AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had thought I was going to get a plasma tv for our small apartment because I am noticing ghosting on LCD tv's, even with the 6 ms response time Sharp. Now, I was watching a hockey game in the store briefly the other night and I was really disturbed at the lack of white with the Plasma (comparing to a Panasonic 42 inch) and Samsung 42 LCD.

Our apartment can get quite bright but we do have blinds. I was told that Plasma is best for dark rooms while LCD for brighter ones. In our case, it's about a 50/50 split.

Maybe we should wait and buy a tube tv until the response time of LCD improves or the whites improve on plasmas?

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsgroup /forum/post/0

Well, I had thought I was going to get a plasma tv for our small apartment because I am noticing ghosting on LCD tv's, even with the 6 ms response time Sharp. Now, I was watching a hockey game in the store briefly the other night and I was really disturbed at the lack of white with the Plasma (comparing to a Panasonic 42 inch) and Samsung 42 LCD.

Our apartment can get quite bright but we do have blinds. I was told that Plasma is best for dark rooms while LCD for brighter ones. In our case, it's about a 50/50 split.

Maybe we should wait and buy a tube tv until the response time of LCD improves or the whites improve on plasmas?

As long as you have some reasonable control of bright light, you should be good with a plasma. To a large extent, a white displayed is a function of calibration adjustments. So get the plasma now, adjust the color temperature/white balance, and begin enjoying the best picture you can have.

Cheers,

Gary

and remember .... friends don't let friends buy LCD.

edited for my bad spelling!

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap /forum/post/0

Cheers,

Gary

and remember .... friends don't let friends but LCD.

...or even buy them for that matter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks..one more [newb] question. Should I be concerned that the Panasonic plasma tv (TH42PX6) that we are considering downconverts 1080i/p to 768? How would this effect the viewing or picture quality if it was not downconverted?

·
Registered
590 Posts

Quote:

The other obvious question is how much worse was the ghosting with the LCD in the store than it was with the plasma. You might decide that the difference is small enough - especially at normal viewing distances - that it is worth putting up with in order not to have to watch your TV with the shutters down and lights off:) - DR

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:

Thanks..one more [newb] question. Should I be concerned that the Panasonic plasma tv (TH42PX6) that we are considering downconverts 1080i/p to 768? How would this effect the viewing or picture quality if it was not downconverted?

What you need to understand is that plasma (and LCD, DLP, LCOS ... ) are fixed pixel technologies. This means that each display is manufactured with a fixed number of pixels on the screen. Therefore, all signals that the display is capable of receiving and displaying will be converted (scaled) to the fixed resolution of the display's screen, whether that conversion be up or down. In the case of 1366 x 768p displays, these signals will all be converted to 1366 by 768 and displayed progressively. These displays, therefore, cannot display a 1080 signal as 1080 because they do not have that number of pixels on their screen surface.

If you want to be able to display a 1080i/p signal as 1080p, then you need to purchace a 1080p display. Such displays are just now becoming available and are rather expensive. However, you will not benefit from this technology (perceive the extra resolution) unless you view the display from a rather close distance. For a 50" display, I notice the difference when I get closer than say 8' where SDE begins to become apparent with 768p and so I need more pixels for a sharp picture.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap /forum/post/0

However, you will not benefit from this technology (perceive the extra resolution) unless you view the display from a rather close distance. For a 50" display, I notice the difference when I get closer than say 8' where SDE begins to become apparent with 768p and so I need more pixels for a sharp picture.

Thank you for the explanation. Would watching a 42 inch at 6/7 feet be noticable? I wonder because I tend to see the ghosting on an LCD while most others do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0s /forum/post/0

The other obvious question is how much worse was the ghosting with the LCD in the store than it was with the plasma. You might decide that the difference is small enough - especially at normal viewing distances - that it is worth putting up with in order not to have to watch your TV with the shutters down and lights off:) - DR

The difference is huge (to me). Even in low light, it was huge and we generally have the shutters turned down but there is still a lot of light that comes through.

Whp makes 120 hz LCD's? What would that equate to in ms?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
JVC and I believe Sharp currently have 120hz LCDs on the market. Most other companies will soon follow. Current LCD screens operater at 60hz. "The Clear Motion Drive sets the refresh rate at 120Hz, which means it's twice the refresh rate of the signal, at 60Hz. To make up the difference in frame rate, the technology inserts an interpolated image between two images so there's a smoother transition between frames. The result is less motion blur and ghosting."

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:

Thank you for the explanation. Would watching a 42 inch at 6/7 feet be noticable? I wonder because I tend to see the ghosting on an LCD while most others do not.

I have not been looking closely at 42" displays but a quick trip to a store will answer this for you. It is also important that you answer for yourself as each person's eyesight is different. Remember you are looking for SDE, the black screen door like matrix that the black stripes between the pixels appear as when viewed too closely. Ghosting is another issue altogether. I have not noticed on plasmas what others refer to as ghosting with LCDs.

BTW there are fewer pixels on a 42" display and so they may well be just as close/far apart as a 50". I also believe that 42" displays have rectangular rather than square pixels. All this is to say I don't know how close SDE sets in on a 42" display in comparison to 50" displays. Your eyes will tell you.

50" is the current sweet spot for plasma prices and I expect prices to continue to fall this year. If you can get a 50" rather than a 42", I believe you will be happer in the long run. As people here are fond of saying, displays shrink fast once you get them home. On the other hand, you are sitting close and I would rather have a quality 42" than a not so quality 50".

1080p will look great at 6' and even closer but is much $. Many more 1080p displays will be introduced later this year and prices will begin to fall but still they will be at a premium this year and probably next year as well.

Cheers,

Gary

remmeber ... "friends don't let friends but LCD"

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We went and did some browsing today and unfortunately, the 42 inch is too big....so the wife says. She won't have it.

Anyhow, the guy at one of the big chainaudio video stores said we won't be happy with the current LCD's on the market. He said they will be getting 120mhz next year sometime.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

We went and did some browsing today and unfortunately, the 42 inch is too big....so the wife says. She won't have it.(

That's what the wife always says
Get one in the house for about a week & it will no longer be too big. Fact of life

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2not /forum/post/0

That's what the wife always says
Get one in the house for about a week & it will no longer be too big. Fact of life

Get the 42", hang it on the wall, and tell her you found a 37". She will believe you because women always think it is shorter than it is!

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:

We went and did some browsing today and unfortunately, the 42 inch is too big....so the wife says. She won't have it.

Anyhow, the guy at one of the big chainaudio video stores said we won't be happy with the current LCD's on the market. He said they will be getting 120mhz next year sometime.

No Way! I sit at that distance and 42 inches seemed big to my wife as well. I can tell you it was only big the first time she used it
. Now she wants more

Remember this: The only thing that is definite about a woman is that she will definitely change her mind- and then blame you!

Don't go small you will be sorry!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.