AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh man, it's always something. Just as my HT reno was about to start!

So I've been planning on killing reflections every way I can. This has included having a portion of the room ceiling dropped and covered with a yet-to-be-chosen fabric, to kill ceiling reflections.

I'd been intent on using fabric from a company named "Knoll" (I'm using their fabric on my walls) but out of nowhere the representative said she wouldn't recommend putting fabric on the ceiling or using their product like that.

And my contractor is scratching his head about how a fabric would be applied to a portion of the ceiling.

Now what? Is this really that unheard of? Haven't quite a number of folks here got fabric on the ceiling? I should say I'm not talking about the fast "tape/glue/staple up some black velvet" jobs; I'm talking about fabric that should look professionally done and aesthetically pleasing.

Perhaps GOM has a fabric that I can apply to the ceiling? (There will be lights inset on a portion of the ceiling too).

Anyone know how to achieve this? I'm in a hurry now as my contractor actually has time to start the job...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
BIG did a portion of his right above the screen in a semi-circle design. Came out very nice. Post #246 has a picture of it. If you are doing only certain portions of the ceiling I'd imagine that special cut fabric frames would look nice.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=683853&page=9

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,377 Posts
My recommendation is attach the fabric to manageable sized frames or rigid panels. I'm also assuming that you intend to have some acoustical insulation behind the fabric because fabric alone might not do the job you intend.

Trying to staple fabric to the ceiling and pulling it tight might be a literal pain in the neck.

I did have some luck stapling fabric to the ceiling to hide my rear surround speakers. I covered the staples with trim molding. As I recall, my neck hurt for a couple of days.

·
Registered
15,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far! Much obliged.

Hmmm...it looks like what I wanted isn't so easy to do after all. There a a number of companies that provide wall textiles. It's the "big thing" in design these days. I don't understand why it can't also be put on the ceiling!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,377 Posts
Bob Villa to the rescue. Here is a video on installing a fabric and sound insulation ceiling!!

http://video.bobvila.com/m/21320600/...ng-ceiling.htm

It looks like the secret is to use a fabric track system (there are many vendors) and a fabric that has some stretch.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Big always has the answer.... I watched the video and I think the secret is, besides using the track system is to use a light enough fabric so that it doesn't sag in the middle. The size of the room will also have something to do with how much (or little) sag there is. In a larger space, I assume you would have to break up the installation into sections... which could be visually interesting if you are creative.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
15,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much everyone! You've really come through with some helpful suggestions.

I got in touch with fabricmate and it may well be my answer. Otherwise, if I'm stuck painting the ceiling instead I'm told that Ralph Lauren "Suede" paints are pretty non-reflective.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I used Car lining material and their spray on adheasive. I found their material had the least light reflection of several I tried.

·
Registered
15,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update:

I talked to fabricmate and that is one option. Essentially I would treat my ceiling structure as a series of fabric covered panels.

Then my interior designer gave me the number of a very experienced guy (over 20 years doing walls/interiors/painting/fabric stuff) and he said not to worry, he can do the job, confident he can cover the portions of the ceiling with fabric as needed. Looks

like I'll go with this guy.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Prostar makes flocked paper with adhesive backing. They use it to absorb light in telescopes. It's expensive in small quantities, but if you buy it by the roll the price goes down significantly. It looks exactly like the "black hole" trim used on screen borders. You can order samples for like $2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts