1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 55" RPTV
http://www.continentaltrade.com/samhc55inwid.html

With this DVD

The DVD-P421 combines the superb video fidelity of Samsung's new 3:2 pull down progressive scan circuitry with essential DVD features to create a specialized solution for DVD enthusiasts that put the priority on performance. The flexible component video outputs can be set the NTSC standard 480i mode for connection to analog televisions, or the superb progressive scan 480P mode for use with the latest Digital Television displays that offer these superior connections.

Connected via component video. 480P

Im a newbie so here's the question. Is this the best way to hook this dvd up for max resolution? The tv is HDTV ready also 1080i how can I achieve 1080 on all my sources?

Any Good midrange HT receiver /setup recommendations?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
657 Posts
480p is the best that you're going to get out of DVD. The only sources that you'll be able to watch in 1080i are the HD ones that originate that way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mattman,

So if I have digital cable, and it only has RCA hookups, no s-vid or component-vid, I will have to buy an HDTV Converter? If that's the case which one would you recommend that's not too pricey?

dc

·
Registered
657 Posts
You can still hokk it up just using the RCA jacks but if you want to improve the picture you can always try a scaler like the IScan Pro

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
DC, you should call your cable company and see if you can get an updated cable box. I have done this before and was able to at least get an s-video output and optical for the audio for the few channels that were broadcasting in Dolby Digital. As far as HD goes, if you buy a converter otherwise known as a Set-Top-Box, or STB, you can add an antenna and possibly get some of the over-the-air broadcasts, but if your cable company does not broadcast any HD signals you wont get anything through there. Where are you located? You can go to www.antennaweb.org and use their antenna locating chart where you put your address in and it will let you know what signals are being broadcast in your area for over-the-air. My friends have been surprised as to what they can get. If you have the HD ability, you have to use it!!

If your cable company does not broadcast HD signals, you can switch to DirecTV or Dish Network. With DirecTV and a multi-axis dish with a STB, you can get HDnet ( www.hd.net ), HBO-HD and Showtime HD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.