AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I need your expertise. I am looking for a new DVD player, and I have a set list of things I need from it, but nothing good out there seems to fit the bill.

Here are my requirements:
  • Cadence (not flag) reading Progressive scan
  • Decent motion-adaptive video progressive mode
  • Scaling for both native 4:3 and non-anamorphic widescreen
  • DVD-Audio support
  • No chroma upsample error
  • Less than $400

I'm only aware of the Mitsubishi 8040, but I've been told that it has substandard build quality and severe high frequency roll-off. Also, I'm aware of the Denon 5900, but that's just not in the budget.

One thing I don't need is a DVI based player (I have a Mits TV), which is what everyone seems to be hot for now.

Are there any other players (even older models) that I have missed? Thanks in advance.

-Lyle J.P.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Denon DVD-1600 available at Crutchfield for $329 (less if you search for $20 off coupons). Its better than the Mitsubishi which has a softer image (lower high frequency response) and the color flicker issue. The Denon has top quality DVd-audio and the excellent Faroujda de-interlacer plus the chroma-bug-free Pansonic MPEG decoder.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Denon DVD-5900 is the only player I know of that meets all of your feature criteria and it lists for $2K. You have a tall order you want filled, you'll have to cough up some more dough ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me try to make this easier. If I drop DVD Audio support, are there players that satisfy my needs then? For example, assuming I could get my hands on a Phillips 963A for

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but does it have scaling? Scaling is a critical feature for me here.
As I think you already can guess, the 1600 does not scale.

BGL

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have an answer to my second question (in post #5)? If I forgo the need for DVD-A, will the Philips (or any other $400 player) do what I need it to do?

Thanks again in advance.

-Lyle J.P.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
If your concern is for a 1.33x zoom, then try the Mitsubishi DD-8040, its zoom doesn't have any icons left on the screen after a few seconds. True its not as sharp as the Denon DVD-1600, but its a tradeoff you have to decide what is most important to you the zoom features or the higher picture quality, unfortunately there isn't one model thats best with both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.