AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. im a first time poster with little or no experience with audio setup, and surround sound in particular. i'm finally going to take the plunge and am looking to buy and set up my first surround sound system (5.1 or 7.1) into our new house in the family room. My concern is that the family room is L shaped.

i've attached a very basic outline of the room as is with a possible 5.1 speaker layout. Im wondering if this room layout is usable, any ideas?

Theres a chance in the future we could put up a temporary wall on the left of the couch, in effect make the room rectangular.... but until then could this L room layout work with any success?

any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
You need some symmetry. Can you change to another wall? Ideally, the center channel needs to be in the center, and the L&R forming an equilateral triangle, then the surrounds about 10 degrees behind the primary listening position,... all with as much left to right symmetry as possible. Additionally, get the primary LP off a rear wall, if possible.

This entry level, interactive guide may be of some help.

Here is a fantastic link, detailing the many facets of an ideal room set-up.

Don't be afraid to significantly re-position things, to get the placement right. Loudspeaker placement, and optimization of set-up and acoustics is the single most important area of concern whereby the greatest gains can be made. This cannot be over-stated; it's all about placement and optimization.

Once you've determined placement of mains and surrounds, learn as much as you can regarding subwoofer placement. Many goodies here .

Good luck

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Agree with the above poster, we also don't know how big the room is. In this day and age of HT, you are "supposed" to sit around 8 feet from a 60" screen.

So, if you can "flip" the TV to the wall the couch is on, put the couch at the base of the stairs. Then the area where you show the TV now, can be used for a fridge or whatever else, but that is the worst place for the actual TV and LCR. Every other wall(except for the two at the stairs) is a much better choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.