AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30x18 foot room, viewing approx 20ft back.

I have been reading TONS over the last few days and saw a few projectors at demo rooms and can't decide!

is the sanyo PLV-60 at $6100 worth it? especially when the Sony VPL-VW10HT is such a good deal now?? (around $4100 after rebate!) I would like to order one in the next day or so...any advice would be great... this is driving me crazy!

-J

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am in the same boat except that I ruled out the Sony due to it low brightness old technology??.

I saw the VPL-VW10HT on display at Tweeters and I have to admit it looked spectacular even with all the spotlights they had in the room on. The source was a DVD but I do not know what what type of connection they were using. The salesman did not know what kind of screen it was either, but the colors and brightness were amazing.

I looked very closely for the screen door effect and could barely notice it until I got about 8 ft. away from the 100" 16:9 screen.

I am currently considering one of the two Sanyo models, the XP21N or the PLV-60. My only worry is the screen door effect as discussed in this forum, if it is anything like the Sony I would not hesitate to get one. Unfortunately I have not seen one to compare it to the Sony.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I am in the same boat. I almost stole the Seleco HT250 on the AVS auction, but was outbid. My pick for the under $6k category is the Sanyo XP-18N, which can be had for about $4900. Identical unit as the XP-21N except with 2000 lumens instead of 2500 lumens. More than enough for a home theater application.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand the problems with the plv-60... I guess that I am just wondering how many of those problems are due to lack of proper setup and calibration vs. out of the box performance. I was quite impressed when I say the SONY 10HT, and figure the Sanyo, with the sharpness and contrast set right, should be better, especially since the reviews are so good. but is it $2000 better than the sony?

The Sanyo xp18 is definaly a consideration.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Acutally, the Sanyo XP-18N does not have Micro Lens Array like the XP-21N. Although this is said to reduce the screen door effect on the 21N, many reviews on this forum state that it is still pretty visable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btw i didn't notice any screen door effect on a tweaked sony 10ht at all, about 15 feet away from 100" screen. my setup would be 15-20 feet away from 10 foot screen.

I am getting a good video card for a htpc that should help the picture shouldn't it?

-Jeffrey

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HOWDAH:
Acutally, the Sanyo XP-18N does not have Micro Lens Array like the XP-21N. Although this is said to reduce the screen door effect on the 21N, many reviews on this forum state that it is still pretty visable.
The only thing the MLA does is increase the brightness. The review in ProjectorCentral claims this added brightness helped reduced the screen door effect. This gets stated over and over again, but this is not gospel, and there is no idication how that conclusion was reached. Did they have them side by side or was this from memory and under different conditions?

[This message has been edited by Jonmx (edited 06-17-2001).]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, my vote would be for the Sony 10HT.

I've spent TONS of time the past 2 months reading as much as I could get my hands on and have looked at most of these boxes first-hand now.

The Sanyo is WAY too "grainy" for me..and the colors have a red/purple twinge. PLUS, it sounds like dust is WORSE on the PLV-60 than the 10HT.

For the money, I really don't think you can go wrong with a 10HT - esp. after it's been properly calibrated ala Cushman/Munsilization technique. (And now it sounds like there's even more tweaks over on thebigpicturedvd board!).

I've looked at the 10HT "non-calibrated/tweaked" and it looked very good all in all. Plus, it's the best (and one of the ONLY native 16:9 LCD boxes out right now!)

I really can't see an extra $2K for the Sanyo for no (to me) benefit.

Personally, I may wait for the 11HT to see if that is a big enough bump up..but if Sony is inflexible on the price, I'll pick up a 10HT for < $5K as this is the Street Price on that box right now. (Hard to justify an extra $3K for the 11HT unless it is UNBELIEVABLY better [I think it won't be]).

BTW - I found that much of what you read here and on the other boards is from TRUE "videophiles" - guys that hook up color spectrometers and other "toys" to measure picture quality, etc. If you're a regular "commoner" like me, don't get too pulled into all this - go with what looks good to YOU and don't fall for the "need the absolute top, TOP end" riff you will undoubtedly hear from sales types.

Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
isn't dust a problem with any projector? I keep my stuff pretty clean, and will ceiling mount it with a air purifier nearby if need be.

Also, has anyone seen a PLV-60 other than at show? maybe the grainyness is due to screen or calibration?

looks like the Sony is a good pick so far.... especially at around 4k. Not interested in spending 8k no matter how good the new ones are. Just not that big of a priority.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jstolzen:

I really can't see an extra $2K for the Sanyo for no (to me) benefit.
Depends what Sanyo you are talking about. The XP-18N can be picked up for under $5K, is brighter and has better contrast than the Sony. I don't think it has some of the problems the PLV-60 seems to be having.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Howdah- Yeah, I am talking about the HTPC upgradability. The LT150 is cheap enough, that you can sell it in a year or two and not take the loss that you would on the Sanyo or Selecos. The zoom version is nice, but we are talking October and pricier I expect...I want movies now http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Upshot- You can find authorized 10HTs for 4500, less 300 rebate, so much cheaper than 5k. I saw it, and think by going the HTPC route, I will have an overall better picture. I took a friend to the Sony store, and saw noticable pixelization that really bothered me...admittedly they probably don't have it set up perfectly, but I will take the high contrast of the NEC over the 16:9 capability any day. Plus, using a scalar with the Sony isn't very easy...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
any recommended online dealers? Im thinking about trying the sanyo vlp-60 and want a decent dealer with a reasonable return policy. I did the dealer search on projectorcentral.com and found some decent ones.... any to stay away from?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Upside,

Try http://www.medicalvideosystems.com/default.htm for the Sanyo PLV-60, They have it listed for $6,800 but would probably go down to $6,600. The are a little higher than the rest but they have a 2 week money back guarantee no questions asked and no restocking fees.

I have not purchased anything from them but I am relaying information I have read, so take it for what it is worth.

Peter

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I was going to get the Sanyo, but after all the dust problems, purple shift, etc...i think it is best to hold off on this one until they iron out the issues.

Now, as i don't see the rainbow, I might buy an LT150 and avs HTPC for the same price...much more upgradability. I already have a Pannie on order, so 16:9 isn't a biggie right now.

I also am considering the Selecos...but pricy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Keith R,

I am seriously considering the LT150 with an HTPC as well. When you say "upgradability," are you referring to the HTPC or does the LT150 offer some ugrades as well? Also, you probably know this, but NEC is now offering the LT150X that comes with a zoom lense.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Another vote for 10ht.

It is cheap, quiet, it is native 16X9, easy to use, and has a great user community who have tweaked the hell out of it, and you can get it now. Does it have CRT black level quality? No. Can you Improve the black levels and contrast via tweaks and a gray screen, you betcha. If the screen door bothers you just defocus slightly. This does not affect the picture quality if you keep it at at the sub pixel level. Might the plv-60 be a better projector? I don't know but I would love to see a review or shootout done with these project tuned by people who know how to set them up.

Good luck on your choice.

Brian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i just bought the sanyo for $6600 from medical video systems. a little more than some places but they have the best return policy. arrives in two days, thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

i just decided to make a decision and there will ALWAYS be something right around the corner that looks better, but if its like the pc industry I might as well jump in because that will never end.

thanks again, ill let you know what i think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.