AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my theater room that houses a 133" projector setup. I was originally just going to get a Kef-3005 speaker setup but decided against it. I am now thinking that a floor standing speaker setup will give me better sound.

My room size is 13' W x 21' L x 8' H. My seating is about 15'-16' from the screen. This setup will only be used for watching movies and playing games. I have an Onkyo 606 receiver, PS3 and Xbox 360.

I just recently started researching speakers and found that there are a ton of available options all at a similar price point. I am looking to budget at around $1000 for the whole setup including sub. I really like strong bass that you can feel and clear/loud dialogue.

Fronts: All about $200 each

1. Polk Audio Monitor 70

2. Polk Audio RTi8

3. INFINITY PRIMUS P362

Center: About $100

1. Polk Audio CSi3

2. Polk CSi5 "twice as much"

Sub: $300-$400

1. Infinity PS 12

2. Infinity CSW10

3. JBL SUB12

4. Polk Audio PSW505

5. BIC H-100

6. A3 - 250

7. A2 - 300 Subwoofer

Surrounds: $150 pair

1. Rti6

Im open to all suggestions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Between the Polks, there is no contest between RTi8 and the Monitor 70, especially if you are willing to put the money down for a high quality sub, which you seem to be. If you (or more importantly, the wife) can stomach the looks, then the A2-300 is a no-brainer here.

Also, if you are going with the RTi6 for rears (any reason you don't want the RTi4s?) and the CSi for the center, then the RTi8s will be better for your fronts, as they are all timbre-matched

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will say the same thing i said in a similar post. I would defintely look into the JBL L Series! I have only heard good things from the L Series (not counting the sub which isnt that bad either)

There is a Harman Audio Ebay store that sells perfectly good refurbished speakers for amazing prices.

The JBL L880's,L890's = Fronts (eBay) $180 Shipped a piece!

JBL LC1, LC2 = Center (eBay) $130 shipped

JBL L810,L820,L830's = Rear (Ebay) $160 Shipped a pair!

Definitely recommend the Bic H-100 = Sub (Ebay) $250 shipped! Offer the guy that sells them $195-$200 and he will accept the offer + Shipping costs

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would the RTI4's be better then the RTI6's for the surrounds? No reason why I didn't include them, just seen that the two models were priced similar.

I was just chatting with someone from Elemental Designs and he was recommending the A7S-450 & A5-350 woofers for my setup/room. Both of these are about double what I wanted to pay for this piece. Would the a2-300 feel under powered and not loud enough for my setup/room if I were to go with the Polk setup? Also, is my receiver going to be up to the task of powering these speakers? I still have about three weeks to return it and get something else.

I'll also check out the JBL stuff.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood /forum/post/14337999

Would the RTI4's be better then the RTI6's for the surrounds? No reason why I didn't include them, just seen that the two models were priced similar.

I was just chatting with someone from Elemental Designs and he was recommending the A7S-450 & A5-350 woofers for my setup/room. Both of these are about double what I wanted to pay for this piece. Would the a2-300 feel under powered and not loud enough for my setup/room if I were to go with the Polk setup? Also, is my receiver going to be up to the task of powering these speakers? I still have about three weeks to return it and get something else.

I'll also check out the JBL stuff.

The a5-350 is awesome. Thats what I've have and iI dont regret it. Besides my room is a bit larger than your with opening back at one side, so it will do you find.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I have decided on the Polk RTi8 for the fronts and the CSi5 for the center. Now I need to figure out what sub and surrounds to get!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts