AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I had read that BeAll DVD-R 1x were compatible with Pannys but my stack of 50 will not even read in my E80. Says - Non readable disc when I load them, they are silver top, purple bottom, bought them from meritline.com... bummer.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
That's not good. I also bought a 50-pack from Meritline a while ago, but haven't tried them on my E80 yet. I'll do so tonight.

BTW, are yours the 1x or 4x kind? Mine are 1x.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm on my second 50 pack (both from meritline). Most were recorded on an E30. I've done about 6 or so on my E80. No failures yet.

There were threads over at dvdrhelp a month or so ago that talked about counterfeit BeAlls.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought these direct from meritline, the BeAll brand label. Maybe I should call them, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Usually the Panasonics will produce a U11 error with a media flaw. However, a non-readable disc error is a little more suspicious. Just a wild hunch, but they didn't accidentally send you DVD+R media by mistake?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How can you tell? The paper label on the spindle says BeAll DVD-R. There are no obvious labels on the disks.

I called meritline 'tech support'. English was not his first language and he kept asking me firmware number, type of burner. I told him 5 times that is is not a computer DVD burner. He's seemed to never have heard of the popular Panny standalones. It was useless. Geez.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gigaguy
How can you tell? The paper label on the spindle says BeAll DVD-R. There are no obvious labels on the disks.
Sometimes manufacturers etch a very tiny ID on the disc. It often resides on the write(purple)side of the disc, either on the inside or outside portion of the hub ring. It might be something like "DVD-RXXXXXX". You might have to really squint to see it.

If that fails, you might have to hook up with someone who has a burner that handles + media and check the ID info.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I see the numbers on the discs. I got meritline to take a return. But with the shipping I'm out over $30. I had also bought 50 DVD cases.

THey were not aware of any Panny recorder except the old E20.

I'm sticking to name brands, not worth the hassle. I got a good deal on 2 packs of 50 DVD-R Fujis today at Best Buy. They were $26 off plus a $9 mail-in rebate, plus one pack was a returned opened one so I got them to lower it another $8. So it was about $60 for the opened stack of $50.

No more BeAlls or off brands for me, not worth it. I guess I came out about even.

Meritline was nice to take the return, they said maybe I got a bad batch, who knows?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.