AVS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Thanks. I know there are several high end manufacturers that build subs like this, so I'm assuming it works great.

Assuming it works great? That's a dangerous assumption, like relying on autonomous braking to stop your car before hitting a brick wall, or a self driving car to make the right decision based on inputs that can be spoofed with low tech like a vehicle mounted projector shining images onto pavement ahead.

I'll save you the trouble, what you have isn't worth your time or energy. I'd like an inexpensive 200 mph vehicle that gets 50 mpg, and corners like it's on rails, but that is not a realistic expectation.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
after all the other 'what ifs"

is this a potential SLAPS or PR design / build . . .

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
It sure seems like this thread is more focused on custom (if you can call it that) integrating a subwoofer into a room rather than building a diy subwoofer.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
To add, what size subwoofer should I be looking at? I have a tone of room in the crawlspace, but at the same time don't know if I want a 4' box either! You think a 15" subwoofer would be good or should I be looking at like an 18"?

I think it's time to re-group. You have mentioned that you want big bass impact, and in a room that has an open arch with dimensions such as they are, 21" to 24" subwoofer drivers would be a good place to start.

Placement of these sources in the room doesn't have to boil down to playing the lottery or 'luck' IE: your one shot deal. Acoustic modeling of the space is possible, or even a simplified wave model can help. http://www.falstad.com/ripple/

Free software - Room EQ wizard, in conjunction with a computer, an inexpensive sound card and ~$60 microphone with a sealed subwoofer can give you objective data where to place your subwoofer(s) for optimum performance across the listening positions. Room EQ wizard also has a modeling simulator.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
All,

This plan seemed all fine until I talked to SVS. They said that even though we had the woofer itself and the ports pointing into the media room, it would still have tons of output behind it and on the sides of it in that cabinet in the adjacent room. We do not want this. We don't want the adjacent room pounding with bass every time the SVS is playing in the media room. So I'm searching for another option.

SVS has a handle on the physics of low frequency sound, it is omnidirectional. Your open arch will not contain bass, nor will the 'insulation' as drawn in the plan contain bass. Even a room within a room construction with double 5/8" FR drywall on resilient channel will not contain low frequencies well.

20 hz bass has a 56.5 foot wavelength. http://www.mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would be a bit Leary of that setup. You are going to need to have the port the exact correct length to have the tune correct. A flexible tube doesn't sound like a great idea as you want everything nice and rigid. If you go DIY you could build or have built something to fit the space and design elements you need. I am guessing that you are spending a fair bit on the house so why try to half ass this. There are a few solutions that have been suggested that could work well. But you need to be flexible about the idea.

·
Registered
650 Posts
This makes no sense

As others have said, why are you half-arsing this trying to use a design concept that works in a car in your home?

Also, if you have 8000 square feet of living space, how do you you NOT have plenty of floor space to put subwoofers in the room? Placing the subwoofers into the room allows for accurate positioning to optimize the in-room response. Even if you are set on building your own subwoofers, you could easily finish the exterior of the boxes with any flavor of furniture grade wood and stain to make them look good.

If I could afford to build a new home with 8000 square feet, I'm positive I could pay someone to build me some beautiful subs, although I would probably go straight to Funk Audio or Deep Sea Sound and have one of them build me some subs I'd be happy with.

Reactions: johnson636

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I don't want to do anything weird or makeshift
Sounds exactly like what he's wanting to do

·
Registered
540 Posts
The easy button solution would be funk or Deep sea sounds. A pair of the Marina 24 would be a very solid plan. He can make them custom to your wants.

·
Premium Member
24,090 Posts
How many rows of seating?

If more than one, there's lots of volume available under the riser.

Or a couch for that matter.

Also kills two birds - since they're much closer, output requirements are much less, and since they're close, the nearfield response will be greater relative to the modal response.

Actually, three birds - they drivers will vibrate the couch, so transducers for no extra cost.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts