AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to this so turning to the pros for help! I live in Charlotte NC (28278) and installing an antenna (dropping cable altogether). Thinking based on the results from Antennaweb that the CM4221 will work for me fine (although appreciate any comments - my info is below). My question is related to install - I have a locked time warner box on the back of my house and will continue to use TW for internet. How do I connect my antenna to the existing cabling throughout the house so that I have antenna reception on all the TV's being used? There appears to be one coax connection outside of the box that is not being used but can't tell if it is "in" our "out". Take it easy on me with responses - I'm new to terminology here!

My antennaweb results.

yellow - uhf WBTV-DT 3.1 CBS CHARLOTTE NC 336° 21.5 23

yellow - uhf WJZY-DT 46.1 CW BELMONT NC 340° 20.6 47

yellow - uhf WCNC-DT 36.1 NBC CHARLOTTE NC 336° 20.0 22

yellow - uhf WCCB-DT 18.1 FOX CHARLOTTE NC 57° 18.8 27

yellow - uhf WSOC-DT 9.1 ABC CHARLOTTE NC 59° 18.9 34

green - uhf WMYT-DT 55.1 MNT ROCK HIL SC 340° 20.6 39

red - uhf WMYT 55 MNT ROCK HILL SC 340° 20.6 55

red - uhf WAXN 64 IND KANNAPOLIS NC 59° 18.9 64

red - uhf WAXN-DT 64.1 IND KANNAPOLIS NC 59° 18.9 50

red - uhf WUNG 58 PBS CONCORD NC 56° 28.1 58

red - uhf WUNG-DT 58.1 PBS CONCORD NC 56° 28.1 44

red - uhf WTVI 42 PBS CHARLOTTE NC 58° 21.3 42

red - vhf WTVI-DT 42.1 PBS CHARLOTTE NC 58° 21.3 11

red - vhf WSOC 9 ABC CHARLOTTE NC 59° 18.9 9

red - uhf WCNC 36 NBC CHARLOTTE NC 337° 20.0 36

red - uhf WJZY 46 CW BELMONT NC 340° 20.6 46

red - vhf WBTV 3 CBS CHARLOTTE NC 336° 21.5 3

red - uhf WCCB 18 FOX CHARLOTTE NC 58° 18.6 18

red - uhf W52CW 52 TBN CHARLOTTE NC 65° 20.3 52

blue - uhf W38CN 38 TBN CHARLOTTE NC 336° 20.0 38

blue - uhf WNSC 30 PBS ROCK HILL SC 191° 17.8 30

blue - uhf WGTB-LP 28 FMN CHARLOTTE NC 38° 14.4 28

violet - uhf WNSC-DT 30.1 PBS ROCK HILL SC 191° 17.8 15

violet - vhf WFMY 2 CBS GREENSBORO NC 57° 84.0 2

violet - uhf WUNE 17 PBS LINVILLE NC 331° 82.1 17

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
You don't. At best, you have TWC run a single cable to your cable modem. Then, you could use the rest of the interior cabling for your OTA hookup. But under no circumstances are you to use the same piece of coax for both OTA and any cable services simultaeously.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller1971 /forum/post/12933883

Hi everyone. I'm new to this so turning to the pros for help! I live in Charlotte NC (28278) and installing an antenna (dropping cable altogether). Thinking based on the results from Antennaweb that the CM4221 will work for me fine (although appreciate any comments - my info is below). My question is related to install - I have a locked time warner box on the back of my house and will continue to use TW for internet. How do I connect my antenna to the existing cabling throughout the house so that I have antenna reception on all the TV's being used?

A little late responding, but as already posted, you can not share a coaxial cable with an active cable system and an antenna. Cable TV and broadcast TV share many of the same frequencies. You will need to run a dedicated co-axial RG-6 cable run for the antenna to the TVs.

Looking at the spread in directions to your local digital stations, the CM 4221 is a good choice. You have only 1 station, WTVI-DT PBS 42, on upper VHF 11, the rest are on UHF. Checking the post analog shutdown digital channel assignments, WTVI-DT will be the only station in the Charlotte market on upper VHF. I can get a digital station on VHF 12 with a CM 4221, so the CM 4221 can work for VHF 10 to 13. However, WTVI-DT is not a strong upper VHF station at 2.2 kW ( http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WTVI ).

Are you planning to put the antenna in the attic or outside? You will have to experiment with the aim because of the stations in 2 directions. I would start by aiming at both sets of stations and see what stations you get. One option if you can't get all the stations after trying different locations and antenna aims is to take off the backscreen to turn the Cm 4221 into a bi-directional stack of bowties. If you have a long cable run, you may need to add a pre-amp. Just in case you don't have this site bookmarked: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/erecting_antenna.html .

·
Registered
729 Posts
I read Dmiller's post the other day and wanted to respond, but being as I've lived rurally for many years I know zilch about TWC, their outside boxes, and very little about cable issues in general, I figured I'd let others respond. I finally decided to throw in my plugged-nickle thoughts...so take them for what they're worth.
It's the "...one coax connection outside of the box that is not being used..." statement has me curious.

I can understand why Dmiller would be interested in using the existing cable runs that are buried in the walls/ceilings/etc.,. Seems to me that it would be worth the effort to determine that there is or isn't a single network of coax inside the house of which the cable modem is part.

How could he go about doing this?

He could call the cable company to check it out for him but it might be a crapshoot as to when they would respond and what response he'd get from them. Maybe he could try something like connecting a patch coax-cable from the different jacks in the house to the modem/computer and see if the modem still works from each of the jacks. If he's got a laptop then it might even be more simple.

If the modem doesn't work at the other jacks then he would have to find where the feedpoint is for that network to connect the antenna coax to.

If the modem does work from the other jacks then it seems he'd need to find the junction box/splitter, determine which is the modem feed-in line and splice (barrel connector?) it to the coax branch going to the cable-modem jack. This would isolate the cable-modem coax from the rest of the network and allow him to hook his antenna coax at the connection where the cable-modem feed-in line was previously connected.

Of course, rather than feeding the network from a centralized junction/splitter the installers may have just branched off of a long run of coax..inserting a "T" where needed for jacks...in that case, well, all bets are off.

Just some thoughts so don't shoot me

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts