AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,375 Posts
I agree with your mother. 86 the Tarzan motif unless it is attracting a lot of Janes. But since this is under your parents watchful eye I don't see that happening too often.

Go with an urban loft decor instead. What is your planned Grad School major? If it is botany, nevermind.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyattic87 /forum/post/18202046

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this wonderful forum and this is my first thread. I just graduated from college and moved back in with my parents and currently taking a year or two off before going to a local grad school so I decided to transform my room into a place I can relax, study, enjoy movies, and so on. So I cleared things out of my room and added a desk and a bed. Then a futon. Next some exercising equipment. And yea, I think I will leave the pics to show the rest.

Get a job or go back to school now, otherwise you will end up living at home until you are 40.

Quote:
Maybe something from Indiana Jones? Jumanji? Anything?

How about ditching the theme altogether. Themes are for dedicated theaters, not bedrooms.

Quote:
As stated before, it will mostly be for me, that is why there is the weight set there. And my desk. And the bed. So it wouldn't be your typical home theater with half a dozen seats or an entertainment room with a pool table etc.

Thanks a bunch!

Don't waste your money. Save it for your first place on your own.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
For some inspiration and ideas, check out this hgtv pig pen/loft transformation:

http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/hip-l...res/index.html

Otherwise, I'll take a pitcher of Mai-Tais (no ice), a large glass of ice and, if the music is good, keep 'em coming

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/18202438

86 the Tarzan motif unless it is attracting a lot of Janes. But since this is under your parents watchful eye I don't see that happening too often.

That's why you should work on sound isolation FIRST. Priorities!

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw12117 /forum/post/18204064

I award this the thread of the day

Seriously my man; I don't think anyone wants to be cruel or discouraging, but what do you want us to say here? That room is already a bedroom, slash office, slash gym, slash tropical hideaway; do you really think you can squeeze slash Home Theater in there too?

I mean, if you're really serious, our first advice...as it always is, whether it's a messy bedroom, messy Attic, or messy Basement...is clean-up first; it's impossible to work or envision any kind of plans in such a space. But I'm with another poster; if you really only plan to be there a year...and that's a great goal to have...it's a waste to try and do too much HT-wise with this space. Take your year, enjoy your big-screen TV...get back to school or a job, and save the HT for your first place.

CD

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Totally agree with CDLehner. Enjoy that tv for another year, save up some cash and when you have your own place, have at it!!

Don't worry. We'll all still be here after you graduate to help you build your dream theater. Helping other folks spend their hard-earned money is what we do best

If you really need to do something now, I would suggest looking for a good deal on a HTIB. Otherwise, just use the tv as-is and focus on grad school.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer one of the question above I plan on getting a masters or Ed.S in school psychology.

I seriously appreciate all of your responses. I would be here until at least the fall of 2011. Whether I decide to get my own place when school begin is still up in the air. My dream home theater will be here years from now. I don't think I can wait that long. I considered this as a fun project to do on the side and for someone my age, I think this is all I can do. I realize that it is a mess and seek help and advice from well experienced posters like you guys. I don't think I can just call it quits here as it looks unfinished. I consider this as practice for future dream home theater. I probably should have just kept it simple. But I think it's too late, might as well do what I can to complete it right?

·
Registered
27,415 Posts
Napalm the room... and then start things up. Looks like 10 lbs of sh!t in a 5 lb bag!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyattic87 /forum/post/18202046

This was originally the den, but turned into my room. It's about 12'x22'. I made it crowded in there so I decided to disguise the crowded feeling by going with a jungle/rain forest theme. Now I want to add a home theater system so now I'm feeling I am doing too much with the room.

Yeah, too much. The jungle stuff just adds to the clutter rather than disguising it. Start by clearing out the jungle stuff and any small clutter. Leave just the main stuff like the bed, desk, and futon. From there you will probably have a better feel for how you can fit it all together and it will help us. Fortunately the room is actually a decent size, its just way too cluttered at the moment.

Posting up a floor plan would probably be helpful too, also do you have a closet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
honestly seems like something cosmo kramer would do..

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/18206121

Napalm the room... and then start things up. Looks like 10 lbs of sh!t in a 5 lb bag!

Sorry it's at my main man's expense, but I love it!

CD

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I agree with another poster about the HTIB solution given your circumstances. Even if you cannot afford to buy much and do not want to ditch the Tarzan thing (though my suggestion would be to get as far away as possible from that) you could at least spend your time cleaning the joint up. With no work and no school you likely have a bunch of free time available. Plus, that will certainly help with any unwanted reflections.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slypr /forum/post/18206536

Yeah, too much. The jungle stuff just adds to the clutter rather than disguising it. Start by clearing out the jungle stuff and any small clutter. Leave just the main stuff like the bed, desk, and futon. From there you will probably have a better feel for how you can fit it all together and it will help us. Fortunately the room is actually a decent size, its just way too cluttered at the moment.

Posting up a floor plan would probably be helpful too, also do you have a closet?

Thanks, I was actually thinking of moving out the bed and replacing it with the futon in the couch form. I could then place a twin size bed in the original place of the futon. There is no closet. I will work on the floor plan. And by jungle stuff, are you referring to just the silk plants? or actually the whole bamboo hut? If you are referring to the whole thing, I'm afraid I can't as I invested a good chunk of time, work, and money and would hate to see it all come down just like that. I would prefer to just find a way to make it work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendvd2 /forum/post/18206632

I agree with another poster about the HTIB solution given your circumstances. Even if you cannot afford to buy much and do not want to ditch the Tarzan thing (though my suggestion would be to get as far away as possible from that) you could at least spend your time cleaning the joint up. With no work and no school you likely have a bunch of free time available. Plus, that will certainly help with any unwanted reflections.

Thanks, I'm still working on the tree and everything will be cleared out as much as possible. I'm new to the whole home theater setup and searching around a lot for good deals on equipment.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyattic87 /forum/post/18206992

Thanks, I was actually thinking of moving out the bed and replacing it with the futon in the couch form. I could then place a twin size bed in the original place of the futon. There is no closet. I will work on the floor plan. And by jungle stuff, are you referring to just the silk plants? or actually the whole bamboo hut? If you are referring to the whole thing, I'm afraid I can't as I invested a good chunk of time, work, and money and would hate to see it all come down just like that. I would prefer to just find a way to make it work.

I'm pretty sure the suggestion of ditching the jungle stuff included the hut. But I can see that it's near and dear to your heart, so you might be better off trying to pull of a Tiki Bar look rather than a theater. Although I found this

You could go with a sleeper sofa

Or....ditch the theater idea and try to pull off a Tiki Hut/Sports Bar

Or...if you can convince your parents to put a boat in the room

You could have a boat on the beach next to your tiki bar

The sky is the limit, but as I said before, a cheap HTIB and a piggy bank for your grad school fund is probably the best way to go.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts