AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Was told to post this here. Hope you can help!

Been on here for a bit looking at different threads and such. Went to BB the other day and listened to quite a few speakers. I really like Bowers and Wilkins. Heard the c9's at the store but not sure im willing to put 3k into just two speakers.

What I have now...

Room: 20x20

52 inch Sharp Aquos

321 Bose System (No HDMI input)

PS4

Five Berkin Theatre Seats

All bought in 2007

What I am looking for...

From what I read on here the Bowers and Wilkins 683's might be the bang for the buck I am looking for. Do I need to test them out if I liked the C'9's or just take it that I will like them but they wont be quite as nice? I've read that I may want to up the system from the 600 line to the C line for the Center Speaker... Agree or not necessary. Not sure if I want to go 5 speaker or 7. The other thing is I got no idea about what receiver I should get and if I need a AMP. Don't really even know what that is lol. Just that people have said that these speakers need a lot of juice. I am into iphones and such so I guess Iplay would be nice to have with it. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
Making a duplicate thread (in less than an hour no less) is bad mojo. You need to pick one or the other.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the 683s and love them. I'm always amazed at how clear the highs are and punchy the mids are. Of course, I added a sub and a center, eventually. All in all, very happy w/ the set up. I bought mine from Modia. MIght want to check to see if you can find one near you. I'm doubting that BB will let you haggle on the price of those beauties.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Happy 684 owner here (with HTM62 center). First thing you need to do is establish a budget. Don't be afraid to haggle. Best Buy knocked off about 15% for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1519741/help-build-my-bowers-and-wilkins-system#post_24406440

Making a duplicate thread (in less than an hour no less) is bad mojo. You need to pick one or the other.
Sorry I will remove or ask for other one to be removed I was recommended to have it here! Thanks for input so far guys keep it coming I am pumped and YES haggling works everywhere and when I say that I mean it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Any recommendations on if I need a amp or what receiver I shhould get? What about having a C series as my center speaker or a 600 series?

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the htm62 that works great, all powered by a denon avr-1709 and sounds fantastic. I'm don't have a separate amp to drive speakers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

wow thats a 300 receiver the guys at best buy told me I have to buy a high end one for those speakers and I hear a lot of people in here talking about how you need one too or a separate amp system. Do you have any other speakers for rear or surround? Do you have a subwoofer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a cheapo sub: $100 costco special and no surrounds. I don't get to hear this setup much these days w/ a relatively new little one, but as I remember, I'm still a big fan. I always play w/ the idea of getting a better sub, but never pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Sutton  /t/1519741/help-build-my-bowers-and-wilkins-system#post_24407654

wow thats a 300 receiver the guys at best buy told me I have to buy a high end one for those speakers and I hear a lot of people in here talking about how you need one too or a separate amp system. Do you have any other speakers for rear or surround? Do you have a subwoofer?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure power is power (wattage wise), where you get into the high end w receivers is bells and whistles IMO. I have 2 other receivers, both yamaha's, but never powered the B&Ws with either of them. I'd bet they'd still sound good. The Denon has a good sound processor, volume limiter and auto EQ, all of which I'm a fan of.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Just found a pair of 683 tower speakers used (Bought FEB 2012, mint condition) for $1150. I know retail they are $1500. Is that a good deal or does it need to be cheaper considering the 2 years that are on it? I was thinking of trying of asking 1000 if you think it's worth it. Not sure what you guys feel about used speakers and how much they should depreciate with time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think i spent 1400 for them (pair, including tax) in 2009, so that's not great, but it's still less than 1400! BB has them for about the same price, on sale, but I bet you could talk them down a bit and maybe take advantage of 18 months financing, which can help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How to connect the speaker wires to the Denon receiver / amplifier? I see 4 connectors on the back of the speaker. Which gauge wires are better? My home theater room size is 35 X16 Feet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts