AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone!
So i have started out on putting together a 2-channel setup. All music is digital. I don't foresee investing in any physical media (CD, or Vinyl, or DVD Audio or SA-CD). Used to own 400+ CDs, ripped them to my PC and shipped them off to secondspin.com. I'm also not looking to do anything with this set up except use it primarily for music. I already have a dedicated HT in the basement for movies. This set up will go in the family TV-roomo/lounge.

Bookshelves: 2x Polk Audio LSiM703 (50 Hz - 30,000 Hz)
Subwoofer: Martin Logan Depth i (20 Hz - 120 Hz)
  • Low Pass Filter Frequency: 30, 35, 45, 55, 65, 80Hz

Other Components Purchased
Receiver: Harman Kardon HK 3490
Creative X-Fi HD USB to Optical link
Desktop PC: Dell Inspiron 3646 (Celeran J1800)

Question:
What crossover frequency should I set the sub too? Do i set it to 55Hz for the slight overlap? 65? What's the rule usually. Is it set to the lowest frequency the speaker will handle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would experiment and see what sounds best. Generally that claimed 50Hz extension is already -3dB, so I would probably try 65 or 80 Hz.

The THX spec is 80Hz, and this is generally what most people use as most speakers are capable of playing down to this point sufficiently, and the bass is still not very localizable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found 80 as a great starting point. My 2.1 setup sounds great at 80. I have tried as low as 60 and as high as 110, but I've gone back to 80 because I like the sound best there. So, IMO , 80 is a great place to start and then start tweaking until you like what you hear.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. Yea that part I saw but didn't understand 50 Hz at -3db.

I presume that the setting for this speaker on the receiver will be 'Small' as opposed to 'Large'.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
What are you using to high pass the mains?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgive my newbieness I'm sorry I didn't understand your question. Please rephrase. Thx.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
What are you using to high pass the mains?
He would be using the Denon...that question does not even need be asked.

Forgive my newbieness I'm sorry I didn't understand your question. Please rephrase. Thx.
The XOs in any AVR, pre-amp sets both hi-pass and low-pass points.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He would be using the Denon...that question does not even need be asked.

The XOs in any AVR, pre-amp sets both hi-pass and low-pass points.
Ah, sorry. There is a twist now :) I ended up getting the Harman Kardon HK 3490 :) Found one on Craig's for $150 and picked that baby up.

The XO can be set up through the subwoofer. I'll be using the line level in and out to connect to the preamp and main on the receiver and then the low frequency cut off will be set on the subs. I'll start with the industry standard 80 Hz

Reactions: 4DHD

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Yep the 3390, 3490 are very good units.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts