AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I'm finally getting around to setting up my basement for some quality Movie watching. Baby steps...baby steps.

I'm basically trying to figure out what resolution I should have my Pioneer DVD Player set at (Pioneer DV-410V-K) and my Infocus projector (IN72) (I tried to post links but forum rules prevented me from doing so since I haven't had three posts yet).

Ya ya I know, it's not blu-ray or true 1080P...but like I said. Baby steps. I'm so behind on home theatre lingo and technology...the last tv I bought was my 27 inch Sony Trinitron 14 years ago. So needless to say...it's going to take me a while to catch up.

If anyone can take a look at the specs on those two components and let me know what to set these to, it'd be appreciated. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they'll be used for just regular DVD's and hooked up using HDMI cable.

·
Registered
374 Posts
According to the specs, the Pioneer will only upscale via HDMI (so use HDMI). It will go up to 1080P.

Start at 1080P and work your way down through the settings (1080i, 720P) until you find whatever is best for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for posting those links and for responding to my thread (had almost given up hope). I do have the DVD player wired via HDMI. So I need to change the setting on the DVD player, do I just leave the settings on the projector? I wasn't sure if something has to be done with the projector or if it just picks up what's being played into it.

And is what's "best" for me going to be obvious? Like if I "over upscale" a movie will it be obvious to me that it is? (um...and if so...this won't cause any harm to either the DVD player or projector will it?)

Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a CRT projector, so I'm not much help with your digital. My CRT just takes whatever signal I give it, so I never have to worry about settings with it when it comes to resolution.

Since my projector can't resolve 1080P, I usually play around with 1080i, 720P and some custom resolutions until I find what looks best to me. Generally one of them looks "softer" than the other, its more of a feel thing than anything. With your digital, I don't know if that would work the same or not. You should be able to tell the difference between the resolutions and hopefully something will look better.

And no, you won't cause any harm to your dvd player or the projector.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You almost certainly will get the best performance running the DVD player at its native resolution, 480p. If you run some other resolution, the image gets rescaled not once but twice--once by the player, and once by the projector.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts