AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I've been trying to figure out if my new home theater system has enough power for these bass shakers I'm buying. Please, whoever knows a lot about home theater system that can help me out, that would be great!

Here's the link to the Sony DAV-HDX589W that I bought
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

I saw this really cool gadget called bass shakers on Amazon, and I was wondering if my receiver has enough power from the sub in order to power up these bass shakers.

Here's the link to the bass shaker
http://www.amazon.com/Aura-Sound-Pro...7507763&sr=1-1

If anyone can explain to me if these bass shakers will work with my receiver, that would be great! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You'll need an external amplifier to run those bass shakers. Unfortunately that sony doesn't have the required rca output connection for it to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM /forum/post/18234404

You'll need an external amplifier to run those bass shakers. Unfortunately that sony doesn't have the required rca output connection for it to work.

I thought about the external amplifier. I was thinking about buying something like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-2x75W-Ste...7566194&sr=8-2

But can I direct my power to the sub power? When you say that Sony doesn't have the right rca output. Can't I connect the bass shakers to my sub with speaker wires?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King08 /forum/post/18236644

I thought about the external amplifier. I was thinking about buying something like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-2x75W-Ste...7566194&sr=8-2

But can I direct my power to the sub power? When you say that Sony doesn't have the right rca output. Can't I connect the bass shakers to my sub with speaker wires?

There are no direct RCA audio outputs on the reciever you have? Thats want you need.

you might be able to use the from componet. I can't seem to find a good picture of the rear of your unit to verify it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18237250

There are no direct RCA audio outputs on the reciever you have? Thats want you need.

you might be able to use the from componet. I can't seem to find a good picture of the rear of your unit to verify it

Oh, I'm actually going to use this guy's model of how I'm going to set this up
http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/re...s-shaker-pros/

I just gotta find a cheap receiver to have the bass shakers run separately from the main receiver.

Does that model look like it will work for me?

Again, thank you so much for reading my questions.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King08 /forum/post/18237380

Oh, I'm actually going to use this guy's model of how I'm going to set this up
http://moesrealm.com/home-theater/re...s-shaker-pros/

I just gotta find a cheap receiver to have the bass shakers run separately from the main receiver.

Does that model look like it will work for me?

Again, thank you so much for reading my questions.

First you need to make sure your reciever has an "RCA Audio Output"

If you do not have it, it will NOT work!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18237456

First you need to make sure your reciever has an "RCA Audio Output"

If you do not have it, it will NOT work!!!!!

Sorry I'm not sure of all of the RCA audio outputs, but my outputs are headphone jack, HDMI, and speaker terminals. Are any of those considered RCA?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

You will need one 'red and white' audio output on your sony "reciever" and then you will run an RCA to RCA cable to the pyle amp RCA input which will you send speaker wire to the speakers

I'll be honest though, if i have to explain this stuff to you, you are not qualified to take on this installation. Besides I don't think the Sony 589 has the freatures you need. If you had a real reciever you would be better off

EDIT: your system does NOT support RCA audio out! you can not used any external amp. Your system will NOT allow for adding these. I suggest you return your system to get one with a REAL reciever

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18237585

EDIT: your system does NOT support RCA audio out! you can not used any external amp. Your system will NOT allow for adding these. I suggest you return your system to get one with a REAL reciever

Little harsh don't you think rob? If his system suits his needs that's fine. He just won't be able to add shakers like he had hoped to.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM /forum/post/18238144

Little harsh don't you think rob? If his system suits his needs that's fine. He just won't be able to add shakers like he had hoped to.

Have you taken apart the 589 and seen the speakers that are included? They are just single 2" paper cone driver in the front speakers. The thing doesn't offer what the guy wants so if possible I would return it for something better that does.

the guy wants upgradability and the 589 doesn't offer it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18237585

You will need one 'red and white' audio output on your sony "reciever" and then you will run an RCA to RCA cable to the pyle amp RCA input which will you send speaker wire to the speakers

I'll be honest though, if i have to explain this stuff to you, you are not qualified to take on this installation. Besides I don't think the Sony 589 has the freatures you need. If you had a real reciever you would be better off

Are you sure I can't just get an HDMI to RCA adapter..?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18238358

nope sorry

Hey Rob,

Not to question you methodology or how you concluded that this system wont work with bass shakers, but I found out a solution and please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would get a speaker wire to RCA adapter going out of the sub out receiver and into the amp. The rest I don't need to explain since the main problem I had was not being able to connect the receiver to amp. Don't you think this connection would work? Since my amp has a frequency knob, I don't need a cross over cable too right?

I am very new to the home theater world (thus why I bought a box). You telling me to get a real receiver doesn't help me much :/. The system satisfies my needs very well and I just wanted to add some bass shakers.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King08 /forum/post/18286681

Hey Rob,

Not to question you methodology or how you concluded that this system wont work with bass shakers, but I found out a solution and please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would get a speaker wire to RCA adapter going out of the sub out receiver and into the amp. The rest I don't need to explain since the main problem I had was not being able to connect the receiver to amp. Don't you think this connection would work? Since my amp has a frequency knob, I don't need a cross over cable too right?

I am very new to the home theater world (thus why I bought a box). You telling me to get a real receiver doesn't help me much :/. The system satisfies my needs very well and I just wanted to add some bass shakers.

Go ahead and try it. I am just telling you that if you want to run this proposed set-up properly you need an RCA audio output from the reciever which you don't have. Also last time I checked your reciever and the purposed amp you are looking as does NOT have frequency knob. Your "reciever" has internal crossovers set speficially for the speakers you has and it is built not to play well with others. The Pyle amp doesn't have a frequency knob just bass, treble and volume.

Good luck, if i knew 100% there to be a method around to make this work but there isn't. Maybe I am not a fan of jury rigging stuff specifically deals with electronics cause it never ends up good

You will only have one sided audio when you hook up to the speaker wire to RCA adapter so you can going to possibly need another additional adapater to change the pyle's input to just one RCA input so you can get audio from 2 bass shakers.

And with all the trouble you are going through and extra money spent you could have sold your current set-up and purchased something that more easily fit your needs.

For when you are purchasing something in the future account for possible upgrades and you'll save your time and frustation in the long run. a 5.1 reciever could easily meet my needs but I spend 50 more dollars for the a 7.1 to save me future frustration when I do upgrade. If your needs involved adding some bass shakers this setup will NOT meet your needs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18287032

Go ahead and try it. I am just telling you that if you want to run this proposed set-up properly you need an RCA audio output from the reciever which you don't have. Also last time I checked your reciever and the purposed amp you are looking as does NOT have frequency knob all it has is internal cross overs set specifically for the speakers it came with, it will not play well with others.

Good luck, if i knew 100% there to be a method around to make this work but there isn't. Maybe I am not a fan of jury rigging stuff specifically deals with electronics cause it never ends up good

And with all the trouble you are going through and extra money spent you could have sold your current set-up and purchased something that more easily fit your needs.

For when you are purchasing something in the future account for possible upgrades and you'll save your time and frustation in the long run. a 5.1 reciever could easily meet my needs but I spend 50 more dollars for the a 7.1 to save me future frustration when I do upgrade

Thank you so much for the tip.

I was also mistaken when I read the amplifier specs.

If the amp's sole purpose is to power these bass shakers, do I still need a crossover cable?

I promise this is the last question. Thank you again.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King08 /forum/post/18287114

Thank you so much for the tip.

I was also mistaken when I read the amplifier specs.

If the amp's sole purpose is to power these bass shakers, do I still need a crossover cable?

I promise this is the last question. Thank you again.

Personally I am not even sure where you should begin. I have never heard of a crossover cable unless it dealt with Ethernet cables. My thoughts are that the only audio sent to the subwoofer from your reciever is the lower end bass so a crossover shouldn't be needed, i think

Good luck as someone new to home theaters and first inclination was to purchase a all the one HTIB which offered no room for future upgrades not at least one that comes with a reciever it will be interesting to see how this project will turn out.

BTWs i am pretty sure this will void the warranty on Sony so hope it doesn't break it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Why not solve all your problems easily with a Buttkicker kit? It's more expensive, but the quality and output (dare I say far) exceeds the shakers. The BKA300 kit comes with an amp (300w rms), it's wireless between seating and receiver, and has multiple hookup capability.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectEF /forum/post/18310101

Why not solve all your problems easily with a Buttkicker kit? It's more expensive, but the quality and output (dare I say far) exceeds the shakers. The BKA300 kit comes with an amp (300w rms), it's wireless between seating and receiver, and has multiple hookup capability.

First he needs a reciever that will except an external or additional amp

·
Registered
293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18310401

First he needs a reciever that will except an external or additional amp

Not in this case. The amp and transducer in the kit are self contained, they don't have any interaction or hookup with the receiver if using the wireless add on. He would simply have to use the included speaker level adapter in order to feed a signal to the wireless transmitter, and then to the amp. No line level out needed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts