AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My basement has already been finished into a 'regular' room. I am converting it to a HT and one of the first steps will be mounting my projector so I can determine screen size. I need an outlet on the ceiling next to the projector of course. What would be the best way to tie onto another wall outlet? I have thought of cutting a sizable hole in the ceiling between the projector and wall and fishing the wire through that way and then patching the hole. I'm assuming I need to get access to the top plate of the basement wall to drill holes for the wiring. Am I missing something obvious or an easier method? My video/audio cables will need to come down the same wall as well.

Any advice appreciated.

The beginning.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=791905

·
Registered
417 Posts
You've got the right idea. You could build a shallow beam or a complimentary design element and use it as a wire chase. Other than that, see if you can get structured wire for the projector - it's easier to pull. If you have ductwork in the ceiling, which supplies air to a room above, it's possible to (temporarily) remove the vent and fish the wire from above. Also, if you don't know what's behind the wall use a sensor; wires are often attached to top plates.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
In a perfect world, it is nice to have the PJ on its own circuit (or on the same circuit as the AV equipment/sub). So if there is a way to run a new circuit (20 amp)from the breaker box to the room, that would be ideal. If not feasible, then, yes, tie into the closest outlet.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,653 Posts
Rx, I had to run a wire for the outlet for my projector as well. What I did is cut 2 holes.

The first was a small square hole in the exact position of the new outlet. It was the size required for an old work electrical box.

The second was a 4 inch (used my hole cutter in a drill) round hole in the ceiling at the very outside perimeter of the room. I made sure that both holes were in the same ceiling joist cavity.

These holes were about 15 ft apart but it was all I needed to fish all my cables and wires for the projector. I used a chief mount and I was able to reach up the square hole to feed the DVI and component cables down the hole and into the shaft of the mount. Once those were in place I wired up the receptacle and put the old wold box and receptacle up into the ceiling (no hole to patch)

As for the other round hole. You take the piece of drywall that you cut out and use it as the patch. Just stick a length of 1x2 up into the hole fasten and then fasten the plug to it and patch. I found that if you peel the paper off the back of the plug it gets a little thinner and then is slightly recessed when you mount it to the 1x2. That way the mud is a lot easier to get smoothed out in that area.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the explanations. I had a feeling that I was going to have to do what I described. I just wanted to make sure before I started making holes.

BIGmouthinDC,

I understand your description at the projector and the patching. How did you get the wiring down the wall from the 4" hole? Was there enough room to access the top of the wall? Wouldn't the wires need to come down through the wall plate from the ceiling and down into the wall?

My ceiling beams run parallel to my screen so I will have to go over those instead of right down a channel, but my projector will only be 3-4ft. from the back wall where the wall outlet is.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMan1 /forum/post/0

BIGmouthinDC,

I understand your description at the projector and the patching. How did you get the wiring down the wall from the 4" hole? Was there enough room to access the top of the wall? Wouldn't the wires need to come down through the wall plate from the ceiling and down into the wall?

My ceiling beams run parallel to my screen so I will have to go over those instead of right down a channel, but my projector will only be 3-4ft. from the back wall where the wall outlet is.

Now for the rest of the story. The electrical came from the adjacent unfinished space but had to go over my HVAC ducts and plumbing in a soffit.

The AV cables had a 15 ft lateral run inside a soffit. So I cut about 3 more of the 4 inch round holes I described.

In your case you will need a hole through the top plate as you said. Depending on your drills and bit extenders this can be done with the drill held inside the room and the bit angled up from a hole in the wall near the ceiling. Worst case a hole big enough to fit the drill inside the wall. If you are doing wall treatments a whole in the wall is not big deal. A sloppy patch won't be visible.

As for going up and over a ceiling beam, usually the beams run from ceiling to floor above, Where is the up in your case? Do you have a room within a room construction? Sounds like you are going to need to drill holes through the beams as well so you'll need even more holes in the ceiling.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just meant that I wont be able to run the wire in the space between the beams because they run the other way making fishing a bit more difficult.

Here is a picture that should help. I was thinking a larger hole in the ceiling where I could drill down in to the wall plate instead of two holes? I don't know. Where do people typically mount the outlet near the projector. In my case it will be on one side of the projector like I illustrated. Beams in purple, wiring in red.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.