AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Pioneer VSX-520-K at Best Buy today. I've been needing a new receiver for quite sometime. My previous one was a 7 year old HTIB Kenwood. I got the Pioneer home and set everything up and my speakers have never sounded better. The only problem is that now my sub is severely lacking. When I had it hooked up to the Kenwood I barely had to crank the bass and it would shake the room. Now with the Pioneer I have the bass cranked and I can't feel it much. I've gone through the receiver's menu and messed with the settings but nothing seems to help. I have the sub hooked up with just a generic coaxial cable. When I had it hooked up to the Kenwood I was running it with speaker wire connected to the front speakers. I'm not sure if this is the problem?

Also, I have my PS3 hooked up to it for Blu-rays. Whenever I play them the DTS-HD symbol isn't showing up on the receiver so I assume it's no decoding it. I have the PS3 set to HDMI for audio. Any help on this?

Here's my receiver and sub...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...iver&cp=1&lp=6

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+1...ofer&cp=1&lp=1

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I will assume your sub has it's own amp, even though you had speaker level wires going to it.

The main settings to think about are -

* Sub's level control (make sure it's high enough so that the receiver's auto setup can properly set the level in the receiver without being too low or too high)

* Sub's crossover (should be set to highest number, or turned off)

* Receiver's bass management crossover setting - set to 80zh for starters

As for the PS3, the old PS3's did not bitstream lossless. They decode it internally and send it as PCM. In this case, the receiver won't display TrueHD or DTS, as it has no idea what the original stream was. This is how my PS3 works, and it's fine.

If you have a newer (slim) PS3, then you need to turn on bitstream output.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Michael. I set the crossover frequency to its max and set the receiver to 80 and that solved the problem. Thanks!

I have the slim PS3 and turned bitstream on. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I also have the same problem. The only difference is that I have a aiwa sub instead of a sony. I put all the setting in that order and the little amount of bass that was coming out of the amp before is no longer working. All the wires are run through the floor and to run a new one would take some effort. Please let me know what to do.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts