AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here RECENTLY purchased a Denon 3803 (AVR-3803)? Or have a really good memory.)

I just purchased one from an AUTHORIZED dealer and am VERY suspicious of the packaging, and am worried this is a floor model, return, etc.

Can someone/anyone verify any of the following:
  1. What type of tape was used to seal the box? (Brown packaging, clear, etc)
  2. Did the remote-control LCD and/or the front panel of the unit have that clear film/plastic covering it?
  3. Was the manual packaged in a VERY thin plastic with the ends simply taped down?
  4. Same for the remote, although the bag was a little thicker?
  5. How was the reciever itself packaged? Mine is wrapped in that "white-styrofoamy" stuff with narrow brown masking tape "sealing" it.[/list=1] Also, the manual and remote were packaged togther in that same thin plastic taped bag, and then there is a strip of brown masking tape accross the middle of the bag, apparently top hold to the top of the receiver.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!! I really need to find out before I go back to the dealer with my suspicions. Thanks!

TIA!

-Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, it doesn't HAVE to be a 3803 ... pretty much any Denon receiver. I would think they would ALL be packaged the same, eh?

Obviously a 3803 purchaser would be ideal for an absolute comparison, but beggars can't be choosers. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just checked my box of the 3803, and it has brown ,shiney packing tape. Sorry I don't remember the details of the other packing stuff. I would suggest , if the machine is working properly, and no scratches, consider yourself lucky as you have a great reciever. I suppose you could still call the salesman and say you want a couple of hundred bucks back and see if it flies...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS for responding pkelley. I keep checking my email and refreshing the thread as I am kind of desperate to know. Do you happen to remember having to remove that clear film that is put over a lot of new electronic displays. It would have been on the remote's little LCD window and the entire display of the main unit.

I doubt the hundred bucks off will work, as I got him down into the low $900's to begin with after badgering him over a couple weeks. They would probably just replace it. I really need to install it tonight, and would hate to have to pull it out if I later find out it is not new. (Like on Monday, after calling Denon.)

-Tim

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't think mine had a plastic strip over the LCD display. I am not using the remote, and I never had any intention of using it. I would have definately left it on if there was one there unless I couldn't see through it. I am almost certain there wasn't one.

It came in a box with shiny brown tape. Also, there was a white thin foam wrap around the entire receiver. This was held with one strip of yellow masking tape. The corners of the receiver were surronded by thicker white foam. I don't have any plastic bags left in my box, but I am sure the remote and the instructions came in one. I don't remember if they came together or seperate.

Usually one the easiest ways to tell if a piece of electronics has been returned and resold is the batteries for the remote. Were yours wrapped in a clear shrink wrap?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Jamey ... sounds like maybe I'm just being paranoid then. The bottom was DEFINITELY opened though, but there could be a number of reasons for this I suppose.

The battery thing is never a tell-tale -- trust an elite repackager -- because it is extremely easy to shrink-wrap those, OR they may have never been used before, etc.

Thanks again for the detailed response!

-Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

Seemed pretty dust free inside where the electronics were, I might add. However, there is a lip on the front of the unit where (after shining a flashlight) there was a thin layer of dust. It's in a spot someone would not think of wiping.

The flashlight also revealed what appear to be fingerprints, in places I don't BELIEVE I have touched, but can not say with a certainty unfortunately.

Turning it on, everything seemed to be "ZERO'D OUT", but I'm sure that wouldn't be hard to do.

-Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh-heh. Well, normally I wouldn't have even given it a second thought. But as a "bottom-of-the-box opener", when I noticed that the box had DEFINITELY been opened and re-taped with clear-plastic packaging tape, I became VERY suspicious.

·
Registered
622 Posts
if it had fingerprints you don't think were yours, you could dust the unit, and track down who the prints belong too *sarcasm* :)

did you buy it locally? If you think you got a used unit, take it back.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The crime lab just left, and will do an NCIC search for me by tomorrow. I should have the results late Tuesday. ;)

Yes. Just wanted to avoid the hassle/embarrasment if I'm barking up the wrong tree. And need to install the receiver over the weekend.

-Tim

·
Registered
126 Posts
Timoteo-- "I doubt the hundred bucks off will work, as I got him down into the low $900's to begin with after badgering him over a couple weeks. "

As you got a new 3803,(or even if it was previously opened) with a full manufacturers warranty from an authorized dealer for the low $900's ,I'd consider myself lucky and enjoy your receiver.

Usually, to get that price range, you would have normally had to buy it from an online e-tailer, not an authorized dealer you can look to should you ever have any problems.

Again, I'd consider myself "happy" at that price.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timoteo
The bottom was DEFINITELY opened though, but there could be a number of reasons for this I suppose.

-Tim
Interesting. My box also had the bottom opened and closed with clear tape. I am pretty sure these were opened before. I specifically told the guy to give me a factory fresh box. I couldn't check all the details as my 5-year old was hounding me to pick him up. I am exchanging for a new one later on this week. I will also call Denon to ask how they pack the receivers. I have never seen a flimsy shiny brown tape used by any electronics manufacturer before.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
I'd consider myself lucky and enjoy your receiver.
I don't consider it luck at all ... just put in the time and told myself I wouldn't buy the receiver until it was closer to my original budget. IOW, I badgered the hell out of the sales guy. ;)

I took mine back yesterday and got a factory sealed box for peace of mind. Packaging was essentially the same (EDIT: internally) ... but, as the old saying goes, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'll post a review in my other thread on the 3803, but suffice it so say I am BLOWN AWAY.

-Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
I spoke to Denon and asked about their packaging. They did confirm that they use a shiny brown tape to seal their boxes. If there is a clear tape on top of it, then it must hae been opened in the past.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Timoteo,

what other thread is it that you're posting your review?

I'd like to take a look as I'm interested in the unit.

thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks odba, that's what I thought and why I took it back. The new one I picked up was brown tape only. Internally, the packgaging was identical though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brentski:

I'll probably be posting a NEW thread with the review ... most likely later tonight or sometime tomorrow when I have a chance.

In the meantime you can check out THIS THREAD where I rose the question of the Yamaha vs. the Denon.

Take care,

Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
timoteo,

I am getting Aperion 5.1 with 10" sub. I need to connect those to Denon 3803. Any suggestions on the speaker wires and subwoofer cable to buy? Thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not an expert on cables, and I've always felt that "super-duper-high-quality" cables were over-hyped, and basically a bold-faced lie. Would I use simple lamp wire from the hardware store? No, probably not, just because it would bother me psychologically to know I was using lamp wire.

I didn't go totally cheap, but went convenient ... I went to Best Buy and bought a spool of 16-gauge Acoustic Research cable and made my own lengths. I also bought a 25 foot Monster sub-woofer cable (my sub is in the back of the room), which seems like a really decent cable.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong. Hope that helps.

-Tim

PS> Component cables are a slightly different story ... but not much of one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.