AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the dallas area about 50 miles from the stations.

Currently, I have a 20 year old Radio Shack VU 190 antenna with one element missing, a bunch of drooping elements, and all the connections rusted in place. I also have the dish 6000 unit an OTA module, and a BUD all hooked up through a maze of amplifiers and splitters going to 7 tv's. I get a great picture on analog and digital.

While at Radio Shack, I noticed the same antenna was on sale for 50 bucks. I bought it, installed it, and the picture was snowy and unacceptable. Wife was PO'ed big time. I put the old one back up on the same line and have the great picture back.

I checked all the grounding. Everything seems fine. The 2 antennas are identical except the new one has a bow-tie looking thingee and a couple of new short non-driven elements.

Can anyone give me a clue as to why the picture isn't at least as good?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just looked up the VU-190 on the Radio Shack website and that is a UHF/VHF high gain antenna. This antenna is very similar to the Channel Master 3020 which I am familiar with.

The "bow-tie thingy" is where you connect to the antenna. Be sure you connect to the correct two connectors. The short non-driven elements you mentioned are part of the UHF section. You need to make sure you extend the two UHF "corner reflector" elements which enclose the bow-tie. The VHF section is all behind the bow-tie and corner reflector and needs to be connected to the bow-tie. This is usually part of the antenna (rather than wire) and I have mostly observed that connection to be flat aluminum strips which may criss-cross between the VHF elements before they connect to the bow-tie. Be sure you verify that connection is in place. The connection at the bow-tie is 300 ohms impedance so you will need a "balun" transformer to convert to 75 ohms if you are using a cable connection.

I would expect your new antenna to perform at least as well as your old antenna so I think you did not make the proper connections with the new antenna.

Good luck.

DonP

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,

Thanks for the reply. I rechecked the connections and they are correct per the instructions. The bow-tie strips are swung to the side and the connections made over holes in the loose ends. They supplied the transformer that connects the 75 ohm connector to the 300 ohm leads. I even tried another transformer to make sure it was good. I also verified that all the driven elements are isolated from the main boom.

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just a note the RS 110 and 160 are on close out for $2.97 I bought all in this area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.