AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)Hi guys ....

So I am at stage where my baby girl is about to start crawling and all my equipment is fragile to falls. My receiver is on a floor level and easy to reach. My Sierra-1 NRT speakers are bookshelves standing on a stand that can easily be tipped over. My sub .... $1,000 worth can be poked even through the cover.

basically ... how do you guys (those that have small kids) avoid the unfortunate incidents?

thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I mean I can always buy a tower speakers, right? :)

bump

·
Registered
337 Posts
My grandson just turned one and I have the music playing when he comes and a couple of no's when he got close and so far he doesn't touch. Now with that said I watch him very close... I think he knows that grandpa doesn't want him touching... My main speakers are inwalls so just center, sub and receiver within reach.

You will be busy...

·
Registered
485 Posts
My friend, I just went through this with my son who just turned three. I used to have my equipment in an open rack design (i.e., wood structure with glass shelves, no doors). Before he was born I bought a Salamander Synergy system with three cabinets with doors. Then, I checked into locks for the doors. $25.00 per lock and it would require me to drill into the wood - not going there. So, I tied the doors shut with a very long piece of yarn. The system is operated by remote so the doors don't need to be opened anyway unless I'm playing a blu-ray. For speakers I have an M&K S150 set + an MX350 sub. The speakers are mounted to M&K brackets attached to plumbing pipe which is attached to 55 pound M&K bases. So, no risk of speakers falling on him. Essentially, I laid out a rule early on that there should never, ever be hard toys or sharp objective near the sofa area (where my gear is). Perhaps I got lucky but my little guy has no interest whatsoever in my speakers or gear. He LOVES to watch TV (a 60" Elite LED) and has not yet thrown anything or made me worry about it. there are other electronics throughout the house and he seems very careful with everything. It's sort of cute actually - he now knows how to insert a disc into his PS3 (we stream Netflix for him on it and watch movies) and he's very gentle when doing so.

In your situation, I'd honestly be more worried about the speakers falling on to the baby vs. your speakers being hurt. You can always buy new speakers if they are damaged. What been harder for me is not being able to enjoy my primary system as much (the Elite + M&Ks) and being forced to my secondary system in the basement whose physical design makes it hard to place speakers optimally (my TV MUST be in the corner). I've learned to enjoy it but really miss my system

Hot tip: if you have in-laws like mine who have no idea how to properly operate equipment, (1) get a Harmony remote and (2) make sure you set volume limits on your system so they don't over-drive it.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24533736

So I am at stage where my baby girl is about to start crawling and all my equipment is fragile to falls. My receiver is on a floor level and easy to reach. My Sierra-1 NRT speakers are bookshelves standing on a stand that can easily be tipped over. My sub .... $1,000 worth can be poked even through the cover.

basically ... how do you guys (those that have small kids) avoid the unfortunate incidents?

thanks

You can try something like this.

Reactions: Hookedonc4

·
Registered
225 Posts
I built some stands. I designed them specifically to stand up to the explorations of a toddler. MDF, 2x4 and filled to the brim with sand.

Reactions: jaeelarr

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24533736

My receiver is on a floor level and easy to reach.
Put it on a shelf.
Quote:
My Sierra-1 NRT speakers are bookshelves standing on a stand that can easily be tipped over
Wall mount them.
Quote:
My sub .... $1,000 worth can be poked even through the cover.
Put a grille on it, using the same grille cloth as used on instrument amps.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnders0n  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24535573

Birth control would have prevented this from ever becoming an issue for you.
Too bad your parents didn't take that advice. Though I'm sure they felt that way often.

Anyway, with kids, assume the worst. Anything you can think of can happen, and a lot of stuff you didn't think of. Don't imagine that you can train them to behave, it works with some kids and not for others. And other kids will be in your house, too. Even if it goes fine with your first kid, and you think you're a genius parent/audiophile, if you have a second kid s/he'll be completely different and quickly teach you that you were just lucky the first time through.

So cabinets and wall mounting. While it may violate the rules of audiophile setup - can you turn the grille on the sub to face the wall or the side of a sofa?

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
It's impossible to predict what your kid will be drawn to. What I did was put everything in a cabinet and all my speakers were either floorstanding in a spot where they can't fall on anyone or wall mounted.

It's all moot anyway since going forward all you'll be listening to is SpongeBob and Dora.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Pianist718, why did you post this exact same thread at audioholics?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedonc4  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24533828

My grandson just turned one and I have the music playing when he comes and a couple of no's when he got close and so far he doesn't touch. Now with that said I watch him very close... I think he knows that grandpa doesn't want him touching... My main speakers are inwalls so just center, sub and receiver within reach.

You will be busy...

:) yea, I try to be on top of all that come close to speakers but you know how it is. I am not always home and my wife, even though understand that I may have a heart attack if speakers fall, especially on the baby, still can't be guarding speaking every second of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24533881

My friend, I just went through this with my son who just turned three. I used to have my equipment in an open rack design (i.e., wood structure with glass shelves, no doors). Before he was born I bought a Salamander Synergy system with three cabinets with doors. Then, I checked into locks for the doors. $25.00 per lock and it would require me to drill into the wood - not going there. So, I tied the doors shut with a very long piece of yarn. The system is operated by remote so the doors don't need to be opened anyway unless I'm playing a blu-ray. For speakers I have an M&K S150 set + an MX350 sub. The speakers are mounted to M&K brackets attached to plumbing pipe which is attached to 55 pound M&K bases. So, no risk of speakers falling on him. Essentially, I laid out a rule early on that there should never, ever be hard toys or sharp objective near the sofa area (where my gear is). Perhaps I got lucky but my little guy has no interest whatsoever in my speakers or gear. He LOVES to watch TV (a 60" Elite LED) and has not yet thrown anything or made me worry about it. there are other electronics throughout the house and he seems very careful with everything. It's sort of cute actually - he now knows how to insert a disc into his PS3 (we stream Netflix for him on it and watch movies) and he's very gentle when doing so.

In your situation, I'd honestly be more worried about the speakers falling on to the baby vs. your speakers being hurt. You can always buy new speakers if they are damaged. What been harder for me is not being able to enjoy my primary system as much (the Elite + M&Ks) and being forced to my secondary system in the basement whose physical design makes it hard to place speakers optimally (my TV MUST be in the corner). I've learned to enjoy it but really miss my system

Hot tip: if you have in-laws like mine who have no idea how to properly operate equipment, (1) get a Harmony remote and (2) make sure you set volume limits on your system so they don't over-drive it.

Good point about the hard toys being thrown into a TV. I was waiting for a moment when my 8 year old plasma stops working to give me a reason for an upgrade :) maybe it'll happen soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24534086

You can try something like this.

that's a 3rd of my living room :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devotech  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24534102

I built some stands. I designed them specifically to stand up to the explorations of a toddler. MDF, 2x4 and filled to the brim with sand.

My stands are not as wide, though I think you can pour sand into them

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24534143

Move all your audio gear to a dedicated "dads only" room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnders0n  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24535573

Birth control would have prevented this from ever becoming an issue for you.

:) cute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24535712

Too bad your parents didn't take that advice. Though I'm sure they felt that way often.

Anyway, with kids, assume the worst. Anything you can think of can happen, and a lot of stuff you didn't think of. Don't imagine that you can train them to behave, it works with some kids and not for others. And other kids will be in your house, too. Even if it goes fine with your first kid, and you think you're a genius parent/audiophile, if you have a second kid s/he'll be completely different and quickly teach you that you were just lucky the first time through.

So cabinets and wall mounting. While it may violate the rules of audiophile setup - can you turn the grille on the sub to face the wall or the side of a sofa?

Yea, wife had a friend with a 2 yr old kid ... that cake got on top of my center ch speaker in a matter of seconds. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24535714

It's impossible to predict what your kid will be drawn to. What I did was put everything in a cabinet and all my speakers were either floorstanding in a spot where they can't fall on anyone or wall mounted.

It's all moot anyway since going forward all you'll be listening to is SpongeBob and Dora.

haha, I know right? I have already noticed that I no longer watch movies at volumes where my sub really kicks in. What's next? :)

I was thinking of upgrading or switching out for floor standing speakers, BUT .... will it really be impossible to flip over a floor standing speaker? I mean I always needed a reason to spend that extra $1,000 to upgrade to Sierra Towers :)

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:

thanks

Soon as they touch my equipement they go up for adoption...problem solved.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Congrats on the baby - being a dad is awesome.

I have a 4 yr old and a 15 month old… both are very, very ACTIVE and touch EVERYTHING. My boy (4) knows not to touch 'Daddy’s toys'. My girl (15 mo.) knows now too. Toddlers are like puppies - you need to tell them ‘no’ and redirect their attention. When my girl would touch the equipment we would say ‘NO’, pick her up and move her back. You’ll probably have to do that for a few months but they’ll eventually get it, and wipe off loads of fingerprints in the process. We also supervise them… My boy I’m not too worried about now, but we always have an eye on my girl.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
This post brings back bad memories.

At the time I had B&W 802D's with the diamond tweeters.

For reasons I can't fathom the tweeter grill would come off if you looked at it wrong.

My then 4 year old son comes running in to my office;

"Dad I pushed this big big button and it turned into silver stuff!"

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_  /t/1524432/help-babys-coming-how-do-i-protect-my-3-000-speakers#post_24535712

While it may violate the rules of audiophile setup - can you turn the grille on the sub to face the wall or the side of a sofa?
It doesn't violate the rules of physics, because subwoofer radiation is omni-directional. I'd have suggested that as well but if the sub amp is mounted on the rear of the sub that would expose it to little fingers. Down-firing is ideal, if you want to make a change of subs.
Quote:
I was thinking of upgrading or switching out for floor standing speakers,
There's nothing to be gained in so doing when you have subs handling the low end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts