AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dish 6000 with the OTA module. I live in Washington, DC. I am currently using a large 15 year old VHF/UHF Radio Shack antenna on a 10 foot mast. Unfortunately, I am in a two story residence, and immediately in front of the antenna, and between it and the DC broadcasting towers, is a row of three story buildings. I am not able to use a rotator, because the satellite dish is on the top of the same mast, with the antenna just below it.

The only signal I consistently get without drop-outs is PBS. CBS works OK on same days, other days it has pixelization, or it freezes, and tonight the stength is down to 55 with no picture at all. Signal strength on CBS ranges from 75 to 55. Below 70 I start losing the picture, and it is gone below 65.

(1) Is it possible that I have a defective OTA module? I've read reports of defective modules in this forum, but assume that is not my problem, since I can watch CBS fine on some days.

(2) My mast tips down slightly in the direction of the boradcast towers due to a sloping roof. Does that make a difference?

(3) What antenna would you recommend to pick up the UHF band DTV signals? I don't need VHF. Would an amplifier help? Should I get an omnidirectional or regular UHF?

If Channel Master, anyone have any recommendations for DC dealers? Since I have a 10 foot mast, I could use the largest 7 foot high UHF antenna, but the bottom would almost touch the roof, with the satellite dish on top of the mast.

(4) Finally, if I shift to a UHF-only antenna (I don't need to get VHF), will it also work for FM radio?

Thanks very much for any responses! I greatly appreciate your help!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.