AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find the best option for audio playback of my A2. I currently am using hdmi (for audio only) to my Pioneer 74txi and component video to my Pioneer 630hd Tv (waiting for A2 firmware update to solve hdmi/dvi). My speakers are Beta 50's, 360 center, and 250es side and rear surrounds.

The problem is my receiver does not boost sub channel the required 10bd/15db. (a fix is in the works on this also from Pioneer) I have changed my speaker setup to all speakers large and sub yes and have a maacr set up that raises the sub 15db for when I play hddvd. I just change eq This seems to work "OK" for hddvd playpack. The disadvantage is with this speaker setup on other sources I loose the sub on non 5.1 material, still does not sound bad though, beta 50's have fairly good bass.

I am questioning is this the best compromize for my situation? I see my choices as follows:

1. Change a2 to optical out. I can go back to all small speakers setup and do not need a seperate maacr setting. Disadvantage I would loose TrueHD. Is there that much difference in truehd and dd+?

2. Leave a2 hdmi out for audio and speakers still to small and try to find a sub setting that works. (you can't boost sub output only this way you also boost redirected bass from other channels.

3. Use my current set up as discribed above.

I don't see me getting the Pioneer "fix" done as that seems to require taking receiver to a service center and possible shipping off to have fixed. I don't have a backup receiver and really don't want to be without for possible weeks.

Anyone else with this situation? Any thoughts on other setup options? Why can't manufactures "get it right"! I have two pieces of equipment that both need to be "fixed" or "updated"

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have really struggled with what route to go on this. I've tried running my speakers as "large" but in all honesty it sounds more muddy to me. There's a level of clarity lost and there's no way my speakers can put out the same quantity/quality of bass as my sub. Doing this, and boosting the sub +10 definetly results in the LFE channel sounding just like it should compared to the DD tracks I've compared. I am sure that I am actually losing bass information as my surrounds are all bookshelves and my mains aren't really useful below 40.

I've tried running all speakers small with a separate MACCC profile with the sub boosted around plus 7 for the HD-DVD tracks and I think it sounds better this way than going large. Occasionally I'll get some music that will sound really boomy. I'm also worried that any explosions will just be over the top where the bass is routed through the speakers as opposed to the LFE. This way definitely sounds better to me though than running my speakers as large. The other advantage is it's easy to switch back to the correct MACCC profile for all regular dolby and dts soundtracks which sound great to me.

The only option I haven't tried is running all small with the player set to bitstream and converting the soundtracks to DTS. I've resisted because my receiver does PCM, I payed for it to do PCM, and knowing those true-hd tracks are out there makes me want to use PCM. I have a suspicion though that this would probably be best over all. Can anyone comment that has made direct comparisons between PCM on the pio with any of the above solutions vs. running bit stream?

I think once a fix is officially available, I will probably ship mine off for repair. If for no other reason than peace of mind.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm using HDMI from A2 to my Pioneer 72 with HDMI from it to my HDTV. All my speakers are large and I have the Pioneer set that way. I actually make use of 5 different MCACC settings. On all of them I have the subwoofer set at plus. I use MCACC #5 for playing HD-DVD's. MCACC #1 is the auto MCACC setup by the Pioneer. On MCACC #5 I have boosted the center speaker by 2 or four clicks since it goes by .5. I have raised the subwoofer from -8 to +4. With this setup everything sounds great but I can understand that it wouldn't work well for those with small speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.