Doing this told me to first set the sub volume to half and set the crossover frequency to maximum. I'm wondering if this is just for testing and now should be adjusted or if it is meant to be left like that? I noticed there is also a crossover setting in the receiver's settings, should this match what I set the sub to? Also, should I leave the sub in the On position or will Auto work fine? If you have any advice on properly optimizing the speakers I'd be happy to listen to that too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
939 Posts
leave the sub crossover to max - this allows crossover control to happen in the yamaha only

sub volume set to half - after ypao, adjust to personal taste or use the level setting in the receiver, with the receiver settings it's easier to go back to the setting you liked as you play around, getting it exact on a little knob on the sub is harder (many of us add a bit)

receiver crossover settings- many of us adjust to taste with the subwoofer/main speaker crossover but for proper room correction don't go lower on the surround speakers themselves

on/auto - auto should work fine it detects signal and automatically turns on, if it doesn't turn up the receiver levels for the subwoofer

if you want to optimize the sub more
- do the "subwoofer crawl" for placement (google it)

- (optional)
you can adjust the sub volume up until ypao has the receiver setting just above it's lowest setting for example -7 / -10
this allows the subwoofer amp do do most of the work for the sub, and have more headroom for sudden big booms, after ypao adjust to taste
(like talking into a microphone and not yelling into it)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Cranking the crossover on the sub all the way clockwise is basically disabling it. You then control the XO from the receiver. 80Hz is a popular choice, but it depends on what your speakers are capable of. The Dayton amp tends to need to be turned up a little more than most, so I would first try it at about 1-2 o'clock, particularly with a Yamaha receiver. Run YPAO and see what it comes back with for the sub level. -6 to -10 is a good range, then you can increase the sub level from the receiver, leaving the sub as is. Just refrain from going into the + numbers. If the result comes back -5 to even in the + numbers, increase the sub gain accordingly and re-run YPAO. Auto on/off (standby) used to not work well on these subs, so that probably hasn't changed. I had three of them at one point in time and the standby wasn't very reliable. I resorted to leaving them on, or turning them off if I knew I wasn't going to be using them for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, now you're starting to lose me a bit lol. Like I said, I'm a novice and pretty inexperienced with this stuff, so I don't want to go adjusting stuff too much without really knowing what I'm doing.
Cranking the crossover on the sub all the way clockwise is basically disabling it. You then control the XO from the receiver. 80Hz is a popular choice, but it depends on what your speakers are capable of.
You said 80Hz is a popular choice, but my receiver is currently set to 60, should I bump it up? How would I know if it is set too high or too low? Also, how do I know what my speakers are capable of? Would it help if I told you what kind of speakers I have?

The Dayton amp tends to need to be turned up a little more than most, so I would first try it at about 1-2 o'clock, particularly with a Yamaha receiver. Run YPAO and see what it comes back with for the sub level. -6 to -10 is a good range, then you can increase the sub level from the receiver, leaving the sub as is. Just refrain from going into the + numbers. If the result comes back -5 to even in the + numbers, increase the sub gain accordingly and re-run YPAO.
When you say turn it up to 1 o'clock, you are talking about the gain knob now and not the XO right? Again, how can I tell if it is not already fine at 12? Currently my sub is set to -5.5dB, think that's too high?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Alright, now you're starting to lose me a bit lol. Like I said, I'm a novice and pretty inexperienced with this stuff, so I don't want to go adjusting stuff too much without really knowing what I'm doing.

You said 80Hz is a popular choice, but my receiver is currently set to 60, should I bump it up? How would I know if it is set too high or too low? Also, how do I know what my speakers are capable of? Would it help if I told you what kind of speakers I have?

When you say turn it up to 1 o'clock, you are talking about the gain knob now and not the XO right? Again, how can I tell if it is not already fine at 12? Currently my sub is set to -5.5dB, think that's too high?
60Hz is a bit lower than usual, but it depends on your speakers. Say you have tower speakers that play down to 40Hz +/- 3dB, then 60Hz XO could be used. Still yet, some people would prefer 80Hz with those same speakers, letting the subwoofer handle that range. It's just personal preference and you can experiment with different XO settings to see what you like for yourself.

You disable the crossover by turning the knob all the way clockwise. Setting the gain to 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc. is what you adjust to see where YPAO sets your sub output level. If YPAO results were -5.5 for the sub @12 o'clock, I would bump the sub gain knob up to 1-2 o'clock and re-run YPAO. That should most likely come back in the -7to -10 range, which would be good.

·
Registered
939 Posts
80Hz is a popular choice
dolby labs sets the crossover at 80hz because thats where it starts to get localized
which means
above 80hz you can start to determine where the bass is coming from
proper bass is not directional
and proper speaker placement is not always the same place for proper sub placement, (bass sound waves are much longer)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dolby labs sets the crossover at 80hz because thats where it starts to get localized
which means
above 80hz you can start to determine where the bass is coming from
proper bass is not directional
and proper speaker placement is not always the same place for proper sub placement, (bass sound waves are much longer)
Do you think you could expand on this a bit in lament's terms? I'm not sure if you are agreeing with the other guy or not haha. Would you recommend I follow his instructions?

·
Registered
377 Posts
80Hz is the default for my yamaha 373. I have not checked it since running the YPAO

·
Registered
939 Posts
Do you think you could expand on this a bit in lament's terms? I'm not sure if you are agreeing with the other guy or not haha. Would you recommend I follow his instructions?
dolby labs or thx is industry standard, most are factory default settings, so it is a recommended setting

some people (like my wife) can't tell the difference when the crossover is changed, for some it's a very clear difference
this is personal choice

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
60Hz is a bit lower than usual, but it depends on your speakers. Say you have tower speakers that play down to 40Hz +/- 3dB, then 60Hz XO could be used. Still yet, some people would prefer 80Hz with those same speakers, letting the subwoofer handle that range. It's just personal preference and you can experiment with different XO settings to see what you like for yourself.

You disable the crossover by turning the knob all the way clockwise. Setting the gain to 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc. is what you adjust to see where YPAO sets your sub output level. If YPAO results were -5.5 for the sub @12 o'clock, I would bump the sub gain knob up to 1-2 o'clock and re-run YPAO. That should most likely come back in the -7to -10 range, which would be good.
Just set the knob to somewhere between 1 and 2 o'clock, ran YPAO again and came back with -5.5 still. The XO went up to 80Hz, and oddly enough, some of the speaker levels changed (front went from 0 to -2.5, and surround config went from large to small). Would you suggest bumping up the sub gain closer to 3 o'clock and running again?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts