AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my video/tv tuner in my PC.

I would prefer to keep the tuner and video card separate. But if a combo has superior tuner capability I would take it.

What is the best TV tuner card out there?

- Hauppauge 250/350 (why would I get the 350 if I need no FM?)

- FlyVideo3000

- ATI AIW 9700

Any others?

Which one offers the best image quality both live and recorded/timeshift?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The PVR-250 has exceptional video quality and uses minimal CPU resources when recording. I can't tell a quality difference between the PVR-250 and my TiVo (that's now used as a doorstop since building my HTPC). It's a nice benefit using hardware encoding to record 24/7 in the background.

It also depends on how you want to use the TV tuner card. Do you plan on having it run around the clock and ready for timeshifting at any time? If so I would avoid the AIW because it will use too much power. Can't speak for the Fly Video card though.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Updarte from what card? Maybe all you need is some software updating.

-- - FlyVideo3000 - ATI AIW 9700 ---

May I suggest the Hauppauge Model 401 with FM Radio and Remote? I am using it with ShowShifter and a Dscaler DirectShow plugin to double the frame rate and deinterlace the picture.

The FlyVideo, AIW and Hauppauge are in no way comparible to the PVR card. The PVR card is in a league of it's own in that not much software will work with it -- WinTV (don't waste your time), Sage (as has already been mentioned by it's author) and WinXP Media Center (which you are not supposed to get without a new PC) is about all you can run on a PVR card.

With a BT-878A based card, you can run at least 6 different programs and maybe more.

I can't tell you about picture quality between the double frame rate/deinterlaced picture and the PVR since nobody that actually can compare the two, has done so and posted the results here.

I can tell you that I have worked with people that thought they needed a new card, but really only needed some help and they have been pleased with the results.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Timeshifting and tivo style functionality are key. I want to use the card to output to a projector (through a DVI video card).

There were some posts regarding some recording issues with fast moving objects in the image. Is there any difference between the cards?

Is there any HD/analog combo with analog features comparable to the 250?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
e vey,

I have currently a Matrox 450etv. The drivers simply never work good.

e.g. I wonder how many owners got timeshift to work. No programming guide integration. There is no WDM driver...

How do cards work with tv audio signals encoded in 5.1 (e.g. some HBO)?

My PC is hooked up to a receiver. Will the receiver be able to decode the audio to 5.1?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've heard that on the low end, the Asus TV tuner card works well. One of my coworkers has one running and it looked pretty impressive to me compared to my Winfast XP2000. He also commented that the drivers were fairly solid in general, but he was only using it in a simple configuration; he was not trying to integrate it with any exotic PVR packages. It might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
This might be a heretic suggestion, but how about an HD card like to soon to come fusion-II. This offers all the features of a BT8x8 cards (Dscaler, software based encoding, WDM drivers), plus the ability to record and view OTA HDTV).

The annouced price is around $200 (without a remote), so it ain't too cheap (although it is compared to the other HD cards). This also probably means that they had a bigger budget for the tuner....

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
re: Matrox 450etv. Sorry. I can't help you there. I checked the usual WDM sources, IUVCR and Btwincap and it isn't there.

I am looking hard at the Fusion II as well.

http://cinefx.com/fusionII.htm

My next card will be HDTV.

--This offers all the features of a BT8x8 cards (Dscaler, software based encoding, WDM drivers)--

Eifel, are you sure about that? I don't think anyone knows that for certain. I see:

--Dvico¡'s own tuner driver-- On that page under Drivers and it makes me wonder. It is often cheaper to hardwire drivers to a particular app rather than follow any standards (such as they are) for DirectShow.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
e vey,

I am using a Fusion-I, and it works with dScaler no problem (can't get any sound without an external connection, but I'm new to dScaler). Some Korean website (read Hangul?) indicates that the F-II card works with D-scaler as well.

The F-I card also works fine with JRiver's Media Center in analog mode (I'm assuming this is because its drivers are WDM compliant, etc.). I can use this application to time shift, do instant replays without problem, and using their defaut settings (Sound works with MC, which leads me to believe that it will too with dScaler, if I look at it carefully)

I don't have any other analog capture program, as my interest is in HD.

---

metropole,

the Fusion-I (and reportedly -II) can timeshift analog TV (at least with MC9.0). Currently the bundled software doesn't let you timeshift digital HDTV (recording is no problem)... and I don't know if they'll ever add this feature or not...

DxVA VGAs are cards which can do some of the MPEG2 decoding in hardware. All the radeon cards I know of (Including my LE flashed to '7200') have this feature, some other cards do too as well (but not all, so be careful).

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'll throw in my 2 cents on the setups I've tried...

PCTV card w Showshifter (pinnacle software was crap at the time I tried it)

-------------------------------

Good Timeshifting quality w mjpeg codec, lots of space (9gig/hr), low CPU

To archive shows requires recompression or reduced resolution like 320x240

TV tuner quality of pctv card was better than AIW, not as good as pvr250

S-Video input quality better than aiw

SS has DVD, Music (limited), CD, video library

TV friendly UI

Can be setup for remote control and ir blaster

Semi-integrated EPG is available by subscribing to Digiguide

Can use Dscaler for deinterlacing

AIW

-----

Decent timeshifting quality, hi cpu, decent filesize (2gig/hr), low audio vol

Good feature set, DVD, CD, video library

No TV friendly UI (supposedly added in next release of MMC software)

Noisest TV Tuner and S-video input of the three cards

Slick Remote wonder remote control

No IR blaster support (that I could find at the time, may have changed)

Gemstar EPG at the time did not support DirecTV

ATI Deinterlacer was pretty good

PVR250 w SageTV

-----------------------

TV Tuner quality of the pvr250 is cleanest of the 3 I've tried

Encodes video to mpeg2 prior to display so livetv is lower quality than AIW or PCTV

Best timeshifted quality w lo cpu and good file size (2gig/hr)

DVD compliant mpg2 capture

Remote controllable

IR blaster functionality available

Nicely integrated EPG and PVR scheduling functionality

No support for wdm analog capture (i.e. you can only do mpeg2)

Nice TV friendly UI

Various Deinterlacers supported, Dscaler, DVD decoder, etc.

Strictly TV, no multi-media

There are folks who are saying the pvr250 encoding is not good on high-motion sports content. I had problems with this earlier, I don't recall seeing it lately... but I have yet to run A/B tests.

Al

·
Registered
240 Posts
1) I gathered from the forum that the hauppage PVR 250 gives the best quality in outputting + RECORDING cable and TV

Can I confirm that ..

2) Since it has a good hardware encoder card , I believe that capturing abilities,

Say recording of VHS source, cable TV is ON PAR WITH what the canopus ADV 1394 has to offer

3) Any others that the Canopus 1394 has to offer besides the firewire .capturing .( I hope the p4pe asus motherboard would be able to match the canopus in terms of capturing ability ??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.