AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all knowledgeble audio folks i was hoping for some help deciding what 5.1 system to buy.

I will probably use it mostly for movies 70% and music 30%.

The room im going to use is 6.5m wide and 5.3m deep and 2.6m high ,walls are wood.

I liked the Bower and wilkins cm serie and the monitor audio rx serie and would like your opinions on these options.

Monitor audio

RX6 ,RXcenter,RXw12,RX1 2190£

RX8 ,RXcenter,RXw12,RX1 2440£

Bower and Wilkins

CM8 ,CM5,asw10CM,CMCenter2 3670£

CM9 ,CM5,asw10CM,CMcenter2 4220£

A few thoughts on

B&W PV1 instead of asw10 ?

B&W cm1 instead of cm5 ?

Currently i dont own a receiver so i will get that to match the speakers when i decide what speakers to use

Oh and i will use hdmi from computer to reciever and then hdmi to a projector that will be bought aswell so expensive month

All help,tips,option changes to any of these systems is really appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Personally, I prefer the MAs over B&Ws. But I think your best bet is to just keep listening to them and see which one you ultimately prefer.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkill /forum/post/19614370

callas01

Do you use them in a 5.1 or 2.0 setup ?

Listening to them is hard the bw shop is almost 200km from where i live .

I have heard the MAs a couple times, but don't own them. I have heard the CMs a few times also, my dad has had some older 603 S2 for about 12 yrs, they are both nice speakers, but I personally like the MAs a little more.

I listened to both before I bought Dynaudios.... If that tells you anything.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkill /forum/post/19613647

Hello all knowledgeble audio folks i was hoping for some help deciding what 5.1 system to buy.

I will probably use it mostly for movies 70% and music 30%.

The room im going to use is 6.5m wide and 5.3m deep and 2.6m high ,walls are wood.

I liked the Bower and wilkins cm serie and the monitor audio rx serie and would like your opinions on these options.

Monitor audio

RX6 ,RXcenter,RXw12,RX1 2190£

RX8 ,RXcenter,RXw12,RX1 2440£

Bower and Wilkins

CM8 ,CM5,asw10CM,CMCenter2 3670£

CM9 ,CM5,asw10CM,CMcenter2 4220£

A few thoughts on

B&W PV1 instead of asw10 ?

B&W cm1 instead of cm5 ?

Currently i dont own a receiver so i will get that to match the speakers when i decide what speakers to use

Oh and i will use hdmi from computer to reciever and then hdmi to a projector that will be bought aswell so expensive month

All help,tips,option changes to any of these systems is really appreciated!!!

These are two of my favorites in the sub 2K floorstanding category. For a system prioritized towards music I have a slight preference for the B&W's, for HT/music mix I think MA's are the better choice. Look into Dali's Ikon series for speakers that sound similar to the CM's but are priced closer to the RX's.

I wouldn't get either of those subwoofers - not that they are bad (I have no idea) but you are paying for brand when there is no need to match sub to mains.

Good luck!

Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the nice input Ron.

i will use it mostly for HT and if the RX are better as such and much cheaper to boot then that sounds like a good deal to me .

Should i go RX6 or RX8 for my room as HT setup ?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Personally, I greatly prefer the b&w CM series over anything from monitor audio. That being said, if you like both equally, the monitor audio is obviously a better value with much lower prices (almost half)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/19616695

Personally, I greatly prefer the b&w CM series over anything from monitor audio. That being said, if you like both equally, the monitor audio is obviously a better value with much lower prices (almost half)

Just curious, have you heard their Gold or Platinum series?

Ron

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick /forum/post/19618486

ronaldo- yes, i've heard the gold but not the platinum.

merkill- i don't know that I could put my finger on it but I tend to prefer a laid back sound and monitor audio is not that!

I heard them on low end Marantz reveivers. They were cold, dry, harsh, flat, and bright. The speakers looked very well made. I blamed the electronics. Maybe it was the speakers.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/19614599

I wouldn't get either of those subwoofers - not that they are bad (I have no idea) but you are paying for brand when there is no need to match sub to mains.

So many people do this. My boss just overpaid for a bottom of the line 10" Paradigm sub just because he likes his Paradigm mains. He asked my opinion first, I gave him several worthy options. Human nature, gotta feed that confirmation bias.

He brags that he saved 60 clams off of retail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Almost decided on the monitor audio system but have yet to listen to the b&w cm line i might do that during the week.

Now the problem of picking a receiver or receiver+amp hmm and that seems harder want to get it right the first time and not have to ad stuff later.

Mailed monitor audio about it but got no reply and that put me off monitor audio a bit , after all if they cant give you advice about what equipment to use with their product ....

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkill /forum/post/19648616

I just ordered

Pioneer sc-lx83

and

Monitor Audio RX8 ,RXcenter,RXw12,RXFX.

Actually, I'm considering a very similar setup (Pioneer + RX8). How do you like your new gear so far? What do you think about the RX8?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.