AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had no continuous success with the ATI AIW 8500/HDTV YPbPr Dongle Looped Thru accessDTV?

I can get the ATI 8500/HDTV YPbPr Dongle to work DIRECTLY off the video card into my Toshiba 65HX81 RPTV at 854X480.

However, if I need to reboot, I MUST switch the YPbPr Dongle over to the VGA/DVI output of the ATI AAIW 8500 and THEN manually move it back to the accessDTV output and connect the accessDTV Loop Thru CAble to the ATI AIW VGA Output once the system SEES the dongle.

Only then can I toggle between Full Screen HD from the accessDTV and the Windows XP Desktop.

Any ideas?

I tried putting accessDTV in the startup group to see if that would help. It did not.

I tries using Powerstrip in the startup as well, but no benefit there either.

(The Key Digital Transcoder has even more variables to deal with: such as sceen centering problems and one mode only; VGA or HD)

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Murray,

My HTPC is out of the rack and on the desk this week while I make some internal changes so I can't check for you directly. From memory, I've been able to use the ATI dongle connected to my Hipix card with with video sent via the loopback cable connected however I havent tried to view the Hipix card with this configuration. I had planned on just directly sending the YPrPb output from the Hipix to one input on the display and then sending the ATI HD adapter to another. If I could send the Hipix output through the ATI dongle that would be great as that would mean just a single input to the display and allow HD video in a window but I dont think it will work. About the only thing I can think of trying is to change the output of your HD card from VGA to YPrPb.

Rick

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can get the ATI 8500/HDTV YPbPr Dongle to work DIRECTLY off the video card into my Toshiba 65HX81 RPTV at 854X480.

Then, I manually move it back to the accessDTV output and connect the accessDTV Loop Thru CAble to the ATI AIW VGA Output once the system SEES the dongle.

Then I CAN toggle ONE INPUT between Full Screen HD from the accessDTV and the Windows XP Desktop.

Again, if I then need to reboot, I MUST switch the YPbPr Dongle over to the VGA/DVI output of the ATI AAIW 8500 and THEN manually move it back to the accessDTV output and connect the accessDTV Loop Thru CAble to the ATI AIW VGA Output once the system SEES the dongle.

ANy ideas?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
until I can plug it in this weekend I don't have an immediate suggestion.

Is connecting the ADTV card to one input on your display and the ATI dongle to another input an option?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As with everyone, my YPbPr Inputs are at a premium.

Denon 4802 has only three (3) switchable HD/Digital Audio input sets.

My RPTV has two (2).

That's a total of four (4).

I have DVD, Dish 5000 HD/Panny DST-50/HD-1000, Diret DTC-100, and the HTPC.

So, yeah, switcvhing an input I reeally don't have to check the Virtual Remote (since accessDTV has no OSD) is a stretch.

Besides, that's what eh loop thru feature is for, keyboard toggling between desktop and fullscreen HD.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, for only $150.00 in associated breakout cables, gender benders and dongles, you too can run YPbPr out of an ATI 8500DV through the ATI HDTV Dongle then looped back into the accessDTV VGA input and then out the accessDTV VGA outputs with it's software set to YPbPr to a HDTV component video input!

It does work.

It even reboots without objections.

It is first seen by the RPTV as 480i and then once windows fully loads as 480P (856X480).

So, bring on the soon to be released accessDTV enhanced software and drivers.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you sending a YPbPr signal through the loopback into the AccessDTV card, with the AccessDTV in component mode, then using a VGA to RCA breakout cable to go to the HDTV set?

I tried this by making a custom cable that allowed me to put my transcoder in the loopback so I could send only the desktop thru the transcoder and use AccessDTV in component mode (I don't have the dongle). For some reason this caused a lot of interference in the AccessDTV's signal (rapidly scrolling diagonal lines) that I couldn't get rid of, so I gave up on the idea. I think the sync signal was interfering somehow.

Any ideas how I can make this work without interference? How should I connect the transcoder's RCA outputs to the loopback input to avoid this problem?

- Dave

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For $29, buy the ATI Dongle direct from ATI's web site and lose the transcoder altogether.

ATI out to dongle

Dongle out connects to VGA breakout cable with BNC to RCA connectors

VGA end of breakout cable connects to female to female DB15 gender changer

gender changer connects to ADTV Loopback cable

ADTV VGA out (with software set to YPbPr) connects to ANOTHER VGA breakout cable with BNC to RCA connectors to HDTV's component video inputs.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the following issues and questions about the ATI dongle:

- It only allows limited resolutions. With my transcoder I can use ANY HD compatible resolution (480p, 540p, 720p, 960i, 1080i, 1440i), with any pixel aspect ratio, and any amount of underscan. I don't want to lose this capability. Can I use Powerstrip with the dongle, and if so, can I use any amount of underscan and any pixel aspect ratio, have control over centering (front/back porch), and what resolution modes work (I have heard only 480p, 720p and 1080i)?

- Will it work with my 3D LCD shutter glasses dongle?

- Can I work around the 480p DVD playback limitation?

- It seems to allow interlaced overlays, which is a plus. Is this true?

- I'm thinking of getting a Radeon 9700 soon. Will it work with that too?

I have a feeling that if I get the dongle I'll find myself wanting to switch between using it and the transcoder depending on what I'm doing. Is there an easy way to do this without rebooting and without changing the wiring on the back of the computer every time? If not it will drive me crazy and I'll end up abandoning the dongle.

Does the dongle do anything but act like a breakout cable for YPbPr signals that are present on the video signal output pins, and signal the video card that it's present so YPbPr output and HD resolution are enabled by the driver? If so, then it should theoretically be possible to signal the card to output YPbPr instead of RGB at any resolution and timing. It would be great if PowerStrip or another utility could be made to force YPbPr output at any time, giving me the flexibility I'm looking for. I don't suppose there's a registry setting for this? Any thoughts?

- Dave

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which transcoder do you have?

Which monitor do you have?

- It only allows limited resolutions. With my transcoder I can use ANY HD compatible resolution (480p, 540p, 720p, 960i, 1080i, 1440i), with any pixel aspect ratio, and any amount of underscan. I don't want to lose this capability. Can I use Powerstrip with the dongle, and if so, can I use any amount of underscan and any pixel aspect ratio, have control over centering (front/back porch), and what resolution modes work (I have heard only 480p, 720p and 1080i)?

Powerstrip DOES work with the dongle BUT not every variable and resolution is acceptable to the ATI card.

- Will it work with my 3D LCD shutter glasses dongle?

I have no idea.

- Can I work around the 480p DVD playback limitation?

There are some programs that make that supposedly easy. Search.

- It seems to allow interlaced overlays, which is a plus. Is this true?

Yes, I believe it is.

- I'm thinking of getting a Radeon 9700 soon. Will it work with that too?

Yes, I believe the HDTV Dongle has been certified for teh 9000 & 9700.

I have a feeling that if I get the dongle I'll find myself wanting to switch between using it and the transcoder depending on what I'm doing. Is there an easy way to do this without rebooting and without changing the wiring on the back of the computer every time? If not it will drive me crazy and I'll end up abandoning the dongle.

Yes, until I wired this up "backwards" in YPbPr mode I was not happy at the prospect of being a cable shuffler.

Does the dongle do anything but act like a breakout cable for YPbPr signals that are present on the video signal output pins, and signal the video card that it's present so YPbPr output and HD resolution are enabled by the driver? If so, then it should theoretically be possible to signal the card to output YPbPr instead of RGB at any resolution and timing. It would be great if PowerStrip or another utility could be made to force YPbPr output at any time, giving me the flexibility I'm looking for. I don't suppose there's a registry setting for this? Any thoughts?

I do not know if any of that is possible.

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dave77
I have the following issues and questions about the ATI dongle:

- It only allows limited resolutions. With my transcoder I can use ANY HD compatible resolution (480p, 540p, 720p, 960i, 1080i, 1440i), with any pixel aspect ratio, and any amount of underscan.
Dave,

While you may be able to run interlaced resolutions with your transcoder, overlays, ie DVD playback, do not work with the most recent catalyst drivers. Until ATI fixes their drivers for interlaced overlay support, the HD component adapter is the only option for interlaced DVD playback short of using the famous 7093 drivers.

Murray,

Job well done! Now I need to get some more cables :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman
Which transcoder do you have?

Which monitor do you have?
I have the Audio Authority 9A60 transcoder. I have also tried the Key Digital unit to try to eliminate wavy lines at the top of my screen but it couldn't fix that in auto mode and I switch resolutions a lot. I assume the dongle wouldn't have such a problem.

I have a Panasonic PT-56WXF95 RPTV that can do all HD compatible modes native.
Quote:
Originally posted by mkerdman
Yes, until I wired this up "backwards" in YPbPr mode I was not happy at the prospect of being a cable shuffler.
Are you referring to the setup you described above, and saying that it does allow you to switch between the transcoder and dongle on the fly?

I have a regular Radeon 8500, not the DV, but it does have a DVI connector as well as the VGA. From what I understand, there is both a DVI and VGA version of the dongle. If I get the DVI version and connect it using the loopback as you described and connect the VGA out to the transcoder to another input on the set will that let me switch between them on the fly?

What is the other VGA break out cable (the one that comes out of the dongle) used for in your setup? Wouldn't it have the same signal on it that the AccessDTV would pass thru when not in fullscreen mode?

I guess I'm still confused about exactly how the dongle can be used and how your setup works. If you could elaborate on it that would be a great help.

Thanks,

- Dave

RTK,

I'm aware of the interlaced overlay problem, and I'm not holding my breath for ATI to fix it, which is one compelling reason to use the dongle if I can make it work well in my system. Another way around this may be to use VMR9, but I'm still not clear if it will work on the 8500 under Win2K (with DX9) or if I'll need the 9700, plus I'm not clear on what software will support VMR9.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I hope recording reliability is improved with the new software and drivers. So far, the most recent beta has been less reliable that version 2.4.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
After some of the usual ATI HD driver issues, I have successfully rewired my HTPC with Murray's double breakout cable method. One thing that I can suggest is to reinstall the catalyst drivers after you have everything connected as that solved my issues of the virtual desktop being displayed at 1080i.

Dscaler, DVD playback and Hipix all at 1080i via a single output, life is good :)

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"solved my issues of the virtual desktop being displayed at 1080i"

RTK,

When I select 1920X1080i the Desktop comes up very much stretched and in "virtual" mode so that all icons and taskbars are well off the screen of my Toshiba 65" 16X9 RPTV.

Probably useable for DVD Playback ony.

Is that your experiance, or does your monitor display it differently?

I am far less interested in DVD playback from HTPC as opposed to accessDTV HDTV, Slink-E Sony 400 Disc Changer control and other PC functions such as e-0mail, browsing etc.

Accordingly, after trying 960X540, 704X480, and others, I have settled for 848X480P which with a little tweek from Poerstrip, pans only a little from left to right.

It is a comprimise for desktop navigation, but, just fine for anamorphic DVD.

The problem however is all the dialog boxes, browser windows etc are oversized like 640X480 would be. Useable, but far from optimum.

I have reduced the size of everythng except fonts, but, the oversized elements and alot of scroling are part of the bargain.

CDJ control software using Slink-E dialogs are my worst navigational problem.

Any ideas there?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I leave my output on 1776x1000i which is the overscan resolution of 1080i supported with the ATI dongle. The "panning" that you are experiencing at 1980i is the wonderful ATI virtual desktop. By reinstalling the catalyst drivers (with everything connected) you should be able to use all of the supported ATI dongle resolutions (and overscan versions) without the virtual desktop. unfortunately, you cannot create custom resolutions with powerstrip as they will just result in virtual desktops with the panning that you are experienceing.

If you arent interested in 1080i output, I would suggest sticking with a traanscoder. The lack of customizable resolutions, limited resolutions and flexibility make a transcoder a better choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.