Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am located in Australia and as such have the Panasonic AE300. I recently purchased a Panasonic QTR2140 1080i HD set top box and found that there was a small black boarder all around the screen edge when setting the HDSTB outputs to HD and inputting the STB's output into the Projector by Component or VGA. I was frankly a bit unhappy about this as I was under the impression that the Panasonic AE300/L300U downscaled 1080 perfectly by 2:1 so I did not expect to see a boarder and even if this was not the case, I would have thought that the projector would have scaled the HD input to fill the screen. I have contacted Panasonic Australia and they agree that this is not right and have gone into 'testing' until further notice.

I have tested the STB on two AE300's and a CRT TV and have tested two of the STB's. The STB was fullscreen via component onthe CRT TV.

Do you know why the boarder is present? Is this a limitation of the design of this projector? I have friends with the same STB coupled with HS10's and they get full screen, I have also seen CRT HD TV's with my HD STB and they display full screen also. Is there or was there a thread on here about this limitation of the AE300/L300U ? What are other peoples experiences?

Cheers,

Nick

·
Registered
85 Posts
I heard of this before I bought my projector (L300) three months ago. Thought it was just nature of the beast. Shouldn't be that way but it is. I guess so many people notice other problems such as scanlines, that I guess are more bothersome with this PJ that they often forget about this one and live with it.

Rick

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I find it strange that the PT-L300U does this but the PT-L200U does not. I know this may be a dumb question, but can't you just zoom out a little to fill the screen and have the black border "disappear" into your screen's border?

·
Registered
820 Posts
When you consider the fact that more than a handfull of people (including myself) have the black borders w/ HD sources, it seems that it is just the way the projector was designed...it really isn't a big deal. I got used to the borders after 100 hours...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have the black border too and I do zoom out so as to lose the border. My black felt frame around the screen does a good job to hide and image that spills over.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
According to the reviewer at projector central it is inherent in the design and panny owners have to live with it. They never mentioned which HD receiver they used. Zooming, at this time, may be your best work around.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an L300u (AE300) along with a Zenith HD520, and have a small black border all the way around. I notice it, but visitors are so blown away with the quality of the picture that they don't.

(Shrug) - for what I paid for the projector, I didn't expect it to be perfect. Despite this and other small blips I am very pleased with this PJ. Most importantly the image inside that small black border is incredibly good.

Sand

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have the black border as well. Given that the image is 8' wide, I really don't care about 1 inch of unused pixels.

David

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one.

In response to '.. can't you just zoom out a little to fill the screen and have the black border "disappear" into your screen's border', I guess I could, but then when I switch to DVD or analogue TV I have overspill by about an inch all the way around my fixed frame. Yes the black boarder does soak up the image to a point but you can still see the overspill. The only alternative to this is to manually adjust the zoom everytime I switch between free-to-air and DVD, which is just not realistic on a manual zoom projector such as the AE300.

My main beef with the 1 inch boarder is simply that with a black fixed frame, if the image is not butting up against the frame, the benefit of a black fixed frame of creating the impression that blacks within the image are in fact blacker than they are, is very much lessened.

I was hoping someone would advise me that they had tabled this technical fault with Panasonic already and they had reported an iminent firmware upgrade to fix this bug :(

Cheers all,

Nick.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
the main issue with this that I have is: the TOP boarder!

Sure, manual zooming every time a different input is selected is a royal pain, but, the top boarder cannot be "zoomed" away. I have static black 16:9 masking, but, is useless for this problem. I dont do HD sources, but, the Bravo D1 through DVI does the same thing with the boarders!

Don't get me wrong, I love the 300U but that long list of support reolutions in the back of the manual is "theoretical" support resolution the hardware "should" support.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.