Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Scott,

Just got off the phone with DVDO - they told me that the iScan can't do what I need. Their squeeze function only deals with image width. Actually what I need is something that scales the entire image, height and width, down to fit my screen. I read on your site that you're able to do this with the projector's zoom. That would be cool - unfortunately, my projector is about 17' from the screen and is already close to maximum zoom, so I'm only able to make the image a little smaller - not enough to fit the height of my screen.

I may look into the PC route. Any other ideas?

------------------
Roberts Family Theater

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
My NEC LT150 allows me to pick "native" resolution which shrink entire image to fit on 16:9 screen. Does NEC VT540 have this feature? If so it may be cheaper than an external scaler. Picture will be better too as image is smaller and not blown up or scaled.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I think the DVDO will work if you are willing to have black or grey bars on the sides of the 4:3 content, thus maintaining the correct aspect ratio of the 4:3 content. This the DVDO CAN do. What it cannot do is crop the top or bottom of the image to fill the 16:9 screen while keeping image geometry correct. I think the DVDO is the cheapest option, there's not much else you can do to a 4:3 image, except that smart stretch feature that some HDTV's have built in, but I don't think there are any scalers that do that.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I have a VT540 and a 4:3 screen. I think you are making a mistake to use a screen aspect ratio that does not match your projector aspect ratio, because you will have the same problem every time you add another video source.

I'll get a 16:9 screen when I add the anamorphic lens and not until then. Meanwhile I use variable masking for my variable height, constant width setup. It's not an ideal solution but it's one that easily accomodates all source aspect ratios.

Gary

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK all you geniuses (I mean that), I need help. I’m using an NEC VT540 projector, which uses a 4:3 panel, with a 16:9 ratio screen. My only source right now is my JVC DVD player. I’ve told the DVD player (in its menu) that the display is native 16:9. This way wide-screen movies fit the width of the screen and everything else – menus, the DVD extras, 4:3 movies – fits the height of my screen with gray bars on the sides. Otherwise I would end up with the image fitting the width of the screen and the top and bottom of the image being above and below the screen whenever I try to view 4:3 material. OK, so far, so good.

I bought a JVC S-VHS VCR the other day, mainly for it’s tuner, so that I can occasionally watch broadcast cable down in the theater. How do I scale the height of the image to fit my 16:9 screen? Would a DVDO iScan Pro do this? Is there some inexpensive solution to this? Are there any VCR’s that would allow me to set their output to a 16:9 screen like I do with my DVD player?

Thanks,

David Roberts

PS: I’ve updated my HT web site with new pictures and an equipment schematic. Here’s a request: I would love to see the schematics of some of the other HT’s out there. I’m a network engineer and the way things are tied together is important to me. Just a thought…

------------------
Roberts Family Theater

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
David,

You could either buy a dedicated scaler like the DVDO or you could go the home theater computer route and use a software solution like DScaler. Search the HTPC forum for "DScaler" and you will find a wealth of information.

------------------
Sc>cc>oc>tc>tc> Gc>ac>mc>mc>ac>nc>sc>
Visit the Scooterplex
Let's hear it for Enterprise on HDNet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.